Overall, I thought it was okay.  I felt there were too many glib lines, and while there was some mystery, not enough to keep me truly interested.

A handful of thoughts:

* I dislike Skye and Ward from the get-go.  Too glib, too competent, too attractive, too obvious. Total Riker vibe from Ward.

* Was that a Ron Glass sighting?

* Fitz and Simmons feels a little too pushed too.

* There are 50 gazillion heroes and villains in the 616 universe.  I know Marvel doesn't want to pay any extra royalties, but a few familiar names would have been nice.  Hydra? AIM? Scorpio? The Hellfire Club?

* Has the Super-Soldier Serum become the go-to evil plan?

* No good explanation for Coulson's survival.  I was really expecting to hear LMD.

* I'm just not buying into this yet. At the same time, Whedon's got a rep for pulling rabbit's out of hats, so we'll see.

* Oh yeah, the ending made zero sense to me.  Did the bullet not pierce his skin?  Was it a special bullet to fix his condition?  Really hard to tell.

Views: 4274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I liked it a lot -- it was lighthearted and fun, which I hadn't quite expected from a spy show. 

I liked Coulson a lot -- particularly the light bulb line. 

I imagine I'll get to like the other agents, too -- though the two that have the farthest way to go for me are the constantly bickering Fitz & Simmons. I know it's just technobabble, but I couldn't make out much of what they said at all.

Although one thing I *did* make out was a key to the solution to the problem at the end (which I don't think anyone here addressed since Randy asked about it). The bullet Ward shot Michael with was from the "Night-Night" gun -- the one that induces paralysis via a subcutaneous injection, or something like that. 

Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to more.

Randy Jackson said:

I think that may be a tad harsh. Certainly we're all picking apart the pilot for various reasons, but I didn't hate it. I just expected more, and I imagine we'll get more as the series progresses.

Think so? If I decide to write an actual review, that will be harsher still.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Like most others I thought it was just okay. We've seen this before in Heroes and Alphas and probably one or two I am forgetting. Just that is takes places in the Marvel Universe.

I found Skye instantly unlikable. I liked Coulson in the movies but here he came off as a smarmy.

I'll give it another try or two, but unlike most people I've never been a Whedon fan.

That’s pretty much my take as well. The comparison to Alphas is apt (it's very much like Alphas, except Alphas had interesting characters), but SHIELD isn’t as good as Heroes at its best; it isn’t even as good as bad Heroes. SHIELD is like a superhero show without the superheroes.

Regarding Joss Whedon, I discovered Buffy (and Angel) as well as Firefly after the fact. I was with Dollhouse from the beginning, but I would have stopped watching after the first episode had it not been for my wife. It got better toward the end of the second season, but I’m not predisposed to wait. As with Dollhouse, I want to like SHIELD but I just don’t.

Fair enough.  I respect your opinion.  I still think it has potential, despite being disappointed with the first episode. Right now a lot of pat, by the numbers situations are set up, but I have a feeling that there will be some itneresting twists and things won't go quite the way we think they will--at least I'm hopeful.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

As with Dollhouse, I want to like SHIELD but I just don’t.

I agree with Randy. You really can't judge how "deep" a series can get just on the pilot. Also we don't know how much tweaking they did with the forthcoming episodes. Or how much time there was between filming the pilot and second episode (see Star Trek and LOST).

And Jeff, Agents of SHIELD is not a superhero show without any superheroes. It's a show about "normal" people living in a world with superheroes. It's not supposed to be Heroes, nor should it try to be. It should be allowed to find its own voice. Skye IS annoying but so was Sawyer and Jin on LOST at first.

I liked Angel more than Buffy (not being a teenage girl) but the dynamics between the cast does have the same potential.

I liked it. Early days. Got to try to appeal to a wider audience than us geek types so slow burning

Oh and Coulson is SOO an LMD.

Is the Coulson in the series an LMD, or was the Coulson that was killed an LMD?

I think it is more of a show about people at the dawn of a an age of superheroes. As Hill pointed out you had Iron Man and way, way back in the 1940's you had Captain America, but now you have the Hulk, Thor, Iron Man and Captain America. And aliens and suddenly a super secret spy organization that isn't so secret anymore (noticed the SHIELD logo on everything).

Philip Portelli said:

I agree with Randy. You really can't judge how "deep" a series can get just on the pilot. Also we don't know how much tweaking they did with the forthcoming episodes. Or how much time there was between filming the pilot and second episode (see Star Trek and LOST).

And Jeff, Agents of SHIELD is not a superhero show without any superheroes. It's a show about "normal" people living in a world with superheroes. It's not supposed to be Heroes, nor should it try to be. It should be allowed to find its own voice. Skye IS annoying but so was Sawyer and Jin on LOST at first.

I liked Angel more than Buffy (not being a teenage girl) but the dynamics between the cast does have the same potential.

I don't think anyone knows yet.

Randy Jackson said:

Is the Coulson in the series an LMD, or was the Coulson that was killed an LMD?

Co-incidence? I thought that on the show the Rising Tide group was only Sky.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Most of the show gave that impression, but weren't the guys Ward fought in Paris also Rising Tide?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service