Replies

• It certainly looks like one, but I can't place it.

It could be one of those iconic images that seems like it's been used before, but I can't say for certain.
  • It's very Steranko, but it also makes me think of some 70s Bad Chick exploitation movie poster.

Or a 60s/70s paperback book.
  • Perhaps after Paul Gulacy rather than Steranko.
  • Wow, that certainly looks familiar, but like Luke, I'm thinking Gulacy rather than Steranko.

A promo add for Sabre, maybe...?
  • Jeff might have hit the nail on the head. I first thought Steranko and then changed my mind. I do seem to remember a Gulacy Sabre ad or cover that was similar.
  • Someone told that there's an iPhone app that lets you take a snapshot of something and it will automatically search teh interwebs to find images that are similar. The person used it in the context of taking a picture of a bird and being able to identify it, but it might work for something like this also.

Of course, I don't even have a cellphone, much less an iPhone, so I can't do it myself.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• My first thought was La Femme Nikita

• A number of people on the interwebs have pointed out that that Dollhouse ad seems to have nothing to do with the actual Dollhouse storyline. While in some incarnations, Echo is a kick-ass action hero, she's never appeared in that outfit packing a gun. (Where would she keep her gun, anyway? Her clothes are way too tight for her to slip it in her waistband...) Most of Echo's missions this season have not involved ass-kickery at all. In the second episode of this season, she was a nursing mother, for Chrissakes. There's nothing sexy or ass-kicking about that, but it was a good episode. However, the ad is a striking-looking image and if it gets people to watch the show so that it gets renewed for another season, so much the better!
  • I think the image we're thinking of came from a publicity poster for Point of No Return, which was a 1993 Hollywood remake of the French film La Femme Nikita, starring Bridget Fonda and Gabriel Byrne. I have searched the internet, but I can't find the image. I thought Point of No Return was a good movie, but then I never saw the original. In addition to Bridget Fonda and Gabriel Byrne, it also featured Anne Bancroft and Harvey Keitel. My take-away line from this movie, "I never did worry over the little things."

Eric Chown said:
    My first thought was La Femme Nikita

• I went through all the Steranko and La Femme Nikita art in Google images, and didn't find the pose. That doesn't eliminate those two sources as possibilities, only that if the above image springs from Steranko or LFN, it's relatively obscure.

Which leads me to believe that the above suggestion of Paul Gulacy is more likely. Steranko rarely drew women in aggressive poses, but Gulacy often did -- especially Leiko Wu in Master of Kung Fu. I did go through all the MoKF covers and didn't see the pose, but it could be an interior shot.

This is annoying! I know I've seen that pose before.
This reply was deleted.