If you got the call...

So over in the DC Universe goes boom again thread, Don Collett said:
As far as I understand it, the current creators have had enough advance notice to be able to wrap up all current storylines. So there will closure, or at least the attempt at same.

That just got me thinking: can you imagine being given the....responsibility? privilege? onus?...of wrapping up upwards of 72 years' of a character's story? That's an amazing prospect to consider. So...consider it.

Imagine you had gotten the call: DC, in preparation for this event, asked you to come up with the conclusion to a currently-running title in the old DC universe. Say you were given your choice of title; what title would you choose? How would you wrap it up? Would you make it conclusive, or leave an opening to return to the universe if this grand experiment fails?

Let's hear your thoughts below, Legionnaires!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" was exactly that story, wasn't it?

Honestly, I'd feel bad taking the assignment unless it was for a really minor character that nobody, not even its original creator, cares about. There is so much emotional investment in telling those stories over the years that I, an outsider, should not be given the assignment no matter how good my idea was. Maybe a "based on an idea by" credit but let those who have had a labor of love making these comics close them. I could say Booster Gold but Dan Jurgens should write that. I could say Black Lightning but Tony Isabella should write that. I could say Crispus Allen but Greg Rucka should write that.

I'll imagine, though, that I've been the writer on Green Lantern Corps. Kyle's only been around for a couple of decades but, hey, that's still older than my kids ages combined. I'd end the series with Kyle marrying Soranik and being named the second GL for her sector instead of being one of four Earth GLs. He'd still be retaining his place in the Honor Guard.

• ...You know , could it be that DC is not really going to " reboot - from a brand new beginning " all of their DCU heroes but , is using vague language to give us fan-persons the IMPRESSION that such will happen ?????
  • Ooh this is a good one. I'll have to think about it. Most of my knowledge of DC is really just going back to 2004. that would be mostly with Green Arrow and Green Lantern. I'll get back to you.
  • Well, the one story I always wanted to see, which Robert Kanigher always hinted about but never wrote, was "The Last Sgt. Rock Story." The way he posited it, it takes place on the last day of the war, and Rock and Easy Company are wiped out down to the last man, with Rock himself felled by the last shot fired.

They did a weak variation of that in Legacies #4, but I found it disappointing in that it happened in a backup strip in a maxi series that will be negated by the latest DC-wide reboot! That story needed to be in a special, like "The Last Jonah Hex Story"!

• I think I would love to do any of the team books -- JLA, JSA, Titans or any of the lesser known teams. Then I could wrap up a bunch of characters. Maybe a brief glimpse of the future of each past and present member.

I would certainly feel it was an honor.

• I'm getting that vibe as well. I would much more prefer a world where we've never met Batman before and he just now burst on the scene. I don't mind a world where there has been several Flashes and Green Lanterns and a Justice Society, but I want one where all the principles are new.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:
    ...You know , could it be that DC is not really going to " reboot - from a brand new beginning " all of their DCU heroes but , is using vague language to give us fan-persons the IMPRESSION that such will happen ?????
  • "The Last Joker Story."

The only question is just how dead and mangled he would be once the entire city of Gotham got its revenge on him ...!

• I love it!

ClarkKent_DC said:

"The Last Joker Story."

The only question is just how dead and mangled he would be once the entire city of Gotham got its revenge on him ...!

This reply was deleted.