Overall, I thought it was okay.  I felt there were too many glib lines, and while there was some mystery, not enough to keep me truly interested.

A handful of thoughts:

* I dislike Skye and Ward from the get-go.  Too glib, too competent, too attractive, too obvious. Total Riker vibe from Ward.

* Was that a Ron Glass sighting?

* Fitz and Simmons feels a little too pushed too.

* There are 50 gazillion heroes and villains in the 616 universe.  I know Marvel doesn't want to pay any extra royalties, but a few familiar names would have been nice.  Hydra? AIM? Scorpio? The Hellfire Club?

* Has the Super-Soldier Serum become the go-to evil plan?

* No good explanation for Coulson's survival.  I was really expecting to hear LMD.

* I'm just not buying into this yet. At the same time, Whedon's got a rep for pulling rabbit's out of hats, so we'll see.

* Oh yeah, the ending made zero sense to me.  Did the bullet not pierce his skin?  Was it a special bullet to fix his condition?  Really hard to tell.

Views: 4281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought that they were tipped off by Rising Tide.

One thing I did notice about discussions concerning secrets in the pilot was Ward's believe that secrets should be kept because people aren't ready to know them. If I were living in that would and i was a people I think I'd want to know.

Just watched it. I didn't think it was bad. I've definitely seen worse shows, but that's damning with feint praise. I thought that it did a great job of continuing the Marvel Movie-Universe. I like how it's connecting the movies to the television...how long before the comics are no more than a third tier of the same universe? Should be interesting to watch how this unfolds.

Randy Jackson said:

Is the Coulson in the series an LMD, or was the Coulson that was killed an LMD?

They haven't said either way.

But if the Coulson that was killed was an LMD, then there's not much to explain the "He must never know" line. So if an LMD is involved, I'd say it's the Coulson that's walking around post dirt-nap.

Okay, but ... if Coulson is dead, why is there a need to have an LMD impersonate him? Why can't he just be dead?

Good question... probably the biggest one if he *is* an LMD.

Maybe they implanted Coulson's memories in an LMD.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Okay, but ... if Coulson is dead, why is there a need to have an LMD impersonate him? Why can't he just be dead?

I finally watched it. I liked it, but then I've liked all of the Whedon TV shows. Often pilots don't live up to later episodes. Everybody should give it a chance.

Of course, just the mere existence of a LMD changes the playing field. If such technology exist (and I was thinking about the comic book version of SHIELD too), then anyone can "die" and come back, hero or villain. Heck who knows who's real and who's not.

It could also cover up bad acting! ;-)

I think my problem with the show is that I’m simply not its intended audience. There’s not a single character on the show I’m familiar with, nor interested in. The only thing about the show that says “SHIELD” to me is the flying car, and that’s just window dressing. I can’t really say the debut didn’t live up to me expectations because it was exactly what I expected. AFAIAC, it’s a mistake to attempt to do “SHIELD” without Nick Fury. Of course, a TV budget wouldn’t allow for Samuel L. Jackson, so they shouldn’t have tried to set it in the movie universe. I understand that’s the draw for fans of the show, but given the choice, I’d rather have SHIELD with Nick Fury. Either that, or they should have titled it “SHIELD: The Next Generation.”

At the end of the pilot, the announcer said something to the effect of “don’t miss the last five minutes of any episode. My wife has no preconceived notions of what SHIELD should be, though, and is more willing than I to stick with it a while longer. She has agreed to call me into the room for the last five minutes of every episode.

Overall, I thought it was interesting enough to give it a couple more chances.  But they need to make some serious progress quickly.  The trademark Whedon characters and snappy dialogue are there al la Firefly but there was also a cliched formulaic aspect to the plotting which reminded me more of the atrocious Dollhouse.  Right now, there is much more fresh and exciting programming available through Showtime and HBO and they are going to have to raise their game if they want to compete. 

I saw that flying car done at the end of Back to the Future Part One...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service