We've all got a memory, a tale, of that one rare comic book  that we saw at a friend's house, at the beach, at the store, or the barber shop.

We have a memory of it, and of looking for it, or asking for it, or trying to trade for it, but never getting any luck in landing it.

Or, maybe against all odds, we DID find it, or scored it for a song.

This is your thread.  This is YOUR list.  This is where you should post that single most statisfying or frustrating pursuit.

I'll start:

When visiting my cousins, perhaps an hour north of our town in the middle 60s, I mentioned to them that I had fallen into reading and following the Fantastic Four.  Issue #60 had just come out, and I told t hem that it was the end of a major storyline with the Silver Surfer and Dr. Doom.  And that the last panel said, "Next: A New Danger Dawns".

My cousin made a smart-mouthed boast, "So, you don't know what the next issue is yet, huh?"

"NO, I don't," I admitted, instantly hooked and desirous for any information (He didn't have any idea either, but was just baiting me, teasing me.)  He refused to discuss it any further.

His mother, my aunt, remarked that "isn't that Marvel Comics the same as that Thor record you've got?"

Instantly, I was alert, as I knew there had been several LP records of the first Marvel heroes released in about 1965-66.  Cousin Kim had gotten one for his birthday or Christmas or something.

We went to their toy closet, and opening it up, found a tall stack of junk, notebooks, coloring books, kids books, comics, and odds and ends, that had been swept into a stack, out of sight. From among them, they pulled out the Golden Record album of Journey into Mystery #83, "The Stone Men from Saturn" debut of Thor.  The vinyl was not in a paper sleeve and faintly scratched, but intact, but the comic was missing. It should have been inside the sleeve with the black record.

I had only seen one similar record within the year. It was the FF version of the same release, and I had borrowed it and listened to the first FF adventure with the Mole Man, over and over. I had borrowed the record from another family, and returned it after a week.  But actually Thor wasn't as interesting to me, but I asked about the comic.  Comic books interested me.

"Oh, it's in there somewhere," said his mom, but she wouldn't let me unpack the closet and the topic was closed.

Several years later, we visited again, and I asked about the issue. No one was interested in pursuing it. I offered to unpack and repack the closet to find the issue, and while we did that quickly, we never found the issue. I quickly and carefully restacked the closet and regretfully put it out of my mind. It was gone.

About 18 years ago, my cousin Kim died. His had abused his liver and the transplant didn't take. He was dying of yellow jaundice. When we went up to see him for the final time, he was yellow-green and delerious. While we sat around making small talk, he was out of it on the couch.

Some how, the topic of the closet came up, and we opened it up. There in the top one or two items was the reprinted Thor adventure. It started on the inside front cover and ended on the inside rear cover.  I was puzzled, cause I didn't recall what this was at first. It had no price on it. I put it back on the stack and didn't bring it up during the wake.

On the ride home, it dawned on me that it was the long-lost missing reprint book that we had hunted for.  The key had been the lack of ads and that the story started and ended in b&w on the inside covers. There was no accounting for what had happened to it for 20 years. But now it was back!

Later that night, my cousin passed away, but we didn't return for the funeral.

I looked up the value of the book in the Overstreet price guide and mailed a letter to my surviving cousin, telling him what I thought the book was and what it was worth. I asked if he was interested in selling it, and he declined, saying it was part of his memories of his late brother. I understood. It was listed for just $4.00 in the guide. The memories were more precious. (Now, I see it listed for $1800!

I never saw it again.

Views: 2211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Of interest is the footnote where we find the note: 'Keep this book from Andrew Horn'!"

I KNEW it! :)

Andy

Thanks to eBay, reprint collections and loans from pals, I've managed to track down just about every comic I've ever really wanted to read. One has managed to elude me, mainly because I've never found it cheap enough that I was willing to buy it, and it's never been reprinted. I speak of the Silver Age classic meeting between Batman and Jerry Lewis, in AOJL # 97, written and drawn by two of my all-time favorite creators, Arnold Drake and Bob Oksner. Someday I'll track down a reasonably priced copy...

I don't mean to brag, but I have that comic. Also got the ones with Superman and Wonder Woman--the only one I'm missing is the Flash issue. Seems to me I got all of them at the mini-comic con we have here every couple of months and not all at the same time and they didn't cost very much. But that was probably twenty years ago now.

I have this feeling that an uncredited Dick Sprang helped out doing some of the costumed criminals--either that or Oksner was swiping, but I've never known Oksner to do that.

It's out on eBay now. Unfortunately the lowest price is $24US.

Sounds like a TPB with these several Jerry Lewis superhero guest shots would be a fun collection.

It would be fun, but the people representing Jerry Lewis (and Bob Hope) want Hollywood money for the licensing rights.

Ah yes, I see the multiple listings on ebay for the AOJL #97.

And i see by the listing in GCD that it has not been reprinted, but does contain the footnote: "Keep this from Dave Blanchard".

I, on the other hand, vaguely recall seeing it show up on the spinner rack in my rural Michigan town, possibly during the wintertime.  If I read it, I only flipped through it and don't recall it.

Dave I'm going to have an addendum put into my will for you. :)

Andy

I believe, Andy, that the legal term is "codicil."

So speaking of Uncle Jerry, is he as revered in Germany as he apparently is (or was) in France? Are there any other US "auteurs" celebrated in Germany that we in the US fail to appreciate for their auteurishness?

Does David Hasselhoff count? He's well regarded as a singer in Germany.

Dave said, "So speaking of Uncle Jerry, is he as revered in Germany as he apparently is (or was) in France? Are there any other US "auteurs" celebrated in Germany that we in the US fail to appreciate for their auteurishness?"

I know there are German books written about him and he got some kind of show biz award here about 10 years ago. That being said I have been trying to lobby for him getting an homage at the Berlin Film Festival but the person I spoke to basically told me "over my dead body".

The Captain said, "Does David Hasselhoff count? He's well regarded as a singer in Germany."

He has his fans here to be sure but you are thinking of Austria. Let's not confuse the two :)

Andy

We went to see a production of Damn Yankees several years ago. Lewis played the part of Applegate, and actually did a good job.

I honestly thought it was Germany where Hasselhoff was popular, Andy. I'll correct to "Austria" in my mental File of Useless Facts. (I realize that they are two separate countries!)

Andrew Horn said:

Dave said, "So speaking of Uncle Jerry, is he as revered in Germany as he apparently is (or was) in France? Are there any other US "auteurs" celebrated in Germany that we in the US fail to appreciate for their auteurishness?"

I know there are German books written about him and he got some kind of show biz award here about 10 years ago. That being said I have been trying to lobby for him getting an homage at the Berlin Film Festival but the person I spoke to basically told me "over my dead body".

The Captain said, "Does David Hasselhoff count? He's well regarded as a singer in Germany."

He has his fans here to be sure but you are thinking of Austria. Let's not confuse the two :)

Andy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service