For those of us who have been around the net together since the Compuserve Information Service days, I consider it appropriate that the last item in the last Ask Mr. Silver Age column in the last issue of Comics Buyers Guide should be a reference to Justice League of America #11 (although it's not about the part we usually discuss).

Thanks for more than 20 years of Silver Agey fun, Craig. I hope you can find another place for the continuing adventures of Mr. Silver Age.

--your pal, Hoy

Views: 612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave, Dave, Dave, your naivete is quite striking, considering how many issues you've read confirming what's right before your eyes. Does this look like a guy who's just out for a good time? Can't you see that, no matter what he tells that persistent, relentless harpie who hounds his every move that his love really is directed in a different direction? The evidence is right there!

And you stoop to calling Lana a retcon? On Superman? His being able to *fly* is a retcon. Supergirl is a retcon. I'd guess 90% of all Superman stories (including every single Superboy story) involves a retcon. So when it comes to Superman, "retcon" is not an insult to be thrown at Superman's life-long love. Facts are facts. -- MSA

I knew those images were gonna go goofy. But man, I'm not improving at this at all. I do not know why laying in a graphic or two is so darn difficult for me, but after many attempts here, that's as good as it gets.

-- MSA

It looks like it is doing some weird formatting on you. Are you uploading the pics or linking to them? Too late now of course, but you may be able to fiddle with the html directly.

Mr. Silver Age said:

I knew those images were gonna go goofy. But man, I'm not improving at this at all. I do not know why laying in a graphic or two is so darn difficult for me, but after many attempts here, that's as good as it gets.

-- MSA

I upload them from the tab above the reply box, from images I've downloaded to my computer. I was trying to place three left to right and then write beneath them. They're in the opposite order that I posted them, ie, the one at the top right was the last to be put up. This was more complicated than usual, but they never seem to go anywhere near where I expect them to if there's more than one.

Thanks for the notion that I can deal with the HTML, but I doubt I'd have any idea what I was doing. But I'm willing to take any suggestions anyone has on how they do it.

-- MSA

I'm not an HTML expert at all, hopefully someone like Randy Jackson or Rich Lane will see this and be able to help out more. My guess there are line breaks being put in there and other stuff to mess it up.

My experience, from trying to load the X-men funeral pages, is that the system will always place the next image on top of the one already there.  You can beat this by placing your cursor in the space just beyond the first graphic, and that's the target where it will place the second.

But I wasted almost an hour one day, trying to get the damn sequencing right.

I never thought to post page 4 first, then page 3, then page 2 and finally the spash page.  Would have made it so much easier.  Of course, I was also working with full scans from my scaner, and positioning them left, middle, right wouldn't have had much effect at all.

"But I wasted almost an hour one day, trying to get the damn sequencing right."

I'm reminded of when I was working on Nick Simon's Silver Age Marvel site. Nick "wrote" the entire website in raw HTML code without any kind of website design program, and apparently felt I should follow suit, and so, using nothing more than Windows NOTEBOOK, I began upgrading and modifying the entire site, in raw HTML code.

There was one day when I was trying to do something "fancy" with the HULK "index" page.  And what, I felt SURE, should have taken less than 5 minutes, if I had any kind of proper website design software at all, took me 4 HOURS to figure out, thru incessant trial-and-error (mostly error and error and error before it finally came up the way I wanted it to).

Since Nick let the site go down in early 2011, I've determined that, WHEN (not if) I can afford to do it myself, I will put the site back up, myself, eventually, and when I do, I'll be redesigning the thing with a PROPER piece of software!  (I have nothing to "prove" to myself when it comes to "having" to use raw code.)

Mr. Silver Age said:

I've been experimenting, and have posted what I've found here.

Today I am mailing a letter to F+W Media requesting a refund on my subscription.

Good luck on  that. Let us know how well they take to the sugestion. (I'm betting you'll be offered an alternative subscription to whatever they're still currently publishing...

Richard Willis said:

Today I am mailing a letter to F+W Media requesting a refund on my subscription.

Part of my letter says I have no interest in their other magazines, and not to substitute one of them. I asked them for a check. I have eight issues coming!

Kirk G said:

Good luck on  that. Let us know how well they take to the sugestion. (I'm betting you'll be offered an alternative subscription to whatever they're still currently publishing...

Richard Willis said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service