The success of the WONDER WOMAN movie may make DC revise the character yet again to have her debut not in World War II but in World War I. Stranger things have happened,

But what if they did? It would certainly limit her access to the other DC heroes but not deter it. There were heroes she can still encounter:

The greatest DC hero set in the WW I era was Rittmeister Baron Hans Von Hammer, a German pilot nicknamed "The Hammer of Hell" but known to the Allies as ENEMY ACE! Granted Von Hammer would fight against Diana but if he thought the German people were being manipulated and used, he would help her.

His American counterpart was Lt. Steve Savage, the BALLOON BUSTER, a maverick pilot with a yen for destroying zeppelins! He was later revealed to be the son of Brian Savage aka Scalphunter and the grandson of Matt Savage, Trail Boss!

The only drawback would be the similarity to Steve Trevor though Savage was less refined and more aggressive.

Another choice would be the reincarnating Doctor IMMORTAL MAN. He obviously was there in WW I and he possesses actual super-powers! And he had a villainous "double" there as well.

Another ally may be THE DEMON or at least JASON BLOOD. I'm not sure if Jason was turning into Etrigan during this period but he was surely there and his supernatural knowledge would make him a great partner of the Amazon Princess!

Other choices may include:

• Baron Winters
  • Crimson Avenger
  • Doctor Mist
  • Green Lantern Abin Sur
  • Hendrickson from the Blackhawks
  • I..Vampire
  • Uncle Sam

Next: Some Bad Guys!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• She could have been facing bad guys born well before the turn of the century, ones who had their origins in the civil war.  I wonder how she'd do against Mighelitto Lovelace?

• Certainly there could also be an incarnation of Hawkman and Hawkwoman in the WWI era. (Although they would need to die during or soon after the conflict, to allow them to reincarnate as the Halls for World War II.)

• Obviously the movie version and, I think, other versions of WW are ageless. You could have her facing bad guys in all eras.

• That's why I didn't include them. The timing would be really close to have Carter and Shiera be in their early twenties by 1939/1940.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Certainly there could also be an incarnation of Hawkman and Hawkwoman in the WWI era. (Although they would need to die during or soon after the conflict, to allow them to reincarnate as the Halls for World War II.)

• How would it limit her access to other heroes? Do you mean there would be less interaction in stories taking place before WWII?

• A World War I Wonder Woman could encounter time travelers such as Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, and the Legion of Super-Heroes.

• Yes, there were far less characters around from that period as opposed to the WWII era or characters who started from that era.

This is, of course, relevant if Wonder Woman was the only "major" DC hero to have been around in the 1915-1917 period.

Detective 445 said:

How would it limit her access to other heroes? Do you mean there would be less interaction in stories taking place before WWII?

• Rip Hunter, I could see. Booster Gold? Not so much.

The Legion?

There are no young heroes for them to recruit!

Unless they went for a young Diana before she left Paradise Island?

Now, that's a thought!

ClarkKent_DC said:

A World War I Wonder Woman could encounter time travelers such as Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, and the Legion of Super-Heroes.

• Another thing about Hawkman and Hawkgirl: if they were there during WW I, they would NOT be Hawkman and Hawkgirl. They may not be wearing costumes or masks nor would they necessarily be flying around with wings!

And they don't have to be American or British, either!

They could be the Chief and Etta Candy!

Or Von Hammer and his nurse!

• How about a DC Western hero in his or her old age? Wyatt Earp lived to 1929. Not Jonah Hex though, as his death story was presumably set before WWI.

Sgt. Rock as a little boy?

This reply was deleted.