I note that several fora seem to have vanished. The  "Sports" posts seem to have been folded into the "Non-Comics" forum, for example. The missing fora seem to have been ones that did not have heavy traffic. I imagine that the rationale was that there was not much point in having the board cluttered up with fora that saw little use.

Views: 739

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bravo for pinning "Comics for the Week of..." to the top of the main page. (I was going to suggest that.)

Thanks! It's an experiment. I've asked those who put together the list where they'd like to have it, and so far there's no consensus. So this is an experiment, to make sure it doesn't get lost. Want to see it listed in the big story every week? And if so, for how long?

Just to provide some feedback, I like it where it is now, near the top of the main page, and I think it should stay there for a week, until replaced (usually on friday) by the next week's list.

On another note, the "search" function hasn't been working for me for quite some time now, yet I gather it's working for others just fine. Do I need to change something on my settings? For example, If I go to the main forum and search for "Everett", I get the response, "Our aplogies--we couldn't find any discussions matching your search."

It's not you Jeff, the Ning search function is terrible.  I may be wrong (the more tech-savvy folks here might be able to suggest something) but I don't think you can change anything on your settings to improve it.

Jeff, the search function for Ning is terrible and will remain so in the foreseeable future. I don't see the gang at Ning fixing it anytime soon.

Your best bet is use Google search: SITE:http://captaincomics.ning.com/ 

and then whatever you are searching for.

Ah, yes, that works. That must be what others are doing. Thanks!

We need a reminder box to pop up when someone first enters the site. Something to the effect of "If you are a member please sign in". I think a lot of members forget to sign in and just start reading. This might help to encourage more participation if the member is already signed in. Maybe the box could pop up when a thread is opened from a Captain Comics email? It obviously needs to be phrased as a suggestion, not as a requirement.

What happened to the area on the home page that showed the first line or two of the most recent posts? I relied on that to know what threads were new and had the most recent conversations. 

I was just going to ask the same thing!

ClarkKent_DC said:

What happened to the area on the home page that showed the first line or two of the most recent posts? I relied on that to know what threads were new and had the most recent conversations. 

Richard Willis said:

We need a reminder box to pop up when someone first enters the site. Something to the effect of "If you are a member please sign in". I think a lot of members forget to sign in and just start reading. This might help to encourage more participation if the member is already signed in. Maybe the box could pop up when a thread is opened from a Captain Comics email? It obviously needs to be phrased as a suggestion, not as a requirement.

That should be something that is doable. I'll run it by the other mods and see what they thing/ get a consensus.  We welcome any ideas.

ClarkKentDC said:

Clark, that was removed since it duplicates the FORUM part that is also on the main page. It is higher on the page so it is easier to see. The Activity one you had to scroll down to see it.

Sadness. I liked that column. If you left the site active, it would show you how many new items were posted since you last refreshed. I found it easier to navigate through the forum using the newest items feature.

And the top discussions on the left don't match what the forum is doing. Some of the discussions haven't had any posts for days.

Also, you didn't have to "F5" to see what is new.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service