If Fantastic Four #1 had never started the Marvel comeback and Timely had ended with the monster comics. Then if Stan Lee had been asked over to DC - what titles could you have seen him take over?

I ask because I was thinking he would have been excellent on the Teen Titans. Reason: I think he wrote good teen heroes (Spidey, X-Men, Johnny Storm, Rick Jones) and, of course, team books.

It also occured to me that the Teen Titans were similar to the Avengers line-up after Thor, Iron Man and Giant Man quit. (Robin/Captain America, Kid Flash/Quicksilver, Speedy/Hawkeye and Wonder Girl/Scarlet Witch).

Imagine the Teen Titans with real personaities, a little conflict in the ranks and sub-plots. Perhaps Stan could have retained his editor/writer status?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's interesting that you're thinking Teen Titans, given that Lee hated teen superheroes, or at least junior partners.

I think a lot would depend on the role he played at DC, and who he was working with. At Marvel he was pretty much given free reign to do as he pleased, but at DC there would have been a fair amount of hierarchy to work with. I don'[t think we'd be extolling his name in quite the same way if he'd worked at DC in the Silver Age.
  • I'd read Stan didn't care for sidekicks, but at least in the TT their roles were of team members rather than being just junior members.

I think we would have seen a slightly different Stan Lee to the one we know today, but let's say he would have (for the purpose of this discussion) been given an editor/writer status similar to Robert Kanigher.

• If Stan had the chance to write Superman, he would have made Clark's life as miserable as Peter Parker's was, pre-Gwen.

Maybe Stan could have had a Fantastic Four from the Quality heroes DC owned but weren't using in the early 60s, with Plastic Man, Phantom Lady, the Ray and the Human Bomb.

Or he could have revived Mister Terrific as he did Captain America, as a two-fisted master fighter from the past with some added gimmicks.

I think he would have been great on Legion of Super-Heroes; there were enough of them so Stan would have had to be able to do something interesting with some of them! And he wouldn't have to worry about the other DC heroes.

Or would have been allowed to create his own heroes?

The Atom & the Wasp

The Incredible Hulk-Man

Iron Chief

The Amazing Spider-Jimmy!!!!

• I read that as Iron Chef for a minute there!

• My inspiration, natch plus that Doom Patrol adventure where the Chief wears Robotman's armor, complete with beard!

If there was no Thor, what about DC's red-headed Hercules?

• I would pay good cash money for Amazing Spider-Jimmy.

Philip Portelli said:

If Stan had the chance to write Superman, he would have made Clark's life as miserable as Peter Parker's was, pre-Gwen.

Maybe Stan could have had a Fantastic Four from the Quality heroes DC owned but weren't using in the early 60s, with Plastic Man, Phantom Lady, the Ray and the Human Bomb.

Or he could have revived Mister Terrific as he did Captain America, as a two-fisted master fighter from the past with some added gimmicks.

I think he would have been great on Legion of Super-Heroes; there were enough of them so Stan would have had to be able to do something interesting with some of them! And he wouldn't have to worry about the other DC heroes.

Or would have been allowed to create his own heroes?

The Atom & the Wasp

The Incredible Hulk-Man

Iron Chief

The Amazing Spider-Jimmy!!!!

• If you're going with the teen heroes being 'heroes' themselves, then I would think the Legion would be another great fit for Stan. The size of the group with their different personalities, his work could have had a bigger influence than Shooter's work.

But could you imagine the Legion Try-Out issues under Stan's penmanship?

I would also hope that with Stan around, Batman would never succumb to his eventual grim and gritty phase.

• Dandy said:

I think we would have seen a slightly different Stan Lee to the one we know today, but let's say he would have (for the purpose of this discussion) been given an editor/writer status similar to Robert Kanigher.

I agree; Stan would have walked if he'd been under the thumb of the likes of Mort Weisinger.
  • Philip Portelli said:

If Stan had the chance to write Superman, he would have made Clark's life as miserable as Peter Parker's was, pre-Gwen.

Yeah, but he would have gone to town with the Lois/Clark/Superman triangle!
  • Jimmy Olsen, cub reporter for The Daily Planet is reknowned for being Superman's pal (among other things). One fateful day, Superman shows Jimmy a rare speciman of the Zrrfian Pest Spider, a weird and bizarre 5th dimensional arachnid-like creature. He asks his young friend to care for it as he must go on a space mission* and he has no time to fly at super-speed to store it at his Fortress of Solitude. "Gosh", Jimmy says, "Too bad that Mister Kent came down with that highly contagious new disease that left him speechless just now!" Superman merely looks oddly at his feet. The Man of Steel warns Jimmy not to open the container, just fill the food and water tubes when necessary. Jimmy assures him that he can count on him and watches the Action Ace up, up and away**.

Later at his bachelor pad, Jimmy is going through his disguise kits, with great glee. However the strange spider looks so sad that Jimmy decides to put in some pet-toys to try to amuse it. As he gingerly places a tinkle-ball in, the creature quickly and precisely bites him on his finger! Jimmy shuts the container, proud that he didn't let it escape and promptly passes out!

When he awakes, he discovers that he now has four spider-like limbs jutting from his ribcage. They are long, slightly elastic, slightly hairy and can lift heavy weights, climb up walls, propel him at a rapid pace and spew out a fine but strong web-like substance. He also discovers that he is constantly emitting mental webs that analyze and detect the area around him so no one can sneak up on him. Deciding that he must use these powers for good***, he dons a spiderish costume that he has lying around for just such a situation and goes into action as The Amazing Spider-Jimmy****!!

Unfortunately his powers wane and to renew them, he must the spider to bite him again (and again)! Each bite lasts one day! Also the Zrrffian Pest Spider has the annoying habit of disappearing, cage and all, at the worst times*****. So Jimmy can't go into  action whenever he wants, only when he can find the spider******.

* Actually there is no space mission! Kal-El has made a bet with his Justice League buddies and they're going to watch the zany antics that are sure to follow. Fortunately he convinced the Flash and Green Arrow not to introduce Jimmy to Johnny Thunder as too much of a good thing!

**though Jimmy could swear that he was laughing as he flew away!

***and a good story! A Day as the Amazing Spider-Jimmy! Pulitzer material and it's sure to impress Lucy Lane! (It won't!)

****he was going to try to keep a secret identity but where's the fun in that?

*****and the nuttiest times to reappear!

******which seems to have one wicked sense of humor!

Copyrighted Philip Portelli 2011 ;-)

This reply was deleted.