Good afternoon.  For those who don't know me, my name's Mike, and I'm a comics addict.  On the old boards, I conducted a couple of polls to find what we thought were the greatest comics continuing and limited series of all time - someone may have an archive somewhere.  Well, after rather a longer time of absence then I had planned, I'm back and ready to ask you a question - what are the most memorable single moments in comics history?

There are so many to choose from, be they single issues, stories or panels, but I want to know what you think, and I've done this before.  How it works is this - you nominate ten moments, ranking them from first to tenth, and send them to me at mike_sez@hotmail.com - do NOT post them as replies ot this thread.  I'll then collate the responses and score them - 12 for the first, 10 for the second, then 8, 7, down to 1.  Once we tot up the totals, I'll write a series of blog posts to announce the results.  We can use this thread to discuss general questions, but not to discuss specific nominations.  I know Comics Should Be Good have done something similar, but don't let that influence your thinking - I want to know your choices.

I'll allow three weeks for nominations, so you have until Friday 11th March.  Get your votes in - and have fun thinking about them.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Welcome back, man! We're glad you're here!

(And I've got one moment in mind already... I'm sure the other 9 will fall right into place when I think about it...)

• I forgot to mention - if you send your votes in, add some wiords as to why you chose that moent.  They tend to make my job easier as well..
  • I did these lists for CBG for DC and Marvel Silver Age. I defined "moments" as a single panel I've remembered all my life--but that didn't appear on the cover. Otherwise, most of the moments are going to be cover shots because they're so high profile and dramatic.

Expanding it to include all of comics history for all publishers and all moments will really be a huge inventory. I'll be curious to see what happens! I would not be surprised if there are at least some I don't know at all.

-- MSA

• For me, I'm imposing one limitation on my list -- these moments had to have happened since I started reading comics, and in many cases experienced them "as they happened." Also, no origins if I can help it, since I prefer moments when the story is already underway. So no deaths of Ferro Lad or Gwen Stacy for me, no bat flying through Bruce Wayne's window, no Barry Allen grabbing a waitresses spilled tray out of midair. Great moments all, but if I don't limit my range I'll go mad.
  • That's entriely up to the folks here - the more who take part, the more variety we may get.  When we did the 100 greatest continuous runs in comics a coupel fo years ago, I was very surprised (for example) when Fables came in 3rd place - but havign now caught up on that book, I can appreciate why...

Mr. Silver Age said:

I did these lists for CBG for DC and Marvel Silver Age. I defined "moments" as a single panel I've remembered all my life--but that didn't appear on the cover. Otherwise, most of the moments are going to be cover shots because they're so high profile and dramatic.

Expanding it to include all of comics history for all publishers and all moments will really be a huge inventory. I'll be curious to see what happens! I would not be surprised if there are at least some I don't know at all.

-- MSA

• I thought I owed Mike a thread bump.

• Isn't he pulled out separately as a Featured Discussion at the top of the page on your browser? He's pinned on mine, so bumping him seems unnecessary.

-- MSA

• "Ultron! We Would have words with thee!" from Avengers Vol. 3 #22 (I think). This panel just gave me chills.

The Vision sheds a tear in "Even an Android Can Cry" in Avengers #58. Let's just say that when I read this issue, it's not just the Vision that sheds a tear.

More as I think of them...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

• Mr. Silver Age said:

Isn't he pulled out separately as a Featured Discussion at the top of the page on your browser? He's pinned on mine, so bumping him seems unnecessary.

Yes, on the Forum page, but not on the main page anywhere I can see.
  • Nice quirk of the software here - we can;t pin posts on the front page.  Anyway, I'm putting together a blog of some of my standout moments to push this along as well.
This reply was deleted.