I was just looking at the cover for the Atlas Era Marvel Masterworks volume #68, that features the tenth Tales of Suspense collection (#1-10) , and it struck me how very ironic that cover is.

Maybe somebody has already noticed this, and commented years ago.

The cover, for those of you who many not know it well (I don't) is a typical mystery/horror/monster scene of the nieve man swinging a pick-ax trying to free a frozen Cyclops laying trapped in the ice. He comments, "It's No Good, He's been frozen too long. We'll never get him free."  But behind him, a blonde recoils in horror as the arm of the Cyclops rises, cracking out of the ice, putting the lie to the man's observation that "He's been frozen too long. We'll NEVER get him out."

That's when it dawned on me....this is exactly the same series that features Captain America as the split book feature come issue #59!  And then, about 3 and a half years later, Captain America takes over the whole book and it changes title with issue #100.

So what's so ironic about this, you ask?
What's the matter,kid, do I have to spell it out for you?

Alright, call it coincidental then....I think it's ironic!

Captain America was found frozen in ice, in Avengers #4 (1963)... and were it not for the intervention of a pissed-off Namor (shown so clearly in flashback in Captain America #100), he'd still be a human popcicle that some Eskimos would be worshiping for decades to come, or until global warming released him to drown.  (Hmmmm...that might make for a good What If, eh?)

What other ironic/coincidental covers can we come up with?

Views: 679

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Silver Age said:

Julie also recycled a lot of cover ideas from his earlier All-Star and SF titles for use as JLA covers. Here are a bunch of examples: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/11/03/scotts-classic-...

Regarding the Sensation Comics #109/Justice League of America #10 pair, I was just reading the instalment of "The Werewolf Hunter" in Fiction House's Rangers Comics #30. In each episode the title character related an encounter he'd had with a supernatural horror. The episode from this issue has the same kind of fingers people imagery. This makes me wonder if the imagery goes back further. Perhaps it derives from an advertisement, but I'm just guessing. In the Rangers Comics story (spoiler warning) the fingers speak, which reminds me of an element in the horror story "Lukundoo" by Edward Lucas White, which I happened to read recently.

I said there was a swamp monster story called "Swamp Monster" by Basil Wolverton in Key Publications's Weird Mysteries #5. I thought it must be one because of its title and because its splash panel depicts a slimy swamp horror. It turns out the monsters in the story are different.

This post displaced the thread Comics On Facebook from the home page.

Marvel had used mud monsters before the superheroes came back.

Followed by a giant evil alien Torch in the next issue:

And then the mud man came back for a return engagement.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service