Replies

• Me TV is rerunning his Rockford Files, while Cozi TV is running Maverick, although it seems like the show's about one of his brothers most of the time I watch it. So at least he won't be forgotten.

• Man, I loved Jimmy Garner growing up.

I didn't care for Westerns, until Maverick.

I didn't care for war movies, until The Great Escape.

I didn't care for detective shows, until The Rockford Files.

I never heard much about Jim Garner the man that made me want to meet him. But every time the actor showed up, he was blowing a stale genre up and giving it an exciting new direction. Bret Maverick, Jim Rockford and all the rest were not only men I wanted to meet, they were men I admired, men whose company I enjoyed and men whose stories I wanted to read, watch and write.

• There was also a lot of chemistry between him and Doris Day.

• James Garner seemed very down to earth, he had a great casual style that made you feel as if he was just one of the guys.

Ron M mentioned Garner and Day - a couple of weeks ago I caught an early Sixties movie they did together The Thrill Of It All. Garner played a doctor and Day was his stay at home wife,,, that is until she is discovered by a soap manufacturer who makes her the star of his TV commercials. Not great cinema but fun, and Doris Day and James Garner played off each other well.

• "I forgot to tell you--we have a...pool!"

Garner's expression as he sank into the pool was priceless.

• Today's news had clips of Garner being interviewed. In one he said he never wanted to be a big star, just have a successful acting career. In another he said it was easier to get a laugh than to get a smile.

He also was one of the first actors to easily go back-and-forth between TV and movies, when it was hard for a TV actor to be welcomed into movies at all.

• What he said.

Captain Comics said:

Man, I loved Jimmy Garner growing up.

I didn't care for Westerns, until Maverick.

I didn't care for war movies, until The Great Escape.

I didn't care for detective shows, until The Rockford Files.

I never heard much about Jim Garner the man that made me want to meet him. But every time the actor showed up, he was blowing a stale genre up and giving it an exciting new direction. Bret Maverick, Jim Rockford and all the rest were not only men I wanted to meet, they were men I admired, men whose company I enjoyed and men whose stories I wanted to read, watch and write.

• Was looking forward to seeing him this morning on Maverick. Unfotunately the station only showed a picture of Garner during the commercials giving the dates of his birth and death and ran a Jack Kelly episode instead. Nice timing.
  • He should have passed on Eight Simple Rules. With John Ritter gone they tried everything they could think of to keep that show going, when they should have realized it wouldn't work without him. It was nice seeing Garner again but it can't be good for someone's career to join a show when it's dying. Look at how people laugh and make cancellation jokes when Ted McGinley shows up in something.

• I liked the western movies he made, Support your Local gunfighter and Support your local sheriff. Almost the same cast in both movies but you could tell that they were having fun.

This reply was deleted.