A friend of mine on Facebook (I have also chatted with her on the phone & had lengthy email convos with her so it is not THAT creepy)  ;) started posting these yesterday and I thought it was fun enough that I would let everyone join in the fun. You don't have to be a curmudgeon to do this but it don't hurt neither! LOL!

Having an old nerd moment. I keep calling the Batman thing "Death in the Family". In my day, sonny, we voted on Robin getting whacked...
Also, Justin Timberlake shaved for the Grammys... But not his wedding.

In my day, the best superhero shows on TV were not Lost Girl and Once Upon a Time.

In my day, Mystique wore clothes... and was a lesbian..
In my day, Thor's pants did not look like they were constantly going to fall off. PULL UP YOUR PANTS THOR!
In my day, Loki was the God of Mischief. Not the God of Give Captain America His One Scene In Avengers. 
In my day, Star Trek and Star Wars had different directors... 
In my day, the comic book good guys won. Because we still wanted to be the good guys. Because they were still cool. 
In my day, Superman punched things...
In my day, Superman and Lois, AND Spiderman and Mary Jane were married.
In my day, characters swapping bodies happened every other month. 
In my day, Wonder Woman didn't eat Hagen Das on TV... wait, she still doesn't.
My own addition: In my day, Avengers membership was at least a bit harder to get than pre-approval on a Mastercard
Join in the fun!

Views: 519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In MY day....... what IS my day?

Is my day when I started reading comics? If so...

In my day you could buy 4 comics for $1 (well, $1.05).

In my day Power Man was in the FF.

In my day Jack Kirby was the guy ripping off "Planet of the Apes"

In my day I wondered why Marvel didn't just have George Perez and Keith Pollard draw all their books.

In my day DC was mostly irrelevant (except for Mike Grell's Legion of Superheroes).

In my day all my comics smelled like tobacco because I bought them at the Town Crier newstand (which also did extensive business in cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco)

Is my day was when comics changed from a childish diversion into a semi-respectable art form? If so...

In my day new comic-book day was on Friday.

In my day John Byrne was doing the Fantastic Four, Frank Miller was doing Daredevil, and the Levitz/Giffen LSH was still about the only DC book that mattered.

In my day "Baxter Paper" was a phrase people actually used in conversation.

In my day First Comics just kept hitting it out of the park (American Flagg, Grimjack, Nexus)

In my day, so did Eclipse (Beanworld, Airboy, Zot!)

In my day people talked about Cerebus, not Dave Sim.

In my day, at a certain point, Marvel and DC could have gone out of business and I wouldn't have noticed.

In my day Kirby and Ditko's art suddenly started making sense.

In my day, Nick Fury was white!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

In MY day, Nick Fury was the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. and he didn't have any kids.

John Moret said:

Yeah, well, in my day, Superman would never marry Lois Lane because of the fear his enemies would strike at him through her ... and Spider-Man wouldn't marry Mary Jane because she didn't know he was really Peter Parker.

I was waiting for this one....

Captain Comics said:

Mike Parnell said:

In my day Cap'n Comics was a mysterious presence in the pages of Comics Buyers Guide.

In my day, there was a Comics Buyer's Guide, and it was a weekly newspaper. And there was a Wizard magazine, and it was a monthly. And there was an Amazing Heroes magazine, and it was just right.

The director of Guardians of the Galaxy said he wanted to use the Badoon but Marvel doesn't have the rights to them. Maybe they don't have the rights to original Guardians either. He also said Groot didn't want Drax to see him dancing at the end because Drax hates dancing so much he might have killed him if he caught him at it.

In my day Superman would never marry Lois Lane because she was even more annoying than Lex Luthor. The girl he did like, as the song goes "From her head to her waist, she was just my taste...the rest of her was a fish!"

ClarkKent_DC said:

John Moret said:

Yeah, well, in my day, Superman would never marry Lois Lane because of the fear his enemies would strike at him through her ... and Spider-Man wouldn't marry Mary Jane because she didn't know he was really Peter Parker.

In my day Nick Fury had hair!

Captain Comics said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

In MY day, Nick Fury was the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. and he didn't have any kids.

In my day Captain Marvel was a guy!

In my day Iron Man was more likable than Dr. Doom.

In my day Thor didn't have an embarrassingly phony looking helmet.

In my day titles didn't stop constantly to have company wide crossovers.

In my day Marvel and DC didn't decide to make the same company wide crossover at the same time.

In my day alternate realities were things to explore not destroy because so many planets had been destroyed that blowing up a world wasn't "cool" enough anymore and blowing up entire universes became the next big thing.

In my day Marvel and DC seemed to like their comics, rather than see them as properties to make big bucks at the box office, at the price of tossing out 50 plus years of continuity to make the comics more like the movies.

In my day Edwin Jarvis was alive and well and no one would have ever even thought of turning him into the Vision, or of killing him off in fear somebody might think he was a rip off of Alfred. Batman didn't have the first British butler in the history of world, folks.

In my day Sue and Johnny were brother and sister.

In my day Hank Pym was Ant-Man/Giant-Man/Goliath/Yellowjacket and various crooks hadn't stolen all his identities (apparently the Ant-Man movie will start with Scott Lang being evil and show him gradually change.)

In my day Marvel reprinted Jack Kirby stories without having some "cool" new artist redraw his artwork in an attempt to modernize it.

In my day smart Hulk was just as green as stupid Hulk.

In my day women dressed and looked beautiful and sexy, in comics and in real life, without looking like tramps.

In my day Supergirl was Superman's cousin.

In my day Supergirl was Superman's younger cousin.

In my day I wanted to grow up to work at Marvel. Now I'd be afraid that would require giving up my scruples and writing stories that would make me want despise myself.

In my day I respected superheroes. Now I wouldn't turn my back on many of them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service