At one time I received a lot of input concerning which TV show I should watch next, the top contenders being Lost, Torchwood and Angel. Although we picked up a factory-sealed Lost season one at Half Price Books a few weeks ago, we haven’t committed time to watching it yet. We’ve been re-watching Doctor Who seasons 1-4 and as soon as we finish up with that (three episodes left) we plan to move on to Torchwood, season one of which Tracy bought a couple of weeks ago. We did record the first two seasons of the third nominee off TV a couple of months ago, though, so although we will be watching all three eventually, the first place winner is… Angel!

I doubt we’ll be watching an episode each night as we did with Buffy (during summer repeat season), but now that I again have access to the board during the day, here are the notes I jotted down concerning the episodes we’ve watched so far.

CITY OF: I don’t know if you guys have Sonic drive-ins in your respective necks of the woods (I hadn’t heard of them until moving to Texas), but I think of them as “A&W without the root beer.” Whereas I use that term in a derogatory manner when referring to Sonic, I think Angel can be referred to as “the Slayer without Buffy”… in a good way.

It took me six seasons of Buffy to warm up to Spike as a sympathetic character, and I never did warm up to Angel, but I hadn’t realized until I saw her how much I missed Cordelia. This new Irish half-demon character, Doyle, seems to be shoe-horned in, but I’m sure he’ll grow on my over time.

LONELY HEARTS: What I liked about this episode is that there were enough clues for the viewer to deduce the true nature of the demon before the cast did.

IN THE DARK: If this were a comic book, the third issue would guest star Spider-Man; being a TV show, the third episode guest-starred Spike and Oz from Buffy. One day in the future, I’ll have to sit down and determine exactly how these two series fit together interstitially.

I FALL TO PIECES: Tracy is enjoying the show so far, but during this episode commented that, whereas Angel is a good spin-off, she didn’t think it would have much appeal on its own to non-Buffy-watchers. I countered that it did last five seasons.

RM W/A VU: So Cordelia now has a line-in ghost roommate? Will this situation be followed up throughout the series? Guess I’ll find out soon enough.

SENSE & SENSITIVITY: I had to go to sensitivity training once, did I ever tell you about that? I suggested to the instructor that instead of training the well-adjusted people to be more sensitive, they ought to take the sensitive people and toughen ‘em up a little. I like Angel’s romantic interest as a character.

BACHELOR PARTY: I forgot what I was going to say about this episode. I’m sure it was something insightful, though.

I WILL REMEMBER YOU: Wow, this watches like a missing episode of Buffy! I was wondering if Buffy is the only girl Angel can’t have sex with, or if he pretty much has to avoid it altogether now that he knows what might happen if he experiences another moment of happiness. And what a stupid provision to his curse, that it’s lifted if he experiences happiness. Somebody didn’t think that through!

That’s as many episodes as we’ve watched so far.

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now, do an "Angel Watches Torchwood" thread! Better yet, do an "Angel Watches Gilligan's Island" thread..or a "Torchwood on Gilligan's Island" thread..."Ianto, little buddy, you've done it again!"
SOMNAMBULIST:

Man, I don’t believe this! No sooner do I declare my acceptance of Angel’s unique (among vampires) status as a force for good than “Spike, Jr.” shows up introducing the possibility of restoring Angelus’ true nature (i.e., “stinkin’ vamp”). Okay, it was simply the proximity of one he had sired causing vivid dreams, but it underscores the need for an emergency protocol should “Angelus” return. Cordelia asserted that she would stake him should that happen, and yes, that’s a step in the right direction, but given a vampire’s unnatural speed and strength, a more practical contingency plan should be put in place. Note how easily, for example, Angel was able to disarm and gain the advantage over Wesley this episode.

Of course the real development this episode is that Lilah discovered Angel’s secret. We are now exactly half way into the first season and the status quo has changed yet again.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Of course the real development this episode is that Lilah discovered Angel’s secret. We are now exactly half way into the first season and the status quo has changed yet again.

I assume you meant that Kate discovered Angel's secret. The character of Lilah won't be introduced for another five episodes.
Kate, yes! I couldn't for the life of me remember the character's name this morning, so I Googled it.("'Lilah'? Really? Well, okay.") I'm sure it was the same actress, though. Did I just ruin something for myself? Does she have an evil twin or something? Or could it be that (gasp!) something was posted to the internet in error? I did something like this on the old "Buffy" thread and everybody just clammed up. Another five episodes, eh? Okay, guess I'll find out soon enough. I'd edit my post if I could. Thanks.
Similarities...

Well, Kate & Lilah are both female humans who live in L.A. That's exactly where the similarities end. And, no, they aren't played by the same actress.
EXPECTING:

This is what I was expecting after “RM W/A VU”. It is kind of creepy, having a ghost watching Cordelia all the time, although that’s pretty mild considering some of the things she’s experienced so far, including this episode’s compressed take on the “Rosemary’s Baby” scenario.
As I mentioned earlier, they didn't forget about the ghost roommate.
Been off the netz for a while, so only spotted that you were doing Torchwood and Angel yesterday.

Was there not a sense of Deja Vu watching the second episode of each series so close together? The makers of Torchwood were counting on thier audience not having sen 'Lonely Hearts' for a few years, and forgetting the premise of that show...
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Our satellite receiver crapped out yesterday. The company is going to replace it free of charge and credit our monthly bill, but we lost all the shows we had saved, including the first two seasons of Angel. I therefore regret to announce the temporary hiatus of this discussion until such a time as we re-record the episodes we lost or buy them on DVD.

Too bad, too. I was really enjoying this series. :(
Or, you could make up episodes...

"ANGEL VS. MEGALON: Angel and company find themselves on the frontlines when a giant, lightning-spewing cockroach in the employ of an undersea civilization attacks the city..."

or

"ANGEL AND THE FINANCIAL CRISIS: The city faces a fiscal crisis, and Angel must take a crash course in economics when a careless remark by Cordy leads the Mayor to give Angel the task of solving the city's financial problems...."

or

"ANGEL IN CHARGE: Angel finds himself in a bind when he wins two tickets for a Bruce Springsteen concert and both Buddy (guest star Willie Aames) and Cordelia want to go with him..."
ugh we had that happen to use recently...We lost a season of Lost and Mad Men.

Check you local library...they probably have the series on dvd.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Our satellite receiver crapped out yesterday. The company is going to replace it free of charge and credit our monthly bill, but we lost all the shows we had saved, including the first two seasons of Angel. I therefore regret to announce the temporary hiatus of this discussion until such a time as we re-record the episodes we lost or buy them on DVD.

Too bad, too. I was really enjoying this series. :(
Don't worry Jeff. You're watching Torchwood at the moment and they'll give you the Angel stories, but with a naughties twist...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service