So, the team from Immortal Iron Fist (without Brubaker) go from the mystical world of Danny Rand to the very real streets of NYC in Hawkeye.  In this first issue, Clint fires one arrow (on the very first page) and is never in his superhero costume.  This first, self-contained, story is about what being an Avenger without superpowers, super brains, or a mystical homeland is like when you're not on a mission with all of those other crazy-amazing people.  It's about the punishment your body takes and interacting with fellow New Yorkers and getting in over your head and the karma of taking care of those who can't always take care of themselves. 

And the art is beautiful.

And Clint gets a dog.

I can't wait for the next issue.

Views: 890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm really hoping that it stays a "mentor-mentee" relationship despite all clues we've been given. My hope is that Kate will maybe long for Clint, but that their storyline will buck conventions and he will either 1.) be mature and let her know that it wouldn't be right, or 2.) she will be grossed out by his loose relationships with women and therefore will seek out people her own age. Or maybe a combination of the two.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The best thing about this comic is the relationship between Hawkeye and the female Hawkeye, Kate Bishop (her first appearance on Earth-J).

Also there's Hawkeye's relationshipS with Spider-Woman in Avengers AND Black Widow in Avengers Assemble AND conflicted feelings about both Mockingbird and the Scarlet Witch!

Where would Clint find the time (and the energy) to handle a barely twenty year old girlfriend??

I say just get him back together with Bobbi. After all they've been through, I think it's time for them to work it out (assuming she is currently alive. If not, wait for her to come back again)

I suspect that the relationship with Spider-Woman is going to become the new norm in all other Marvel comics, outside of this mini-series or on-going   I think that the nature of his relationship with her was depicted rather well in a recent issue of the New Avengers where we see their shorts pilled up next to the bed.

When Hawkeye started leading the Secret Avengers, where Black Widow was already on the team, I inwardly groaned, fearing that there would be the love/hate thing, inevitably turning into bedroom frolics. Not that I have anything against sex, but I am kinda tired of that scenario, and the Hawkeye/Black Widow relationship has been buried for 500 years, plus both are in other relationships now (Widow pretty firmly attached to Winter Soldier). To my delight, their former relationship didn't even surface in dialogue, and Widow quit when Hawkeye made a bad command decision and wouldn't back down when faced with contrary evidence. That's a good reason to quit, and had nothing to do with ancient romantic attachments.

Also, it seems his marriage to Mockingbird is a big negatory right now, too. I was following the issues where they got divorced (Avengers? New Avengers? One of those Hawkeye/Mockinbird mini-series?), but the reasons why seemed muddy to me and I didn't care enough to re-read more carefully to see if I'd missed anything. But Mockingbird seems to driven a stake through the heart of their marriage and doesn't even seem to like Clint any more, much less have unresolved feelings. Plus, she seems to have evaporated from the MU.

So, as Kirk said, I think the Spider-Woman thing is now the status quo. That makes a weird meta sense to me, because I never felt like Spider-Woman was a very viable character, and was only resurrected because she was part of Brian Bendis's childhood and he wanted her to be in his comic book, so there. But now that she's here, and the sainted Bendis loves her, it feels to me that other writers are trying their best to make her viable, and by giving her a spotlight with fan-fave Hawkeye is a way to do that. 

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

captain comics said,

I inwardly groaned, fearing that there would be the love/hate thing, inevitably turning into bedroom frolics. Not that I have anything against sex, but I am kinda tired of that scenario...

T.M.I.     T.M.I...

I didn't want to know about Captain Comics' problems in the bedroom....

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

*Ahem* Not quite THAT buried yet!

Looks like he's notching another arrow! ;-)

That's funny, I didn't see that scene in the movie...

Rich Steeves said:

I say just get him back together with Bobbi. After all they've been through, I think it's time for them to work it out (assuming she is currently alive. If not, wait for her to come back again)

That's funny. I agree.

I think Cherry will be the woman in his life for the time being...at least in this book.  I love this comic waaaaaay too much and consider it a stand-alone Hawkeye thing...sort of a TV series.

Like Arrow...only good.

Of course, if Hawkeye and the DCnU Green Arrow were published in B&W and with no names, could you tell the difference?

Yes...very much so.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service