John Byrne's Trio

Trio got off to something of a slow start (IMO), but it’s picking up (perhaps appropriately) with issue three. The “trio” go by two sets of names, one by which they refer to themselves (One, Two and Three), and one by which they are known publicly (Rock, Paper and Scissors), and it’s anyone’s call which is more bland and boring. But the story Byrne is in the midst of now is a retelling of the Galactus legend… not the Galactus story, but the Galactus legend. Instead of a fantastic quartet there is a terrific trio, and there is are stand-ins for the Sub-Mariner, the Silver Surfer and the Big G himself. This is not a retelling (such as “Heroes Reborn”) so much as it is a reexamination. It’s not over yet, but I’m glad I stuck around. I ut wish he’d do something about those bland, boring names.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I scanned a copy of the shelf but couldn't get past the awful dialogue.  It's one thing to ape Kirby's artistic style.  It's even kind of fitting for this kind of thing.  But it's a bad idea to emulate Kirby's tin ear for speech patterns.  Yikes. 

• I wondered if anyone was reading this -- I should have figured it was you, Jeff!

Trio certainly isn't going to set the world on fire -- but I'd much rather read Byrne doing a third-generation FF xerox (FF>Danger Unlimited>Trio) than the current version of the FF. Even though Jonathan Hickman has done a pretty good job with the book during his run, I still don't think anyone has "gotten" the characters as well as Byrne did during his run. Simonson came close, and I will always maintain that Karl Kesel deserves a shot. He's done a couple of one-off stories here and their that really rang true for me. As much as I love Alan Davis, the 'Heroes Return team should have been Kesel/Grummet.

Anyway, good fun.

• Seems to me it’s been a while since Trio #4 shipped. Turns out, it’s been several months. #4 ended on a cliffhanger (“To be continued… we promise!”), but I didn’t think anything of it. Apparently, it was only a four-issue trial series of some sort…? Drat! I was just getting into it, too. :(

This reply was deleted.