I've been collecting DC Direct action figures of the Golden Age Justice Society of America for the past few years, and I finally put them together in these displays.

The first shows the original membership as depicted on the cover of All-Star Comics #3. The second shows the late-comers as depicted in a beautiful drawing by Murphy Anderson from the front cover of Roy Thomas' All-Star Companion book from several years ago.

I sent them to Roy and he hopes to run them in his next JSA-themed issue of Alter Ego, but I thought this crowd might enjoy seeing them now.

DC has not issued a Johnny Thunder figure, and likely never will, so my daughter Erin repainted a Jimmy Olsen figure. That sort of makes sense to me, because when I, as a kid, first encountered Johnny in a JLA/JSA team-up in the 1960s, I thought he must be the Earth-2 version of Jimmy.

Hoy

Views: 1630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They do indeed. I deleted my post when I saw yours, but not quick enough.

No need to. You had more info than mine!

Here's the pinup you mentioned. This would be a challenge. As far as I know, DC hasn't release figures for Mr. Terrific, Red Tornado I, Red Tornado II (in this first costume), or the ugly Robin costume.  I could substitute the later Neal Adams Robin version, but I have nothing for the others.

Also, getting those first two rows in a sitting or squatting position would be impossible! These figures just don't bend like that.

Hoy

As far as I know, DC hasn't release figures for...the ugly Robin costume.

That one may be a long time coming, as he's been replaced on Earth-2 by a Robin with a little more Robin-y costume to him, and the grouping that would have them going back to that original monstrosity are hard to imagine.

We should probably be grateful, because if he was produced, he'd look like this:

I don't know who designed that, but it's really bad. The notion that Robin would trade in his basic costume for Batman's, or throw his cape over Batman's costume, doesn't make much sense.

-- MSA

It's designed to throw terror into evildoers.

My pal Hoy wrote: the ugly Robin costume.  I could substitute the later Neal Adams Robin version, but I have nothing for the others.

When you first referred to "the ugly Robin costume," I thought you meant the Neal Adams version. Guess it all depends on when you first saw those respective costumes as to which you prefer (plus, that Adams version debuted as an afterthought in probably the worst JLA-JSA teamup of them all, the less said about which, the better -- my apologies to all Mike Friedrich fans).

The Sekowsky version occurred in the summer of 1967, after the second season of the "Batman" show, so it always evokes memories of how many ways DC could think up to keep Batman front and center on all their comics, even when Batman himself wasn't actually on the cover.

Has anyone else noted that "grown up" Robin's head doesn't fit his body?

I think Rob Liefeld did.

HA!  That's about what it looks like.  Seems like some other figure of Batman had the head removed, and another head was inserted, doesn't it?

Hoy Murphy said:

I think Rob Liefeld did.

When I got Justice League #110 for Christmas, I must have pored over this portrait a thousand times, wondering who they all were, what Johnny Thunder was whispering, why Black Canary and Red Tornado were there (I didn't know at the time), what Doctor Mid-Nite was saying to the Atom who didn't look like the Atom in either the JLA or JSA reprints and were the heroes in each row friends with one another?

Regarding the Bat-Robin costume, as I said before, that is what Robin would wear after he takes Batman's place as primary crimefighter of Gotham City to keep a visual continuity. The Blue & Gray are like a badge!

Hoy Murphy said:

Here's the pinup you mentioned. This would be a challenge. As far as I know, DC hasn't release figures for Mr. Terrific, Red Tornado I, Red Tornado II (in this first costume), or the ugly Robin costume.  I could substitute the later Neal Adams Robin version, but I have nothing for the others.

Also, getting those first two rows in a sitting or squatting position would be impossible! These figures just don't bend like that.

Hoy

Is that FORBUSH MAN in front of Johnny Lightning???!!!

It's the original Red Tornado, from the "Scribbly"/"Scribbly and the Red Tornado" strip in All-American Comics. Their costumes are based around the same gag; they consist substantially of red long underwear and a cooking pot helmet (Forbush Man's is a saucepan). Possibly Forbush Man's creators had the DC character consciously or unconsciously in mind.

The earliest appearances of the first Red Tornado can be read in the collection A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics ed. Michael Barrier and Martin Williams. "He" was really a big housewife called Ma Hunkel.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service