I recently received a couple of collections of these (Thank you!). I vaguely recall reading an issue or two back in dinosaur times, but most of these are brand new to me. So, here are some superficial impressions!

Views: 797

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Black Panther #6 (November 1977) "A Cup of Youth"

The Panther and Mr. Little defeat the samurai, he takes them to his leader.  Meanwhile, back in Wakanda, T'Challa's half-brother launches a coup.  T'Challa gets in a fight, and Mr. Little sneaks off to steal some immortality water. And then it all goes south?

Say, T'Challa's an absolute monarch, isn't he? Isn't it kind of irresponsible for him to go off having adventures while he's got a country to run?  No wonder coup's are going on behind his back.

That was the main gist of Don McGregor's excellent run on "Jungle Action". Tchalla had been way too apart from the kingdom he was supposed to be ruling and even his closest advisors felt some resentment for that.

Most of those issues dealt with a full scale rebellion and the subtler conflicts that Tchalla had to deal with in Wakanda.

The later issues when he returned to America were noticeably weaker, though. And then Jungle Action was cancelled and Kirby disregarded them in order to tell his own history here in these issues.

The McGregor plot would be resolved eventually, but not by him and not in a very good way, in Marvel Premiere.

The Baron said:

Say, T'Challa's an absolute monarch, isn't he? Isn't it kind of irresponsible for him to go off having adventures while he's got a country to run?  No wonder coup's are going on behind his back.

The Baron said:

No wonder coup's are going on behind his back.

Ack!  "Coups", not "coup's", you semi-literate bastard!

A couple of years ago I read several years' worth of Mandrake the Magician dailies from the later 40s and 50s. By that point Lothar was the head of a Confederation of Tribes. I think there were two stories where Mandrake and he had to sort out a crisis that had arisen in his absence.

Come to think of it, Aquaman and the Sub-Mariner have had the same problem. But it never happens to Dr Doom.

Edit: It did once, in Astonishing Tales! The Red Skull and the Exiles seized control.

Black Panther  #7 (January 1978) "Drums!"

The Panther and Mr. Little leave the samurai city. T'Challa tells the history of the Panther Cult. When was Vibranium introduced, anyhow? Jakarra has exposed himself to Vibranium and he has mutated. N'gassi summons help. T'Challa and Mr. Little return to the Collectors. T'Challa escapes after a scuffle and heads home.  Back in Wakanda, one of the "ruling panthers" (whoever they are) has arrived!

Interesting stuff, but this story is feeling kind of drawn-out.

Vibranium was introduced in Fantastic Four #53 (which also introduced Klaw and his history with T'Challa, but he wasn't seen in his solidified sound form until #56). Supermegamonkey says the name was later applied to the vibrating ore introduced in Daredevil #13-#14, "resulting in Savage Land and Wakandan varieties". In the Daredevil story vibrating ore destroys metals with its vibrations. In Fantastic Four #53 vibranium absorbs them.

Black Panther #8 (March 1978) "Panthers or Pussycats?"

1. T'Challa flashes back to the ordeal where he became the Black Panther. Interesting sequence, I hadn't seen that scene before.
  2. In Wakanda, Jakarra goes on a rampage.  Four members of the ruling family have responded to N'gassi's call. they're an interesting collection of oddballs. Jakarra attacks them, but they manage to drive him off.
  3. T'Challa picks up two stranded mobsters, who cause his helicopter to crash.  One mobster is killed, but T'Challa survives with the other in tow.

OK stuff.

If you missed it, Mr Little's first name is Abner, so his name is Li'l Abner reversed.

Luke Blanchard said:

If you missed it, Mr Little's first name is Abner, so his name is Li'l Abner reversed.

Yeah, it took me a while to pick up on that.

I think it took me about twenty years.

Black Panther #9 (May 1978) "Back Musketeers"

T'Challa, with the injured mobster in tow, stumbles across a sci-fi movie being shot in the desert.  (A nice little Star Wars gag, here. )  Meanwhile, his cousins subdue Jakarra, then argue about what to do with him, long enough for him to escape.  T'Challa flees the movie set, but is pursued by the Sudanese military, to whom he surrenders. in hopes of stealing an airplane.

OK stuff, but it does feel like this story has been dragging on forever.

I wonder if this had any connection to the unproduced sci-fi movie that Kirby had been involved with that played a role in the movie Argo (and the actual events that movie was based on)?

The Baron said:

Black Panther #9 (May 1978) "Back Musketeers"

T'Challa, with the injured mobster in tow, stumbles across a sci-fi movie being shot in the desert.  (A nice little Star Wars gag, here. )  Meanwhile, his cousins subdue Jakarra, then argue about what to do with him, long enough for him to escape.  T'Challa flees the movie set, but is pursued by the Sudanese military, to whom he surrenders. in hopes of stealing an airplane.

OK stuff, but it does feel like this story has been dragging on forever.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service