Justice League Dark

A friend invited me to the NY premiere of the new DC animated movie, Justice League Dark, last night. I haven’t seen many of the new DC direct-to-video movies -- just Batman vs Robin and I think the first one in the series, Justice League: War -- but this delivered more than I was expecting. Basically, people are hallucinating demons everywhere, and this is creating havoc, so Batman reaches out to Zatanna to find Constantine -- and along the way, Deadman, the Demon, Swamp Thing and Black Orchid get involved. It’s funnier than I expected, and there’s a nice twist to what’s going on about midway through. I’m not a giant fan of this movie series -- much of what I’ve seen seems to self-serious, and the animation style isn’t really my bag -- but if you’re interested in these characters, I’d recommend this. It’s a rare chance to see some of these characters onscreen.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Black Orchid? Man, that's obscure.

• Here are two cels released this week:

1936830728?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936832784?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Also,here's more information on another thread.

• Diffeerent version of Black Orchid: in the film she is the personification of The House of Mystery, "it made

itself a body."  Therefore, no backstory.  The creators of the film said that after reading all the various Black Orchid comics they still were not sure what her origin was and went for something simple.

Captain Comics said:

Black Orchid? Man, that's obscure.

• I think one of her origins is that she was a plant elemental, like swamp thing. But there were a number of stories that didn't jibe with that. I read them all, and I couldn't tell you.
  • Yeah, part of it was that in her earliest stories, she was a completely mysterious figure -- a master of disguise,as well as her other powers, and we never got any backstory on her for years. So she never really had a canon. 

That said, I was disappointed with her in the movie, too. She wasn't nearly as cool as she can be. 

This reply was deleted.