Overall, I thought it was okay.  I felt there were too many glib lines, and while there was some mystery, not enough to keep me truly interested.

A handful of thoughts:

* I dislike Skye and Ward from the get-go.  Too glib, too competent, too attractive, too obvious. Total Riker vibe from Ward.

* Was that a Ron Glass sighting?

* Fitz and Simmons feels a little too pushed too.

* There are 50 gazillion heroes and villains in the 616 universe.  I know Marvel doesn't want to pay any extra royalties, but a few familiar names would have been nice.  Hydra? AIM? Scorpio? The Hellfire Club?

* Has the Super-Soldier Serum become the go-to evil plan?

* No good explanation for Coulson's survival.  I was really expecting to hear LMD.

* I'm just not buying into this yet. At the same time, Whedon's got a rep for pulling rabbit's out of hats, so we'll see.

* Oh yeah, the ending made zero sense to me.  Did the bullet not pierce his skin?  Was it a special bullet to fix his condition?  Really hard to tell.

Views: 4269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ClarkKent_DC said:

Okay, but ... if Coulson is dead, why is there a need to have an LMD impersonate him? Why can't he just be dead?

Randy Jackson said:

Maybe they implanted Coulson's memories in an LMD.

Okay, but ... if Coulson is dead, why is there a need to have an LMD impersonate him? Why can't he just be dead? Even if his memories are in an LMD, why is there a need to have an LMD impersonate him?

It's not such much the flying (which is cool) as the CAR!

Having Coulson in the series establishes a familiar link between the Avengers movie & the series. Instead of starting completely from scratch, you get at least part of a guaranteed audience (fans of the movie).
I missed about 20 mins of the 2nd episode, but I did see the Peruvian temple just after the beginning. Thankfully, it wasn't the Temple of Cytorrak that I thought it was.

Please tell me everyone saw the epilogue of Episode 2! Please!

Yea, that was kinda cute. I begin to wonder if Fury in the movies and the tv show is going to do anything but yell at people. Good episode really,

I thought this episode was much better. The majority of the characters are still annoying but slightly less so than the first episode.

I thought this episode was worse than the first one. I am still waiting for it to either "wow" or "surprise" me. I still can't stand Skye or Ward. The action sequences aren't very good either. USA did a much better job with them on Burn Notice. Also, so many of the effects are just so fake looking. I don't hate it, but it isn't doing anything to make me want to stick around either.

I'll give it another episode or two, but that just might be it.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

At the end of the pilot, the announcer said something to the effect of “don’t miss the last five minutes of any episode. My wife has no preconceived notions of what SHIELD should be, though, and is more willing than I to stick with it a while longer. She has agreed to call me into the room for the last five minutes of every episode.

My wife is out of town so I didn't watch. What happened in the last five minutes of last night's episode?

Yes.

Philip Portelli said:

Please tell me everyone saw the epilogue of Episode 2! Please!

Fury showed up, nixed the fish.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

At the end of the pilot, the announcer said something to the effect of “don’t miss the last five minutes of any episode. My wife has no preconceived notions of what SHIELD should be, though, and is more willing than I to stick with it a while longer. She has agreed to call me into the room for the last five minutes of every episode.

My wife is out of town so I didn't watch. What happened in the last five minutes of last night's episode?

Potential spoilers

My main problem for me is that they aren't really going that deep into the Marvel Universe. I would think we'd at least get some introductions of a few minor heroes or villains from the pages of Marvel. I still thought this episode was a little bit better. However, can we get a better villain than the Peruvian army? I'm on board for at least a few more episodes. It'd be nice if they had Ghost Rider show up on the Halloween episode. Or give us an overarching villain or group. They hinted at that last week with the doctor implanting the centipede on the dude's arm. This week with that hacker group Skye works for. I wonder if the Rising Tide is actually a front for Hydra or AIM or whatever Marvel evil secret group. Also this show will grow old for me quick if they are just recycling ideas from the movies. Last week it was extremis this week gamma/teseract.

I think they might show more superheroes and stuff from the marvel universe as they go on, but at the moment going from the movie the total of superheroes in the mu is Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Hulk and Black Widow. No mention of Spider-Man or the FF yet.

In a way this reminds me of something I heard on the Wonder Woman pilot commentary track, I think it was Lynda Carter who said that they didn't want to go the Batman tv show route and they were afraid of going there without intending too. I think the show may be in that situation. In the comics after all the Peruvian commander might have been in a costume, not a uniform.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service