Lost (Spoilers)

Now that I am completely caught up with Doctor Who, I FINALLY started watching Lost (for the first time, so no “spoilers”!) over the weekend. Three episodes in, I must admit I find myself caught up in the intrigue. It reminds me a bit of Marvel’s Skull the Slayer, but less super-heroey. I’m paying very close attention (or trying to) to all the hints and details. One of the “mysteries” on which I speculated in part one of the pilot has already been resolved in part two, so it’s a moot point.

I expect this is going to be a bit like a 1940s movie serial (but slicker) in that some bits are going to left out only to be revealed later. The hero’s car goes over the cliff at the end of one installment, but we’re not shown him jumping out until the beginning of the next. I’ve already seen that to some extent. For example, Kate is left alone with the US marshal, and shortly thereafter, the other guy shoots him in the chest with the gun Kate was holding. There’s a scene missing!

I like Kate, though. I think I’m supposed to at this point, but I also think I’ve made the right decision. She saved the farmer’s life at the risk of being captured in the flashback, but even more telling, she affixed the oxygen mask to the marshal’s face when he was unconscious.

I do think watching shows on DVD is the way to go. Based on a strong opening season, I watched Heroes for three years only to have it cancelled out from under me with no resolution (rumors of a TV movie to tie up loose ends notwithstanding). What a waste of my time! At least I know going in I won’t have that problem with Lost.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I do think watching shows on DVD is the way to go. Based on a strong opening season, I watched Heroes for three years only to have it cancelled out from under me with no resolution (rumors of a TV movie to tie up loose ends notwithstanding). What a waste of my time! At least I know going in I won’t have that problem with Lost.

Oh yeah. There'll be absolutely no loose ends, unresolved mysteries or unanswered questions whatsoever. ;)
  • Well, at least it has and ending, right?
  • Jeff of Earth-J said:
    Well, at least it has and ending, right?

Oh yes, and one that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Hope that previous answer was neither too snarky, nor perceived as "spoilery." As a seasoned TV watcher, I'm sure it comes as no surprise to you that -- after 6 seasons of a show with one of the largest casts and most complex storylines in TV history -- the producers chose not to spend too much of the final season trying to answer questions like "What really happened to Sawyer's lost shoe in that episode in Season 2?" (Yes, I just made that up.)

The great debate about Lost's final season was whether the producers made good choices about what to answer and what to leave to the audience's imagination. On balance, I think they did.
  • Heroes was canceled?
  • Hope that previous answer was neither too snarky, nor perceived as "spoilery."

No, no… you’re fine.

Heroes was canceled?

That's what I heard (that it wasn’t renewed for another season), but also that there may be a TV movie to wrap up loose ends.
  • I'll agree that watching shows on DVD can be a great experience, but I'm glad I didn't experience Lost that way. A huge part of the show's appeal involved the speculation and theorizing that surrounded the series - something that the writers and producers actively encouraged and frequently engaged in themselves. It was a lot of fun to go online line after a new episode debuted and read dissertation-length hypotheses and spirited forum debates from fans. That kind of unique experience can't really be replicated when you're watching it on DVD after it's ended.

Then again, it's also fun to tear through a really great show in short order without having to wait an entire week between episodes. I did that with the first two seasons of Breaking Bad last year, and then got a little annoyed that I had to wait seven days between installments when watching the third season in real time this year.
  • Ah, but the beauty of it is, all I have to do is set the WABAC machine (or TARDIS, if you prefer) to 2004 and I have an 83-page "real time" discussion (with the same guys I'd've been discussing it with if I'd've watched it back then in the first place) waiting for me on the old board!
  • I hope that you enjoy the ride! Don't get frustrated over details! If you pay attention, it WILL make sense!
  • No spoilers...

I figured out the twist ending about five minutes into episode one and smugly turned it off 20 minutes later, never to return. Heard it's wonderfully written though and the journey is often the reward, so I'm curious what you'll have to say.
  • Last year we bought the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD, and after we watched is I took a brief hiatus from the discussion until we got a good deal on the series set. Based on what we’ve seen so far (and word of mouth), we’ve decided we’re in for the long haul on Lost. The complete series is not yet available on DVD, but B&N has a DVD sale starting today, and Tracy has done the math and determined we’d be better off taking advantage of that than waiting for the complete series set, so there’ll be no hiatus between seasons one and two with Lost as there was with Buffy.

Having said that, I haven’t quite settled on what form this discussion will take. We plan to watch one episode per day (most days) until we’re through, same as with Buffy and Angel, but I don’t know if I’ll be posting every day or offering summaries of each episode. I don’t have a particular ax to grind (or stake to sharpen) in regard to this premise, so we’ll have to see. I will say each episode we’ve watched so far is over before we expect it to be because we’re so caught up in the plot. We’ve both remarked on it.

Last night we watched the fourth episode, Walkabout.
This reply was deleted.