1. How is the Coronavirus situation where you live? What's closed down? Have you gone out much? Are you (Oh, what's the trendy term now " Self-distancing "?) staying inside as a precaution or actually infected or is anyone else you know? I hope, if so, you're well. Let's...well, exchange comments.
  2.   I am now in Portland, Oregon. The Govenor, and then, locally, Portland declared a state of emergency. I saw the comment made that Oregon was the furthest behind on dealing with CV of the 3 West Coast states.
  3.   I went out yesterday ( Sun.), I am ill and had sleep to make up to-day (Mon.) and ended up not going out - I may go out across the street to a all-nite grocery tonite-early Tues. I have not heard of a regular medical appointment Tues. being cancelled.

Views: 1792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff, I just saw the post regarding your job loss. I echo the sentiments so eloquently expressed by Commander B.

In 2013 at age 56 I had to collect unemployment for the first time in my life - it was a very humbling experience to say the least. Hang in there my friend.

Day 3: Little change so far. The outpouring of support I have received has been truly heartwarming. "Eloquent" is exactly the word I would have used to describe Adam's post. the actual words used in my dismissal were, "There is no place for you in the new organization." I tried not to take that too personally, because those were the same words used in the announcement of the managing directors, including my boss's boss, who was also present for my exit interview.

I don't think I've ever mentioned how much I love my job... loved. One of my earliest favorite shows was Star Trek; I really appreciated the diversity of the crew. I may have mentioned from time to time that my workplace was "more diverse than the Starship Enterprise," and that's true. Over the years I have worked side by side with people from all over the world... and I mean all over the world. In July of last year we moved into a brand new, state-of-the-art facility was was as much an advance beyond out previous facility (built in 1990) as the Enterprise-D was over Captain Kirk's ship. 

Whereas most of the workforce has been working from home for the past few moths, I was one of 4% who chose to continue to physically come into work every day. (Doing so was still maintaining "social distancing"; instead of, say, 100 people in my wing every day, there were six. 

Okay. that's all for now.

Sadly I find myself in a similar situation as I am not able to return to work, my benefits there have been exhausted. I am trying to get Social Security disability and had a delay as the paperwork that I received mis-spelled my first name as "Phillip". Since these are legal documents, I had to wait for a new, corrected package.

As Data once said to Doctor Pulaski, "One is my name, the other is not!"

I have always wondered why his name was not "Datum" as "data" is plural.

Seriously, I hope everything works out for you, as I hope for us all.

Amen, my friend!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I have always wondered what his name was not "Datum" as "data" is plural.

Seriously, I hope everything works out for you, as I hope for us all.

I had been going in to work every day up until I lost my job. Other than that, we went to the grocery store, the liquor store (every once in a while) and my LCS for as long as we have been able. But that's been pretty much it. Tracy has been on vacation for the past week, just because she needed a break, not because we had anywhere we wanted to go. At one point, she suggested a drive to Waco (an hour and a half) or to Granbury (about half that, I think), just to get out of the house. I didn't want to go to either of those places, but I've been running my errands during the day the during the week and stores have generally been pretty empty and traffic light.

Last February we spent a couple of days spaced over three weeks hitting every Half Price Books in the metroplex. Since it's been a good five months since we did that, I suggested we go to the three closest locations yesterday, just to give us something to do before she returns to work on Monday. Granted it was a Friday rather than a mid-week day, but man, people were out in force! It was like a pre-pandemic weekend. I know I have no room to talk because we were out, too, but I couldn't believe how many people were out on a weekday afternoon. It took us maybe a full minute to back out of our space at the mid-town location due to the constant flow of traffic in the parking lot.

We decided to stop by Total Wine & More on the way home so I cold pick up a little something for the weekend, and it was packed, too. I'd say there were about 100 customers in the store, all socially distanced and wearing masks... except one woman. she was ugly (in every sense of the word) and, i could tell, just spoiling for a fight. Masks are required to enter the store and usually they have an employee posted, but not yesterday for whatever reason.

I'm so ready for this to be over.

We just got word last week, that we are going to be working from home until at least 3-31-2021. That will be over a year for me minimum. Although, at this point I absolutely love working from home.

We also learned that a large portion of our customer service reps are going permanent work from home.

Three months after my previous post, we no longer go to the liquor store or Half Price Books. I go to the grocery store and my LCS and that's pretty much it. I also give tracy a ride to work every day and pick her up just to get out of the house and listen to Doctor Who or music (which I could, admittedly, do in the house but I don't). For the first five years of my career I worked either the twilight shift (6P-2A) or midnights (11P-7A). that's all my seniority could hols at the time, but I loved it! About 25 years ago a transferred to the corporate offices and worked a day shift (7A-4P). It took some getting used to. I used to say that I was a morning person by habit, but a night person by nature. Now, after 25 years, I think it's safe to say I'm a morning person both by habit and nature. Instead of setting my morning alarm for 5:30, it's now set for 6:00. (Doesn't matter; I'm always up before the alarm, anyway.)

I'm still ready for this to be over, but I'm not about to grow complacent. I do think that whatever goes around, comes around, and it's not time to let our guard down. When I was young, I used to consider myself to be a rule-breaker, but not so much anymore. I consider it a matter of discipline to be a rule-follower. For example, I have to drive through several school zones every morning taking Tracy to work (no matter which route I take; they're unavoidable). I don't like driving 20 mph but I do, even when there are no other cars and not a person in sight.

I'm not particularly fond of wearing a mask, either, but when I am out in public, I do. I don't wait until I'm steps away from entering a store, either; I put it on in the car before I walk across the parking lot. (i don't wear it in the car, though; I don't really get people who do, especially when they're in the car alone.) Because I don't like wearing them, I find it easy to stay at home. 

I'm ambivalent about returning to the workforce at this time. (I did put in for what would have been my dream job, but I didn't get it.) It took a while to get used to the new abnormal, but I've got a schedule, and I keep busy. I do anticipate getting called back to my job, but not for a while yet. I anticipate that things will start to improve in 2021... as  long as there is a plan.

I've been fortunate. As an essential worker, as defined by the federal government, the changes have been minimal. Yes, I wear a mask when not in my office, but with my door closed, its not required. I do have to go through a temperature check each morning; but again, no big deal. I do miss being able to enter a restaraunt, choosing a table, and ordering a meal. Alot of places are now take out only, making everything feel like fast food.

Recently, I returned home to Georgia to visit my kids. What a stark difference from the Northeast. I couldn't tell you if in fact masks were required. Most folks didn't wear one. Oddly, everyone seemed to carry one, usually putting them on only when encountering those that did, as a courtesy.

Over in the thread "What Made You Smile Today?", I shared a few stories from my doctor, who always has interesting tales to tell, many amusing, some not.

One that wasn't so amusing: He told me his brother got COVID-19 and was hospitalized and put on a respirator. The hospital is so full of COVID patients that they couldn't get a room for him, so he spent a day and a half on the respirator in the hallway.

His brother is an ER nurse in that hospital.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service