Over on the BEAT I wrote the following:

"RM Rhoades said the new Cap Marvel was “a really popular female character among women.”

I can’t claim it’s not true, since I don’t keep close tabs on sales these days. But have the three or four features starring Danvers in her current ID been super-impressive?

And if so, how can one be sure that it’s because of the female fans?'

I got no answer, so I decided to see if anyone here had any information about this subject.

Views: 910

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love the Neal Adams-era Cyclops and Phoenix. Man, they sure have screwed up the X-Men.

Saw the new trailer. Does this film have any direction? It seems to be meandering all over the place. Also, did not realize it was a prequel.

I'm going to guess that the scenes will make more sense when they are in the right order and told as a narrative. I'm looking forward to it.

Randy Jackson said:

Saw the new trailer. Does this film have any direction? It seems to be meandering all over the place. Also, did not realize it was a prequel.

I understand that it's an origin story that precedes the Avengers movies. When the next Avengers movie is released everyone will know who she is. 

Once again, RIchard beat me to it.

I don't think it's formally a prequel, Randy. I think it's more of a period piece and origin story, set in the 1990s. I don't think it will involve any other characters, aside from Nick Fury. The question -- which was raised at the end of Infinity War, and remains unanswered -- is where has she been for 20-plus years? That mystery is deliberate, and the movie will address it.

The plot will be, essentially, the Kree-Skrull War, with Carol (and Earth) swept up in it. She will take the Kree side, but I hope that doesn't last -- she seems to think they're the good guys in the trailer, but they were very much the bad guys in last season's Agents of SHIELD.

Feige says she is the most powerful superhero in the paradigm, so it's for the best she wasn't around for the first three Avengers movies, or they'd have been very short!

Also, the movie will incorporate the revised origin that just came out, where Carol's mother was Kree. Her powers aren't legacies from a male character, but inborn to herself, which is step in the right direction. I assume she will call herself Captain Marvel as a nod to Mar-Vell (played by Jude Law in the movie), but she will be the first of that name, not the second, third, fourth of fifth. (I remember that Monica Rambeau, Noh-Varr and Genis-Vell also took the name, but I don't remember if it was before or after Ms. Marvel became Captain Marvel.)

There is a lot going on in that trailer that doesn't necessarily seem related, but I've been keeping up on info about the movie and it made sense to me.

One thing that I really like about Marvel movies ten years in is that every character seems to fulfill a certain niche within the realm of movies overall. I'm not sure which genre this movie will fulfill, but I think it's safe to say that it will be a pretty unique one with the period piece thing. I think this looks really great.

I also like that this movie seems to be following the Star Wars idea of expanding backwards and perhaps even sideways in the future.

“The plot will be, essentially, the Kree-Skrull War…”

Interesting. When the Kree-Skrull War was reprinted in 1983, the editorial suggested that it was a tale that could be told only in comics. Whereas that was certainly true then (I used to use that as an argument in favor of comic books over movies, but I no longer can), movie special effects have long since evolved to convincingly pull it off 35 years later.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service