Overall, I thought it was okay.  I felt there were too many glib lines, and while there was some mystery, not enough to keep me truly interested.

A handful of thoughts:

* I dislike Skye and Ward from the get-go.  Too glib, too competent, too attractive, too obvious. Total Riker vibe from Ward.

* Was that a Ron Glass sighting?

* Fitz and Simmons feels a little too pushed too.

* There are 50 gazillion heroes and villains in the 616 universe.  I know Marvel doesn't want to pay any extra royalties, but a few familiar names would have been nice.  Hydra? AIM? Scorpio? The Hellfire Club?

* Has the Super-Soldier Serum become the go-to evil plan?

* No good explanation for Coulson's survival.  I was really expecting to hear LMD.

* I'm just not buying into this yet. At the same time, Whedon's got a rep for pulling rabbit's out of hats, so we'll see.

* Oh yeah, the ending made zero sense to me.  Did the bullet not pierce his skin?  Was it a special bullet to fix his condition?  Really hard to tell.

Views: 4277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If they don't then they're the only SHIELD agents who don't. Countless agents have seen Coulson alive. He files reports and have had reports filed on him. It's not a secret. He's been seen in public in charge of several investigations. Major Talbot, an Army officer, knows he's alive. He had Skye erase all knowledge of his existence.

If Coulson being alive is a secret then it's being kept for the Avengers' sake only.

There've been several mentions that the Avengers think he's dead. Sif asked if she should tell Thor he's alive, and he told her no. Then this week, he started to tell Maria to say hi to Tony, and then said, "Nevermind, he thinks I'm dead."

A friend pointed out to me that in the Lorelei episode, Lorelei's influence over Ward has ended before he fires the (unloaded) gun at May. 

And I have assumed that when the Avengers find out Coulson's alive, we'll be there to see the reaction, because his death was the plot element that pulled them together. I would guess that, unless they were in on it from the beginning, people like Cap would be pretty pissed. *shrug* Guess I could be wrong.

But also, is Coulson that big of a deal? He and his small team don't mix much with other agents. And it's not like they have some special skills that Hawkeye or the Black Widow would need. Nor are they particularly friends that I recall. I'm trying to remember when or if Coulson was in the same scene as the Widow or Hawkeye -- I remember him interacting with the Big Three, but I don't recall much with Widow or Hawkeye. Even if they know he's alive, why would they bother to call?

And where would they call? Coulson's in a secret base, they've thrown their badges away, they've been wiped off the Internet and Ward has their plane.

They might call because Coulson said that he's one of the highest ranked SHIELD agents that stayed loyal.

And that he was temporarily in charge of the Hub.

But as point out Cap these people lead lives full of secrets. As Tony said "Even their secrets have secrets" so maybe the other Avengers don't realize that he's alive. They might know that an agent named Coulson is running around but they might not make the connection. Also I have to think that if HYDRA has plans to take over the country/world then they've got plans to take out the rest of the Avengers and Cap. It isn't shown but Tony could be having his own troubles, as could Natasha and Clint.
Myself I wonder what HYDRA's end game is. Eliminate all governments or just make that those governments follow orders. Could the organization be big enough to have infiltrated the major governments on Earth?

At a guess I'd say after this is all over Talbot will be put in charge of SHIELD or some SHIELD like agency, the government never runs out out acronyms and he'll be hostile to any SHIELD agent left around and that will probably include Coulson. I don't expect something like HAMMER because the AOS-mu doesn't have the number of superhumans that the regular mu does so there'd be no basis for the cw storyline.



Captain Comics said:

And I have assumed that when the Avengers find out Coulson's alive, we'll be there to see the reaction, because his death was the plot element that pulled them together. I would guess that, unless they were in on it from the beginning, people like Cap would be pretty pissed. *shrug* Guess I could be wrong.

But also, is Coulson that big of a deal? He and his small team don't mix much with other agents. And it's not like they have some special skills that Hawkeye or the Black Widow would need. Nor are they particularly friends that I recall. I'm trying to remember when or if Coulson was in the same scene as the Widow or Hawkeye -- I remember him interacting with the Big Three, but I don't recall much with Widow or Hawkeye. Even if they know he's alive, why would they bother to call?

And where would they call? Coulson's in a secret base, they've thrown their badges away, they've been wiped off the Internet and Ward has their plane.

Saw "The Cellist" this morning and I can't believe that no one mentioned that Amy Ackers, another Angel alumni, guest-starred as Coulson's love mentioned in The Avengers. I guess the world believes that Coulson is dead though both SHIELD and HYDRA know he's alive.

This was the most "real" performance that we've seen from Skye. She was stunned, terrified, horrified and crushed, all at the same time. Hopefully she left the team a warning.

Mae has a Tiger Mom. Given her attitude, I'm not surprised.

Man up, Fitz!!

I was sad to see Koenig go because he had more personality than the regular cast! Zing!

Skye had enough time to scrawl "Ward is Hydra" on the bathroom mirror with lipstick or whatever she found in the medicine cabinet. But why would she? As far as she knew at that time, she was going to be trapped with Ward until the others returned, and he could visit that bathroom. Better to play it safe, pretend nothing's amiss, and wait for the others.

And if she didn't, then she wouldn't have another opportunity -- we saw Ward whisk her to plane the minute she left the bathroom, over her objections that she needed to "get a few things" (i.e., get away from Ward for a few minutes, likely to leave a message).

My wife, who watched Dollhouse, recognized the cellist.

And I was impressed by Skye this episode as well. She even caught on to what Ward needed her for near the end -- and it was her face that told us.

I thought she cut into one of those drop down display screens and then pulled it down, knowing that they were all showing the same outdoor scene and hoping that someone would notice the difference.

That's how I read the scene, too.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I thought she cut into one of those drop down display screens and then pulled it down, knowing that they were all showing the same outdoor scene and hoping that someone would notice the difference.

It's still pretty nonsense-y, but ... this is like a different show, isn't it?  One that you watch, not out of brand loyalty, but because you actually want to see what happens next?  And say things like "Did they really just do that"?

Pretty happy with the mix of grim and goofy this week.  Clark Gregg has had the chance to really run a lot of emotional changes in the last few weeks, and I've enjoyed seeing Coulson struggling with  S.H.I.E.L.D. falling apart {umm, spoilers?}, but I like Coulson best when he's making me laugh.

"If I come out, will you shoot me? 'Cause then I won't come out."

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Clark Gregg has had the chance to really run a lot of emotional changes in the last few weeks, and I've enjoyed seeing Coulson struggling with S.H.I.E.L.D. falling apart {umm, spoilers?}, but I like Coulson best when he's making me laugh.

"If I come out, will you shoot me? 'Cause then I won't come out."

Before the Marvel movies I came to appreciate Clark Gregg as the understated, amusing ex-husband in The New Adventures of Old Christine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service