http://www.avclub.com/articles/joss-whedons-shield-show-is-a-go-at-...

Yay!  It'll be nice to have another Joss Whedon series on television every week -- even if his involvement will apparently be somewhat limited.

Views: 1048

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Randy Jackson said:

Sitwell was doing his job.  It was the way his dialogue was written that made him seem like a bit of a pinhead, but I'd say he was as competent as any other S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

That's what I liked about the character---the way Stan Lee turned the expected stereotype around on its ear.

On Jasper Sitwell's first appearance, he came across as the classic overeager rookie, enthusiastically loyal, a walking rulebook, with policies and procedures memorised to the last sub-paragraph.  The usual handling of such a classic type is  to underscore his lack of experience and make him a bumbler.

Instead, Lee defied the readers' expectations and depicted Sitwell as quite competent.  A regulation-quoting pain, but competent.

Just did a little googling and discovered that:

SPOILERS........SPOILERS............SPOILERS!!!!!!

Jasper Sitwell was killed by a brainwashed Black Widow!

Just like Clay Quartermain was murdered by an insane Doc Samson!!

But I'm sure all is forgiven.....

(Let's not argue over who killed who and just say mistakes were made!)

But then there's dead and then there's Bu--never mind...

I'll be looking for them at the SHIELD reunions.

All of the S.H.I.E.L.D. regulars were killed in the Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. series -- not just Quartermain and Sitwell, but also the Gaffer, Dum Dum Dugan, Gabe Jones, Eric Koenig and La Contessa Valentina Fondeau de Casa su Casa Mi Amore Absolutamente Por Favor. And they all came back!

Between the LMD escape hatch and the Secret Invasion, just about any dead S.H.I.E.L.D. agent can reappear at any time. And given that Quartermain and others show up on Disney XD Marvel cartoons, you know they're going to use those characters in the comics -- even if we have to wait for today's XD-watching kids to grow up and become editors at Marvel!

And I'm with the Commander on Sitwell -- I loved that the eager-beaver youngster turned out to be a valuable agent, instead of comedy relief. It gave hope to us geeks with IQs bigger than our biceps.

Getting back to the nominal topic of this thread ... is the Sitwell on the TV show dead? For some reason I think so, but I don't recall why.

The TV Sitwell was thrown out of a speeding car by the Winter Soldier in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Supposedly he's dead but you never know!

As for SHIELD agents returning from the dead, I remember when they did that with Sharon Carter after fifteen or twenty years of being demised! Cap was, of course, shocked but what amazed me was that Sharon was totally P.O'ed at him for some reason! Almost like she expected Cap to be looking for her after he saw footage of her being incinerated and for daring to go on with his life!

She shouldn't have been surprised. He didn't spend much time looking for Bucky either. Next Golden Girl will show up complaining he didnt come looking for her after Jeff Mace died.

He couldn't have looked for Bucky! He was on ice for twenty thirty forty decades!

Whether the TV Sitwell is alive or dead, he was a Hydra agent anyway, wasn't he?

And in the comics, the Contessa was revealed to be a double agent in Secret Warriors, much to my annoyance. It's not like there's a lot of likeable S.H.I.E.L.D. agents left. I never liked Maria Hill, Daisy Johnson seems redundant and most everybody else is currently dead. They even killed off Reb Ralston! At least they brought Sharon Carter back from the dead (again).

In the comics, the very idea of a likeable S.H.I.E.L.D. agent has become anathema.

Captain Comics said:

Whether the TV Sitwell is alive or dead, he was a Hydra agent anyway, wasn't he?

And in the comics, the Contessa was revealed to be a double agent in Secret Warriors, much to my annoyance. It's not like there's a lot of likeable S.H.I.E.L.D. agents left. I never liked Maria Hill, Daisy Johnson seems redundant and most everybody else is currently dead. They even killed off Reb Ralston! At least they brought Sharon Carter back from the dead (again).

IIRC, Fury always knew the Contessa was working for Leviathan/Hydra, but liked her anyway. And by "like" I mean "had sex with her regularly."

I doubt Steranko would agree with that.

Yes, I was being sarcastic, but it was a dig at Gotham, not Chase -- I've never read it, so I have no opinion on it, good, bad or indifferent.

But I do wonder how, and how long, Gotham can pull off a series where the cops win some of the battles but are foreordained to lose the war.

Captain Comics said:

I realize you're being sarcastic, CK, but yes, I thought that was the premise for Chase, and I was interested to see how long she could keep doing bad things for bad people in the name of doing something good. And there were a few other things tossed in there as well, such as her smoking and bad choices in men and a mysteriously bad past -- none of which is obviously different than Gordon, except for her obvious roughness around the edges. She wasn't middle class, and preferred the company of unsavory types -- in fact, her boyfriend was a reformed supervillain weapons supplier, who wasn't all that reformed, but she turned a blind eye to his extracurricular activities as long as he didn't get into serious trouble.

So, yeah, there were some Gordon elements there, but also some class things and gender things that Gordon didn't have. Plus she had a job that especially and deliberately put her at odds with the people that we think of as the Good Guys, underscored by her working for Mr. Bones, not a terribly reformed supervillain, which meant we really saw her at the wrong end of the telescope. All of which, of course, made me root all the more that she would rise above it and fly her True Hero flag.

Which I never got to see, because the series was canceled.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Captain Comics said:

I liked Chase, and I liked Chase. I was sorry to see it canceled. But the central tension -- decent person in an indecent job -- could only pertain for so long, and I wasn't surprised to see it go.

Hmmm... that's the entire basis for Gotham, watching rookie detective Jim Gordon flail about in a corrupt environment -- and fail, to the extent that a vigilante has to rise to do the Gotham P.D.'s work for them. The producers have said so.

I wonder how well that can work over the long haul ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service