Most of you know I've been a journalist, mostly as a copy editor, for many, many moons. I did start out as a reporter for a not-even-semi-metropolitan daily newspaper, but most of my writing for the past several years is what I've posted here in various iterations of the Comics Cave.

Late last year, a dear friend steered me to a freelance job writing about comics. I applied, armed with writing samples culled from what I've posted here and kind guidance from some stalwart members of the Legion. They liked what they saw, but asked for an original sample ... then put me on a trial basis. 

So, I am now writing lists for CBR.com. I'm supposed to do two or three a week, and they're on comics, or comics-related movies, or comics-related TV shows. My latest one is a topic near and dear to my heart: "The 15 Best Comic Book Journalists". An archive of my other lists are here.

Of course, I can trust you guys with my secret identity, being fellow members of the Legion. I'm sure no one has any secret protocols to take me out in case I go rogue .... 

Views: 1583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another list of mine on CBR for your perusal: "Get Organized: The 25 Deadliest Supervillain Crime Bosses at Marvel"

My latest at CBR: "The 20 Most Obscure Superheroes (That Only True Nerds Will Recogni...

I had a bit of fun with this one, because some of these characters are really strange. Unfortunately, I couldn't include the Red Bee, a Golden Age superhero who fights crime with a stinger gun and trained bees -- including his favorite, Michael, who is kept in a compartment in the Red Bee's belt. That's even dumber than Arm-Fall-Off Boy because the Red Bee wasn't meant to be a joke character. 

Guess I'm a true nerd but I recognized all of them.

I owe a big debt of thanks to World's Worst Comics Awards from Kitchen Sink, a lovely two-issue miniseries from 1990 and 1991 that delves into some of the most bizarro comics ever put into print. I never would have heard of Dell's Dracula if I hadn't read WWCA, nor would I have deigned to buy not just one but two copies of Skateman.

In 1966, jumping on the "camp" bandwagon, Dell also had a superhero Frankenstein.

True. Dell also did a comic based on the Wolfman. I mention both of those in the article.

Dell's Wolfman only used the name. IIRC, he was a spy and not really a werewolf.

btw, in my "Mystery of Suspense" notes, I have the Dell Frankenstein ("Frank Stone") married to Marilyn Munster.

Right. Dell's Wolfman was called "Werewolf" because Universal Studios holds the copyright on the name "Wolfman." 

Dell began its Frankenstein and Dracula series with adaptations of the Universal movies. But the characters are in the public domain, so for their ongoing series, Dell just ran with it. 

Then there is Neutro, a whole different level of obscure and just plain “missed the mark.”  “The Most Astounding Super Hero of All!”  But on the other hand, Dell was trying mecha decades before everyone else (on sale 1966–of course, they also published Dr. Who in 1966 for American audiences, maybe they were visionaries).

"Neutro does not know the difference between right and wrong."

They seem to have anticipated the grim and gritty comics approach.

Hey, friends! I started branching out a bit; I am now also a contributor for the Bam! Smack! Pow! site within Fansided, writing about comics and comics-related movies and TV shows. Here's my first piece:

"Joivan Wade is Cyborg in DC Universe’s upcoming Doom Patrol"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service