I used to work retail so I know some holidays are real and some aren't, as a retail person the real holidays are few and far between. But I think've seen signs on just about every store in the area saying that they'll be open on July 4th. Isn't this holiday worth more than just a sale?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are you kidding? My place is open Thanksgiving AND Christmas! That's why I don't want 9/11 to become a holiday. Why turn a national tragedy into a sales event?

• Whatever else is said about "Big Box" stores, I know for a fact that Costco is closed on Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day

• When I worked retail a decade ago, I don't remember ever being closed for July 4th. (Not to say that Barnes & Noble wasn't, but I don't remember that.)

• I guess Columbus Day might be an example of a "no longer 'real'" holiday?????????

Easy Does It                POPPA LOU

• A lot of stores here in Canada are closed on July 1st for Canada Day.  Last year was very confusing as Canada Day fell on Sunday; the provincial government decided that stores would be open on the actual holiday, and closed Monday the 2nd (so government employees and the banks could have a long weekend don'tcha know).

Of course, the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was my years of working at Blockbuster - open every day of the year.  But to be truthful, most holidays were busy, even Christmas - a rush when we opened at 10am, another rush around 2pm after people had their dinner, and busy until we closed at 6.  One year, the geniuses at head office decided that we would be open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day until 10pm instead of 6.  That was fun, if you like ghost towns.

• I worked retail for years in a supermarket and 4 years in Radio Shack. Christmas, New Years, Fourth of July and Thanksgiving were the only ones I could be certain of having off. I might have to go back into retail now when I go back to school and I have a feeling it'll be worse now. The quest for a 3 day weekend and a good sale seems to rule.

• No, nothing's closed on the Fourth. The world has changed, and the expectation is that one should be able to go shopping on any day, holiday or no. 

• But then, retail workers have no holidays!

• Richard Willis said:

Whatever else is said about "Big Box" stores, I know for a fact that Costco is closed on Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day

Apparently not all big box stores are the same. Costco seems to be run along more humane lines than Walmart, with more consideration for the quality of life of its employees, and those holidays you cite would seem to support that.

The Costco CEO is a bit of a Facebook hero due to comparisons with Walmart.

• Reagarding Independence Day opening hours, know that Shopping and Freedom are inextricably linked!  Remember that W told everyone to get shopping to show the terrorists what for after 9/11?

This reply was deleted.