Over on the BEAT I wrote the following:

"RM Rhoades said the new Cap Marvel was “a really popular female character among women.”

I can’t claim it’s not true, since I don’t keep close tabs on sales these days. But have the three or four features starring Danvers in her current ID been super-impressive?

And if so, how can one be sure that it’s because of the female fans?'

I got no answer, so I decided to see if anyone here had any information about this subject.

Views: 1035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been to a fair number of conventions, and I can recall maybe 1 Captain Marvel, but you can also tell the influence of the movies on the costumes. 

I remember shortly after The Dark Knight Rises came out, all of the Banes convened on the convention floor and it was easily into the double digits.

Around here, the Dallas area, the top 2 are easily Deadpool and Harley Quinn.

I've seen whole families dressed in Superman outfits, a dude who pulled off Silver Surfer, father-son Captain America and the Winter Soldier, father-son Groot and Rocket, and one convention that had 2 Dazzler's.

I think that every set of photos I've seen from recent conventions is heavily weighted toward Deadpool and Harley Quinn.

I have a high school buddy* who is deep into cosplay. At one time or another, he's played Hawkman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Luke Cage, Steel, the Silver Surfer, The Joker from the 2004-2008 animated series The Batman (No. 7 on the list, here), Prince Akeem of Zamunda from the film Coming to America, Black Lightning (from the comics), the Black Panther and more. This weekend he was at the Baltimore Comic Con as Prince Namor.

* He's one of the people who introduced me to comics. I still have some of the comics I got from him back in the day. 

Pix?

ClarkKent_DC said:

I have a high school buddy* who is deep into cosplay. At one time or another, he's played Hawkman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Luke Cage, Steel, the Silver Surfer, The Joker from the 2004-2008 animated series The Batman (No. 7 on the list, here), Prince Akeem of Zamunda from the film Coming to America, Black Lightning (from the comics), the Black Panther and more. This weekend he was at the Baltimore Comic Con as Prince Namor.

* He's one of the people who introduced me to comics. I still have some of the comics I got from him back in the day. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Captain Comics said:

Pix?

Here we go. He's Bill Johnson, a working actor in New York. I pulled these from his Facebook:

Prince Namor (New Exiles version)

Prince Akeem of Zamunda from the film Coming to America.

Luke Cage, Power Man

The Joker from the 2004-2008 animated series The Batman

Steel

Black Lightning (from the comics)

The Silver Surfer

Green Lantern (John Stewart)

Prince Namor

Wow, they're fantastic! He does a great job!

I particularly enjoyed Namor's foot-wings.

Nice.

Love Luke Cage. So '70s. I can almost hear the "chicka-chicka-bow-wow" soundtrack.

My friend Bill and a group of his friends were on Good Morning America for Halloween:

Cool!

Wow. that's impressive.

Tracy and I watched the Hallowe'en episode of M*A*S*H last night. In it, Hawkeye dressed up as Superman by donning a pair of longjohns (white, with a hand-drawn S-shield pinned to his chest), a pair of red boxer shorts and a towel around his neck. If I ever tried cosplay, my costume would look more like that. (I could go as Hawkeye dressed as Superman.) Or I could wear my everyday clothes and go as a serial killer (because they look like everyone else).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service