For those of us who have been around the net together since the Compuserve Information Service days, I consider it appropriate that the last item in the last Ask Mr. Silver Age column in the last issue of Comics Buyers Guide should be a reference to Justice League of America #11 (although it's not about the part we usually discuss).

Thanks for more than 20 years of Silver Agey fun, Craig. I hope you can find another place for the continuing adventures of Mr. Silver Age.

--your pal, Hoy

Views: 621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Mr. Silver Age,

I clicked on a tab that says "Columns: Mr. Silver Age" and found in order, your old columns...as I scrolled down, I clicked on a few that grabbed my attention...and low and behold, some joker fan named "Kirk G" had written comments on EVERY one of them.  I checked, and while there were comments from this expert same fan posted clearly, there are never ANY responses from anyone else...let alone Mr. S.A.

Now does that seem fair to you?

Why not go back and copy and paste a few of those inquires from that terrific guy, and answer them here?  How about it?

Mr. S.A. could live on....

Example, from the rogue gallery of DD vs WW:

I think some additional weight should be given to the superb inking are art chores of Mr. Wally Wood. He added weight to any villian that ol’ Stan threw at DD. Just think, DD was called “ol hornhead” suggesting a bull…and so, a Matador rose to the occassion. And Stiltman WAS defeated by tripping him, but that came in his next appearance. For all intents and purposes, Stillman was gone forever when he shrink away to nothingness…and so a return/revival shouldn’t be held against him. Also, the Matador, like stiltman, also returned in the awsome DD Annual #1.
And it can’t be Kilgraves’ problem if Stan couldn’t figure out a way for him to get out of a roll of siran wrap! Honestly, I think ol’ Mr. S.A. stacked the deck here….

I checked, and while there were comments from this expert same fan posted clearly, there are never ANY responses from anyone else...let alone Mr. S.A. 

The problem with CBG's system, after it turned off its Forum section, is that I never received any indication (via email) that comments had been added to the section. So there was no way for me to know something had been added unless I checked. And I gave up checking after awhile, especially earlier columns, as there were never any comments over there.

I think my column was one of the few active sections of the board, in that new material was added each month, so few people were going to the columnist section to look. Most of the traffic came from my links on Facebook and CapCom.

More to the point, no one else would have any reason to check back, either, especially after they'd read it. So making a comment, and me responding, would have been seen by me and the poster, if the poster thought to go look again, and that's all..

Now does that seem fair to you?

It might not be fair for someone totally unfamiliar with CapCom, but that's not you. And since I posted those column links to this very board every month, as I did with that DD vs. WW here: http://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/rogues-bracketology-dd-v..., and you added your comments there at the time we discussed it (and it had 92 comments posted), I am not feeling your pain. You kinda went out of your way to make sure nobody saw that comment.

If you'd like, you could take those new comments you posted over at CBG, post them in the appropriate thread on this board (you can easily search here, I think, or just scroll back; the DD vs. WW thread is on page 11 right now). That way, everyone will see your comments and my responses. Because not only will I get a note that there's been a new comment, but it will bump to the top of the list here so everyone knows to look.

That sounds fair to me. Because if you're posting on that CBG board, you might as well be emailing me.

I think some additional weight should be given to the superb inking are art chores of Mr. Wally Wood.

I agree that Wood could make anything look more plausible, but sadly, Stilty didn't have Wood to ink him all the time. I was talking more about the Stiltman concept and how he acted in that story, not so much that he was styling. That made the Ani-Men look pretty good, too. WW had Andru & Esposito, which isn't really bad, but it's not Wood.

Just think, DD was called “ol hornhead” suggesting a bull…and so, a Matador rose to the occassion.

Another good reason why the Matador should've gone down fast and hard in the brackets.

For all intents and purposes, Stillman was gone forever when he shrink away to nothingness…and so a return/revival shouldn’t be held against him.

Maybe for all intents and purposes for that story but the later brackets took into account their later performances, and Stilty's was pretty sad. He should've stayed molecular.

And it can’t be Kilgraves’ problem if Stan couldn’t figure out a way for him to get out of a roll of siran wrap!

LOL! It's not really Egg Fu's fault that Kanigher made him so gosh-darn stupid looking and sounding either, I suppose. Or the Matador's fault that Stan thought he was a legitimate villain.

Mr. Silver Age doesn't go meta. If Kilgrave can't get out of a roll of Saran Wrap, then it's Kilgrave's problem.

Honestly, I think ol’ Mr. S.A. stacked the deck here….

Methinks I've got a Marvel zombie on my hands. I don't hear you standing up for Egg Fu. I actually play the hand I'm dealt as a fan. And none of those brackets looks like more than a pair of twos to me.

Speaking of which, I was just about to start on this year's Bracketology when things stopped. Should it have been Teens (Torch vs. Titans) or Tinies (Ant-Man vs. Atom)? So many choices.

-- MSA

You've nailed me....a Marvel zombie back when it meant "fan-boy" and not an an animated corpse!

I know you know that I'm just keedin' here... I keed, I keed....

However I'd be thrilled with any of your suggestions for continuing the discussions here...or the next round of brackets.

Frankly, Ant-man vs. Atom is one I'd love to see.  I can't wait for him to get stepped on! (LOL!)

And by coincidence, I read the first Marvel Masterworks volume of Human Torch stories again last night. They're not half bad, for an attempt at making him a boy wonder detective...HA!

No, sorry...a couple of weeks ago I was shocked to see two different folks reprint images of Strange Tales #118 and I was surprised to discover that I didn't have a copy of the first FF Johnny Storm Human Torch stories. (Instead, I later discovered, that I bought the Essential Human Torch volume, but didn't recall that.  And as a result, I had only the second volume. I immediately went out and hunted down a copy of the first volume, and someone beat me to the punch buying the variant cover...so I settled for a CHEAP standard cover, and it arrived yesterday...so I read the thing pretty much cover to cover, and enjoyed the Dick Ayers memories in the two page introduction.  And that's how I learned I had already read them all before!

Kirk G said:
You've nailed me....a Marvel zombie back when it meant "fan-boy" and not an an animated corpse!

I guess I was a partial Marvel Zombie back then. I bought almost everything they published, but also a large proportion of the DC books, and later Charlon and Tower.

Frankly, Ant-man vs. Atom is one I'd love to see.

I enthusiastically second this!

I confess, Mr. S.A. my memory of what I've responded to and where, is going kaput!  Middle age strikes again!

And further, I have absolutely NO knowledge of Egg Fu nor the Mad Mod...  I am a Marvel fanboy at  heart!

(Tell me, is it true that Nightwing actually bedded that interspecies space tramp Starfire???)

I confess, Mr. S.A. my memory of what I've responded to and where, is going kaput!  Middle age strikes again!

You're not alone there. Every so often an old thread pops up, and I can't figure out how I missed it back then--and then I come to some of my own comments. I don't think these conversations are meant to go into our long-term memory, which is probably a good thing--as long as we still agree with our comments when we see them again.

It's fine with me if you want to revive any of my old column threads by going back and commenting on them again. Most anything we talk about here is evergreen--whether the comics came out 40 years ago or 41 years ago really doesn't make a difference. And by commenting here, others see the comments, which is really the point. The last few years' worth of columns are still available for anyone who wants to read them.

And further, I have absolutely NO knowledge of Egg Fu nor the Mad Mod...  I am a Marvel fanboy at  heart!

I read both Marvel and DC as a kid, although I read way more DC, both because that's where I started and because there were so many more to read, including stuff like Blackhawk and Rip Hunter. Although three of the first comics I remember buying were AF #15 (which I still have), FF #8 and Avengers #1. Sadly, those last two went in one of my annual summer nickel comic book sales. Plus, I never liked Marvel's split books, as the stories just seemed to start before they were stopping.

But having no knowledge of Egg Fu or Mad Mod is not a bad thing. They just make the good stuff look way better by comparison.

Tell me, is it true that Nightwing actually bedded that interspecies space tramp Starfire?

There's no way. His heart belongs to Lucy, and he'd remain true to her whether in Kandor or Metropolis. Sure, girls like Allura and Dialla fed his ego, but they were never a threat. I know not of this vixen you call Starfire.

-- MSA

Don't you mean Flamebird's heart belong to Lucy, MSA? Nightwing's heart belongs to either Lois or Sylvia, depending on your POV.

I do! I was moving too fast and confused the order. I apologize to both Nightwing and Flamebird for the confusion. Well, maybe not Flamebird, he'd be complimented. Even so, Nightwing still wasn't interested in Starfire, that's just crazy talk.

Frankly, if Nightwing had been smart, his heart would've belonged to Lana. He never should have forgotten his first love. She was a way better choice than Lo.

-- MSA

No way. Lois was Supie's first love; Lana was just a retconned-in supporting player. And was it ever established, in any Weisinger era comic book, that Superboy actually loved Lana? I think not.

HAH!  Lana Lang is Superman's version of Elektra!   : )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service