The death of former child actor Jackie Cooper ( not to be confused with the , somewhat less fortunate as an adult and , infamously , ripped off by his parents Jackie Coogan ) inspires me to start a " Celebrity Deaths - That , Um , Don't Have The Most Obvious Connectuions To Our Beloved Genre , As Those Folks Will Tend To Get A Solo Thread , Admittedly..." omnibus thread .

Directly , Cooper played Perry White in the Salkind/Reeve series of Superman movies , and , as per Wikipedia , about the last thing he did in the directing of episodic TV series that occupied much of his later working years were episodes of the Salkind Superboy series...

Cooper also starred in the CBS series Hennessy ( Probably the subject of a couple Dell FOUR COLOR COMICS issues anyway , wasn't it ????????? ) , enthused over by our Cmdr. Benson , and another B&W-era series , The People's Choice .

In pre-TV days movies with ____ ____ made them something of a team

Views: 4149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RIP Barrie Youngfellow.

She is best remembered for her run on the entirety of It's a Living, although she guest-starred on various shows over the years, including WKRP in Cincinnati and Barney Miller

From the New York Daily News: "Bill Fries, Known as Country Singer C.W. McCall for 'Convoy,' Dies at 93".

The Legion of "Hey, It's That Gal!" Character Actors loses Estelle Harris, best known on-screen as George's mom on Seinfeld and off-screen as the voice of Mrs. Potato Head in the Toy Story franchise.

From NBC News: "Estelle Harris, ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Toy Story’ Actor, Dies at 93" 

I was not aware of this passage when it happened in September, but it's significant enough that it should be noted. From Law Officer: "Police Dispatcher Who Did Voiceovers from TV Show  'Adam-12' Passes Away."

"One Adam-12, One Adam-12, possible four five nine, suspects there now ... One Adam-12, One Adam-12, a four-fifteen, a man with a gun ... One Adam-12, no warrant, Lincoln X-Ray Ida four eight three ... One Adam-12, a four-fifteen fight group, with chains and knives."

If you grew up like I did when there were still half-hour dramas on television, you've heard these words. They came from the voice of Shaaron Claridge, the dispatcher on all but three episodes of Adam-12. She was rarely on screen, but was a constant presence on the show, enough that she has her own Wikipedia entry.

I understand Ms. Claridge was hired because her experience as an actual Los Angeles Police Department dispatcher gave her voice a quality of authority untrained actresses could not convey; they came off as too emotional.

Here's a little more from MeTV, including a photo of her from one particular episode: "The Voice Actor Who Played Adam-12's Dispatcher Actually Had One Cameo"

So important was Ms. Claridge to the show that the LAPD asked her to come out of retirement in 2015 to essay one final message: the passing of star Martin Milner.

Here's to Sharon Claridge. As they say in the LAPD: End of Watch.

God, I haven't seen Adam-12, in over forty years, but I can hear her voice in my head even now.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I was not aware of this passage when it happened in September, but it's significant enough that it should be noted. From Law Officer: "Police Dispatcher Who Did Voiceovers from TV Show  'Adam-12' Passe... 

"One Adam-12, One Adam-12, possible four five nine, suspects there now ... One Adam-12, One Adam-12, a four-fifteen, a man with a gun ... One Adam-12, no warrant, Lincoln X-Ray Ida four eight three ... One Adam-12, a four-fifteen fight group, with chains and knives."

If you grew up like I did when there were still half-hour dramas on television, you've heard these words. They came from the voice of Shaaron Claridge, the dispatcher on all but three episodes of Adam-12. She was rarely on screen, but was a constant presence on the show, enough that she has her own Wikipedia entry.

I understand Ms. Claridge was hired because her experience as an actual Los Angeles Police Department dispatcher gave her voice a quality of authority untrained actresses could not convey; they came off as too emotional.

Here's a little more from MeTV, including a photo of her from one particular episode: "The Voice Actor Who Played Adam-12's Dispatcher Actually Had One C...

So important was Ms. Claridge to the show that the LAPD asked her to come out of retirement in 2015 to essay one final message: the passing of star Martin Milner.

Here's to Sharon Claridge. As they say in the LAPD: End of Watch.

Something about the way she says "One Adam-12, a four-fifteen fight group, with chains and knives" really gets me. It's matter of fact with just enough emphasis to convey the seriousness of the threat.

Gilbert Gottfried has died  Wow, he was only 67.

Charles Siebert, a co-star on Trapper John, M.D. who appeared in every episode of the series, dies of COVID-19-related pneumonia May 1.

From The Hollywood Reporter"Charles Siebert, Actor on ‘Trapper John, M.D.,’ Dies at 84"

From Entertainment We're Just a Website Now: Jim Seals, half of '70s soft-rock duo Seals & Crofts, dies at 80 on June 7.

John Aylward, best known for playing Dr. Donald Anspaugh, chief of staff at County General Hospital on ER, dies May 16 at 75. 

They're dropping like flies.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 916 Super-Heroines
"More good suggestions.  Ms. Mystic was the only one that was already on the list."
56 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"Thanks, Luke. I was hoping you would respond. I saw your first post to this thread (now deleted) in…"
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Without meaning to sound snarky I guess it boils down to what you mean by “made it.”…"
1 hour ago
"Good suggestion."
1 hour ago
"Good suggestions.  I always thought of Lady Shiva as more of a villain, though."
1 hour ago
"I feel as though Marga is borderline, but in the end, I'll add her. I'll add Mera,…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
""Because you demanded it--the last issue of the Dazzler""
1 hour ago
"I thought about adding Selina, but I suppose I've always thought of her as a thief who's…"
1 hour ago
"Good suggestions, LB!"
1 hour ago
"Added: Justice (Linda Danvers) "Act of God" Supergirl "Earth-D" Supergirl…"
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"1970 1980"
2 hours ago
Luke Blanchard replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 910 Super-Heroines
"Avalon, Dot and Polestar from The New Wave (Eclipse) Grendel (Christine Spar) Ms. Mystic…"
5 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service