As we've discussed new Number Ones HERE and HERE, I've begun to notice that LGBTQ characters have become so commonplace they're hardly worth mention (because we're not mentioning them). I mean, when Batgirl got a trans roommate and lesbian character Batwoman got her own title, that was NEWS! But now that doesn't appear to be the case any more. Marvel's Angela has her own title, and nobody's even bothered to mention that she co-stars with her female lover. (Has she always been gay? I've never read about her before.)

I'm thinking of writing a column about this. I will if the evidence supports my anecdotal observation. So help me out, Legionnaires -- how many LGBTQ characters of recent vintage can you remember? Or  tolder characters who have recently been revealed to be gay -- I'm not picky.

I've got a few of my own I want to mention, but first I want to hear from you folks. Sound off!

Views: 745

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yet the woman that tried to get him to marry her for years isn't.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Batman is still straight.

And Cloud before he/she turned out to be a talking nebula. But was that his idea from the start or did he add that because Marvel said he couldn't have a sex changing character back in the 1980s?

Is it still canon (to the extent DC even still has "canon" anymore) that the Kathy Kane who wanted to marry Batman was the aunt of the Kate Kane who wanted to marry Maggie Sawyer?

Ron M. said:

Yet the woman that tried to get him to marry her for years isn't.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Batman is still straight.

If every story now counts like they said recently then it's canon...somewhere...

How is Betty/Bette related to them now?

Bette has appeared in Batwoman as Kate's cousin, so I'm guessing that she's still Kathy's niece.  Am I the only one who thinks it's interesting (but not in a good way) that the early 1960's Betty Kane Bat-Girl was consistently  portrayed as smarter and more generally competent than the post-Crisis Bette Kane Flamebird ever was?

In the same way post-Crisis Captain Marvel acts a lot more childishly than pre-Crisis Cap ever did.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Speaking of changing tastes, writer Michael L. Fleischer tried to breathe new life into this tired…"
4 hours ago
"Continuing on ... Jonah Hex graduated to his own series, titled Jonah Hex of course (March-April…"
4 hours ago
"Continuing this saga ... All-Star Western was retitled Weird Western Tales with issue #12…"
4 hours ago
"Another case of retitling but not renumbering: All-Star Western #1 (August-September 1970) Final…"
4 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 885 Super-Heroines
"Added Blackhawk Britannia The Choir Cutie Daiten Ladies Daiten Solaria 1 Daiten Solaria…"
5 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 870 Super-Heroines
"I'm not against "duplicates", per se, I've got three "Storms" onnthe…"
6 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"Eric Choi's Just Like Being There-- Hard SF from the award-winning author and aerospace…"
7 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"They do explain why they didn't choose Sgt. Rock, though. It was also, supposed to be out…"
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Moving to a new volume is like losing one's virginity: once it's done, there's no…"
10 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"I think the term "comic book industry" is an oxymoron. I always say "comic book…"
10 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"In Secret Society of Super-Villains 5, by Bob Rozakis, Rich Buckler, and Vince…"
10 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"Some perspective on the size of the comic book industry.  On the radio today I heard that in…"
11 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service