I'm Still Alive for Reals!

As you guys may (or may not) have noticed, I have been absent from this site for awhile. That's because I suffered a heart attack on Aug. 29 but didn't go the hospital until the 31th. I thought that I had the flu or something then the truth came out.

I was transferred to another hospital and had quintuple bypass surgery on Sept. 4 which was successful. I also found out that I was diabetic so that was another shock to me. After a very unpleasant week, I was sent to a rehabilitation center for two weeks and yesterday came home!

While not in massive pain, I am still uncomfortable, tired, walking with a cane and don't feel like me. My 80 year old mother who lives with me is safe with my brother in Pennsylvania though she wants to come home but I'm nowhere near ready for that yet. Another brother is here with me now until Saturday. My family has been a blessing during all this.

My point to all this is that I'm alive and will get better. I will probably add some content as I get stronger. I just wanted to say that I missed all this (as I used my phone for family calls only while in the hospital). 

I'm glad to home with my stuff and am now playing catch up both here and in life. Some here are men of God so any good thoughts will bring great solace to me.

So everyone please take care of yourselves, get check ups and urge your loved ones to do the same.

Bless you all!

l

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Glad you're still alive.. Good luck to you.

• Philip, whenever I visit this site's home page, and see that there's a new reply from you, I go to read it eagerly.  Even if the subject isn't one that I would normally bother with, I have always found your comments to be insightful, entertaining, and all round interesting.

I'm shocked to hear of your illness, and relieved that you seem to be recovering.  I wish you all the very best for continued improvement.  I'll look forward to reading more of your comments when you feel sufficiently well.  But please, not before - your recovery is the most important thing!

All the best.

• Very glad to hear that your bypass went well. Also very glad that they discovered your diabetes. Undetected diabetes is* very destructive. Mine is "entry level," so far controlled by a low dosage pill. I urge anyone reading this to get medical checkups. Diabetes has no symptoms but can be detected with a simple blood test.

* is, not can be

• Happy to hear you're on the mend, Philip! Scary stuff. Diabetes is no fun (my mother-in-law suffers from it, so my wife is constantly on the lookout for herself). But better to know about it than not.

• So glad you're still with us, Philip...and glad to see you're with us here in the comics cave again! Take good care of yourself, buddy. Don't rush it.
  • Thank you all for the kind words! 

It's going to be a BIG change in my life and I don't know what tomorrow brings, but I'm going to do my best!

• Oh wow, Philip. Glad to hear you are doing better, and are on the mend. 

And welcome back! 

• Wow, Philip! Thank goodness you figured it out without anything more serious happening. Stay well, get better, and take advantage of it.

Listen to your doctors!

• Welcome back, Philip! 

Peter Wrexham said:

Philip, whenever I visit this site's home page, and see that there's a new reply from you, I go to read it eagerly.  Even if the subject isn't one that I would normally bother with, I have always found your comments to be insightful, entertaining, and all round interesting.

I'm shocked to hear of your illness, and relieved that you seem to be recovering.  I wish you all the very best for continued improvement.  I'll look forward to reading more of your comments when you feel sufficiently well.  But please, not before - your recovery is the most important thing!

All the best.

I couldn't have said it better. Here's to a full and speedy recovery!

• Glad to here you are alright!

Welcome to the diabetic club! Being diabetic for almost 40 years, I have found a positive attitude helps a lot. Please keep up with the meds even when you feel well. This is a disease that can be misleading when things are going well. The "I feel fine so I  don't need to take my pill (or insulin)" can and will lead the serious complications. 

This reply was deleted.