Views: 502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Even if he was , perhaps , not as likely to declare the End of Days , do you think Chick's particular version of Christianity/theology had something in common with the Oaktown guy who was , um , " caught up in the Rapture " this weekend ???

I was going to mention The Crusaders , Dagwan , I came across a few in bargain bins/something like that , it is a full-color , standard-format , CB about two Steve Roper-Mike Nomad/" buddy cop " action movie-type adventurers , one white , the other black , of Christian beliefs , and their adventures worldwide...IIRC , one story has them meeting a - Jewish-looking?? - movie producer of movies about dinosaurs who admits to them that nobody believes that Darwinist Godless claptrap about life existing more than six thousand-ish years ago , etc. , it's just extremely profitable , while another one has them saving a young Russian woman ( This is during the Cold War . ) who , however , they cannot get out of the USSR...She is shown , in her last panel , freezing her tail off but blessed , in a Siberian labor camp ( The better for her improved spiritual status , y'see . )...

It's pleasantly ironic how closely Chick's own brand of theological righteousness chimes with that of the historical Inquisition he talks about.

Chick's message seems to be ...'Beware anyone tellling you they have a book that gives them permission to be mean to other human beings.'

Or am I missing something?  

Chick holds to the King James as the only inspired translation of the Bible.  Because of this those that hold to any other translation as being inspired, such as the Catholic Douay-Rheims is Satanic. 

Chick would say that these other translations are corrupted by the Alexandrian Cult.  This is a belief that there was a false version of the Old Testament created to make all translations that used it as being full of mistakes.

For Chick there has to be a perfect text that speaks to a perfect faith.  Any thing less than this is wrong and therefore Satanic. 

Well, I give him props for picking a version of the Bible that's such fun to read!  If I HAD to read only one version, that's the one I'd pick, linguistic errors and all.

Has anyone told Chick about the state of Hebraic scholarship in the 1690's compared to today, or are all the world's current experts in ancient languages in on the Satanic plot too?

I have some of his comics. Wattaguy.

Considering that fundamentalists, like Chick, have an anti-educational point of view, scholarship is not one of his concerns. 

Education is part of the larger Satanic plot working in the world.

My question Is: If the KJV is the "inspired" English language version of the Bible, are there "inspired" versions for every language? French? Manchu? Maori? Ashanti? Cherokee?  Klingon?  Who gets to decide which Bible version for eachy language is the "inspired" one?
I always figured the view of the likes of Jack Chick and that ilk is that you are just supposed to read the Bible in English and not in any other heathen language.

Funny - given it was orignally written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek...

And yes, there is A Klingon Version of the Bible.

Point is this - if you are going to seriosu biblical schlarship, you got ahold of a couple of good translations (I used New International Version and English Standard Version), a transliteration (the Living Bible) and several good commentaries.  If you're relly hot, you get an English/Hebrew and English/Greek version...

ClarkKent_DC said:

I always figured the view of the likes of Jack Chick and that ilk is that you are just supposed to read the Bible in English and not in any other heathen language.
Mike Williams said:

Funny - given it was orignally written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek...

Yes, but what do they know?

The view is that only those texts that use the Textus Receptus are considered inspired.  Therefore, any translation that uses any other manuscripts are not inspired. 

The Baron said:

My question Is: If the KJV is the "inspired" English language version of the Bible, are there "inspired" versions for every language? French? Manchu? Maori? Ashanti? Cherokee?  Klingon?  Who gets to decide which Bible version for eachy language is the "inspired" one?
I dislike discussing religion (particularly my own) and the Bible is always a tricky subject. It is perhaps the most powerful book ever written but we must never forget that it was written by men and translated by men with their own ideals, judgements and, and most importantly, agendas. We must find our own interpretations and realize that even the Bible is not written in stone!
That, I believe, is the problem.  The belief in plenary or verbal inspiration of the Bible drives all manner of bad theological conclusions.  And there are many "leaders of the faith" that declare what their followers are to hold as an interpretation. 

Philip Portelli said:
I dislike discussing religion (particularly my own) and the Bible is always a tricky subject. It is perhaps the most powerful book ever written but we must never forget that it was written by men and translated by men with their own ideals, judgements and, and most importantly, agendas. We must find our own interpretations and realize that even the Bible is not written in stone!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I loved that book."
16 minutes ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"1984-1985"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"STRANGE NEW WORLDS: As the episode begins, Enterprise is in drydock and has been for a year being…"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 892 Super-Heroines
"Added: Herculina Miss X Platinum Wonder Woman Power Tower Savanna Sister Miracle Venus…"
4 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yes, I was already considered the first and last issues of Showcase (not least because we also…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Richard Willis already posted the first and last of She-Hulk's second series. Here's her…"
4 hours ago
"Speaking of changing tastes, writer Michael L. Fleischer tried to breathe new life into this tired…"
11 hours ago
"Continuing on ... Jonah Hex graduated to his own series, titled Jonah Hex of course (March-April…"
11 hours ago
"Continuing this saga ... All-Star Western was retitled Weird Western Tales with issue #12…"
11 hours ago
"Another case of retitling but not renumbering: All-Star Western #1 (August-September 1970) Final…"
11 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 885 Super-Heroines
"Added Blackhawk Britannia The Choir Cutie Daiten Ladies Daiten Solaria 1 Daiten Solaria…"
12 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 870 Super-Heroines
"I'm not against "duplicates", per se, I've got three "Storms" onnthe…"
13 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service