Where should I start? Netflix has the series on instant watch starting with the Christopher Eccleston series and onward. They might have some of the older ones for instant watch but the new stuff is what's featured right now.

I'm thinking of starting now, so hopefully some Doctor Who fans are online.

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to muddy the waters, but there are surely some episodes that show off just how great Tennant was without dragging you knee deep into continuity.  ("Blink", mentioned above, is a great ep, but intentionally Doctor-light, so it doesn't much show off Tennant's Doctor.)  Lemme think ...

Midnight and Planet of the Dead are good stand alones with David T.

Well, Eccleston only had a short run as the Doctor, so it's not a big commitment to start with his episodes.

'Fear Her' has a number of things going for it.  The setting in the London 2012 olympics, a key national (world) event such a short time n the future - and even shorter now - makes it somewhat special. 

It's practically mandatory that any horror stories with children in them - and many without - have to have a children's nursery rhyme or song that becomes increasingly more menacing as the story continues.  In 'Fear Her' it was Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree.  This is great simply because it is an Australian song about an Australian bird whose life is gay.

The song was in the news recently because another very famous, iconic Australian song was found to have lifted some riffs from it and it is still under copyright.

Compare Down Under and Kookaburra.

It's a sad piece of television that has nothing of interest or merit to it...

I've heard Kookaburra. My mom used to sing it to us when we were little. I'll have to check that episode out, Figs.

I started the first episode of the Matt Smith series this afternoon but I fell asleep because I played golf this morning and was tired. I liked what I saw. I'm watching the rest of it now.

I finished the episode: The Eleventh Hour. I liked it. It was fast paced and fun.
Jason Marconnet said:
I finished the episode: The Eleventh Hour. I liked it. It was fast paced and fun.

As "Intro of the New Doctor" episodes go, that's a good 'un.
That was my first exposure to the current 2000s Doctor Who. A terrific yet good-humored entry point.
There may be a couple of very minor good things going for it but "Fear Her" is cursed by a lousy story and even worse acting. Not Tennant and Piper, of course, but pretty much the rest of the cast and especially the little girl. If one is determined to see them all then go ahead. When I'm watching them over again, though, this is the one episode that I'll skip.

Photobucket Photobucket
I watched the next episode, don't remember what it was called. I lost interest with it. It started out pretty good and I'm not sure where it went wrong. I'm going to keep with it though. I don't think this is going to be a series I agressively try to watch all of at once. It'll probably be my go to when I can't make my mind up as to what I want to watch.
Do NOT go back to 1963...that way is for diehards only.

PPFFBBBFFTT!

I'm not planning on going way back unless I like the newer ones and want to see how it all started.

Exactly.
Jeff...you're a diehard...all the way.
Uh... thank you?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service