I'm curious--do you refrigerate ketchup/Catsup or not?

I'll start. My family stored the condiment properly, as God inteit, in a room temperature kitchen cabinet. That's how you bought it at the grocery store, and by gum that is how we ate it. Since it was mostly going to be used on hot foods like hot dogs, hamburgers and fries, it made no sense to keep it in the fridge; why put cold ketchup/catsup on hot food?

Anyway, I'm curious as to how many of you live good, honest lives and how many of you are worthless heathens. 

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stored in a cabinet until you open it.  Once it's open, in the fridge.

If you want to live dangerously, and introduce the risk of growing bacteria and mold In that ketchup, have at it. 

As I don't relish (heh) food poisoning as a result of a delicious meal, I will continue to refrigerate my condiments, thank you very much. 

Philistine! :P

ClarkKent_DC said:

If you want to live dangerously, and introduce the risk of growing bacteria and mold In that ketchup, have at it. 

As I don't relish (heh) food poisoning as a result of a delicious meal, I will continue to refrigerate my condiments, thank you very much. 

Me too.

The Baron said:

Stored in a cabinet until you open it.  Once it's open, in the fridge.

If I use a tomato-based condiment at all, I use steak sauce. It tastes better on hamburgers, on steaks, even on French fries. I'm sure I haven't bought a bottle of ketchup in, I know, at least 30 years. [EDIT: Here is the commercial that convinced me (1984), so it's been 38 years.] One of our (formerly) regular houseguests always asks for ketchup. As good hosts, we make sure to pick up some individual packets at a fast food restaurant the week before her visit so she'll have it. When we pick up burgers and fries and are given dozens of ketchup packets unasked for and I invariably throw them away, Tracy will often say, "I'm so glad I married a man who doesn't eat ketchup."

In answer to the original question, if it says "Refrigerate after opening" on the label, you should refrigerate it after opening.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"The Fuller Brush Girl (1950)Apparently, this is the last movie Lucille Ball made under her studio…"
29 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"From The Comics Beat (it may be even more dire): "The DCEU is fine, if by fine you mean a…"
3 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"We can go gangbusters with this cover:"
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC posted a discussion

R.I.P. Paul Coker Jr., of MAD Magazine and Rankin/Bass TV sp

I am remiss in not posting this when I first saw it, but Paul Coker Jr. died July 23 at 93.From…See More
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
4 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Ultraman Manga, by Eiichi Shimizu & Tomohiro Shimoguchi (Mildy Spoiler-ish)
"Volume Eleven The Ultramen defeat the Star of Darkness.  The last surivivor is their leader,…"
4 hours ago
Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) posted a News post
5 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Ultraman Manga, by Eiichi Shimizu & Tomohiro Shimoguchi (Mildy Spoiler-ish)
"Volume Ten Our heroes head to NYC, where the Star of Darkness types announce that they're…"
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Richard Willis said: According to Wikipedia, the episodes have a "Running time…"
6 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
10 hours ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"I read this issue this past weekend and told Jeff that I truly wonder what kind of mind thinks up…"
10 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #126: An offbeat fill-in issue written by Dick Foreman in which Swamp thing aids a burned-out…"
11 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service