As you guys may (or may not) have noticed, I have been absent from this site for awhile. That's because I suffered a heart attack on Aug. 29 but didn't go the hospital until the 31th. I thought that I had the flu or something then the truth came out.

I was transferred to another hospital and had quintuple bypass surgery on Sept. 4 which was successful. I also found out that I was diabetic so that was another shock to me. After a very unpleasant week, I was sent to a rehabilitation center for two weeks and yesterday came home!

While not in massive pain, I am still uncomfortable, tired, walking with a cane and don't feel like me. My 80 year old mother who lives with me is safe with my brother in Pennsylvania though she wants to come home but I'm nowhere near ready for that yet. Another brother is here with me now until Saturday. My family has been a blessing during all this.

My point to all this is that I'm alive and will get better. I will probably add some content as I get stronger. I just wanted to say that I missed all this (as I used my phone for family calls only while in the hospital). 

I'm glad to home with my stuff and am now playing catch up both here and in life. Some here are men of God so any good thoughts will bring great solace to me.

So everyone please take care of yourselves, get check ups and urge your loved ones to do the same.

Bless you all!

l

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good lord! *Choke!*

That's terrifying, Phillip, and so glad it turned out as well as it did. We need you, partner, so you're not allowed to go anywhere, OK?

Again, thank you all for the support.

Right now, my chest feels like it's wrapped in a tight bandage, just painful enough to be make it hard to rest easy but I am sleeping. My leg where they took the arteries from is stiff, making walking a chore.

And the diabetes testing is hard because I can't get blood from my fingertips consistently.

But things will get better hopefully day by day.

So glad to hear things are looking up Philip.

Best wishes

Someone once said, "Time doesn't rob; it embezzles."

One minute, you're fit and indestructible.  The next, it's hard to keep track of what part of your body is breaking down next.  It's the worst thing about reaching late middle- to old age:  the insecurity.

The trick to enduring it is to do exactly what you're doing now, Philip:  take control of the things you can control to improve and sustain your health, surround yourself with the support of family and friends, and---this one is easy, considering most of us who have chimed in here---remember that you aren't the only one going through the same sort of thing.  There's lots of practical help and moral support from those of us with the same experience.

I have to echo the words of so many others.  I especially look forward to your comments.  I know I can always count on you to register your opinion on my Deck Log Entries, and I've gone back repeatedly to re-read your "Questions About" posts.  You've always required me to do my best thinking, and that has been a pleasure.

Keep a steady strain, buddy!

Look into the Dexcom G6 continuous glucose monitor (if you have coverage, it can be expensive). It provides a reading every couple of minutes to either a receiver or your phone. I finger stick about once a week now. much better the the every 2 hours routine.

Philip Portelli said:

And the diabetes testing is hard because I can't get blood from my fingertips consistently.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service