From Marvel Entertainment

Nov. 23, 2011

Marvel’s First Family Reignites in FANTASTIC FOUR #600

The Human Torch Makes His Stunning Return In Oversized 50th Anniversary Issue

New York – “FLAME ON” once more! Fantastic Four #600, available today in comic stores and on the Marvel Comics app, brings the Human Torch back to the Marvel Universe. But, after his dramatic death, how did this founding member of the FF return? And, when one of their deadliest enemies mounts his greatest assault, will this family reunion be short-lived? The answers arrive in this giant-sized issue—with 100 pages of all-new stories—from writer Jonathan Hickman and some of the most acclaimed artists in comics today, including Steve Epting, Leinil Yu and more! This issue also features covers from the some of the biggest names in comics, including John Romita Jr, Gabriele Dell’Otto, Arthur Adams and Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada!

“As befits the 50th anniversary of the team, this is the biggest Fantastic Four story we’ve ever told, from the scope of the story to the sheer amount of new—and important—stories in this issue.” said Tom Brevoort, Marvel SVP/Executive Editor. “Jonathan Hickman, along with our unrivaled art team, have pulled out all the stops for a story that epitomizes why the Fantastic Four are some of the most important characters in pop culture history. Fantastic Four #600 is going to blow you away!”

Then, next week, the story continues in FF #12, from Hickman and artist Juan Bobillo, as the story you’ve demanded is finally told—learn just how Doctor Doom and the youngest members of the Future Foundation will save us all!

Fantastic Four #1 debuted in 1961, kicking off the “Marvel Age” of comics and dramatically increasing the popularity of super heroes. As the progenitor of Marvel Universe, the Fantastic Four set a new tone for super hero comics with its nuanced characterization, reflection of real world fears and progressive depiction of super heroes. Through the years, the Fantastic Four have been involved in many of comics most important & memorable storylines, from the introduction of Galactus to the chart-topping Civil War and the recent death of the Human Torch, which garnered mainstream media attention worldwide. Earlier this year the group was reinvented as the Future Foundation in the new FF series and has been one of Marvel’s top-selling, most acclaimed launches of the year.

It’s the book that has everyone buzzing—check out Fantastic Four #600, available right now in comic stores and on the Marvel Comics app!

FANTASTIC FOUR #600 (SEP110551)

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art by STEVE EPTING, LEINIL YU, CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO, FAREL DALRYMPLE & MING DOYLE

Cover by GABRIELE DELL’OTTO

ON SALE NOW!

FF #12 (SEP110556)

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by JUAN BOBILLO
Cover by STEVE EPTING

ON SALE – 11/30/11

Views: 940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah!  Thanks for the clarification, Cap!  I was wondering why Crystal was in blue.

Captain Comics said:

There's a reason for that, Oric. Art Adams's cover is an homage to a Jack Kirby cover from the 1960s, during a time when Sue was on maternity leave and Crystal of the Inhumans was taking her place. Note that Crystal is in FF blue, not her usual yellow, although the "4" symbol is covered by her hair.

I just can't get enthusiastic about anything Marvel does anymore.

Sir, I have some lovely swampland in Florida I'd like to sell you... :D

Lee Houston, Junior said:

DC finally sealed off their revolving door to Death's headquarters at the end of The Blackest Night.

Word.

Not that that's a bad thing.  I hate it when they try to cut off an entire type of story simply because some creators can't handle it.  

Randy Jackson said:

Sir, I have some lovely swampland in Florida I'd like to sell you... :D

Lee Houston, Junior said:

DC finally sealed off their revolving door to Death's headquarters at the end of The Blackest Night.

Stories about people coming back from the dead?

I think Johns can handle it...

Anyway, whatever the AWESOME! FOREVER! consequences of Blackest Night were, they only held for a year or so, and now its a whole new universe.

Whatever the merits of that story, turns out having any lasting effect on the DCU wasn't one of them.  And we have yet to find out if the DCnU has a pre- or post-Galilean cosmology.

Or maybe Johns has been subtly* stating in the new GL books that the Earth-centric stuff still holds true?  I haven't been reading them.

* I know.  :-)

I'm a bit amused that we all knew Johnny was not going to stay "dead" and would probably return for Fantastic Four #600 yet we are all annoyed that our predictions are coming true!

They never showed Johnny dying. He was shown being horded by some big bugs and sealed off from Ben Grimm, but that's all that happened. They had the whole funeral because they needed some tragedy so that we could get their reactions to what they thought was his death, but we as the readers were never even tricked.

They never even tried to fool the comics reading public, and Hickman said in at least one podcast that Johnny would indeed be back before his run was over.

I'm with Portelli, only times ten!

Add me to Philip and Jeff's list.

Having read the comic itself, I wasn't all that impressed by the story.

Story schmory.

What did you 6hink of the marketing campaign?

Story = surprise your readers

Marketing = ensure they know exactly what they're getting, when, and that they need to get it because their life will be meaningless without it.

The suspense and drama are supposed to come from how Johnny comes back, not the when which we all figured out correctly.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I'm not annoyed, merely dead inside to any suspense or drama that marvel or Hickman tried to generate by this.  

Philip Portelli said:

I'm a bit amused that we all knew Johnny was not going to stay "dead" and would probably return for Fantastic Four #600 yet we are all annoyed that our predictions are coming true!

I can't think of anytime Sue died off the top of my head.

Reed was killed (for an issue) during the Byrne and again for a longer period during the DeFalco run.

Ben was killed during the Waid run.

I can't think of any times for Sue, unless it has been since the Waid run.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Does this mean that every member of the FF has died at least once?  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service