You may have seen my thread stirring up interest for a movie discussion group. I said I would create the actual thread for the discussion on Friday. Well a day early, here it is!

The rules are simple. Those you have joined have picked a film. We take a week to watch the movie and a week to discuss. I'll post the list we have so far. Feel free join along. When you're film is up, you lead the discussion.

The list (which will be added to and/or updated)

The Mummy (1999 version)

Casablanca

Miller's Crossing

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Miracle at Morgan's Creek (Available on youtube)

Vertigo & Citizen Kane discussion

I went with the short list to begin with but it certainly can grow.

Views: 1559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...You may well have a point , Figs , about contemporary poorer Catholics' greater independence from their priests than was generally thought then...Even as , today , statistics about officially declared  Protestants , for the first time since such statistics etc. , dipping below the 50 percent mark in the listings of the American population ( First it was the Supreme Court , then...) 's official spiritual affiliations made the news...

However , as far as the anti-" FILTHY MOVIES " campaign of the 30s went , I believe that rather Catholic/perhaps especially Irish-bought sensational and tabloid newspapers of the period such as the Hearst ones and the McCormick/Patterson were especially active in the anti-Hollywood campaign - (Wanting the proles to get their smut/suggestiveness from the local inkies , instead ??????? ) The Hearst newspapers supposedly said " Isn't Congress going to do anything about Mae West ? " and the NEWS reacted to THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE , with Miriam Hopkins , with something like " If this doesn't make the case for a Code , nothing will " or similar .

( I was going to detail some more Pre-Code naughties I've seen , but don't have time for it now . That particular one , a somewhat expurgated but even so adaptation of William Faulkner's " Sanctuary " was a particularly notorious...)

I think it has been said about the Irish , (speaking as someone w/at least some " passed-through " Irishness and definite Celt-ness in general) that , when some DPO lend themselves to denying/replacing sex , they go all-out at it !!!!!!!!!

DPO?

In Ireland itself there was a fine TV show for many years called the Late Late Show.  They discussed matters important to the lives of Irish people, in a generally grown-up way, late on Saturday night after the children had gone to bed.

The Catholic Church reacted to much of this with anger and bullying.

One politician famously complained "there was no sex in Ireland before the Late Late Show."

Which is neither here nor there!

Are you serious? What kind of comment is that?

Maybe everyone should refrain from commenting on each other’s countries, so we can avoid the wrath of the moderators.

Or upgrade the brand of petrol they are sniffing, and thus avoid weird, embarassing non-sequitors?

You're a gas man!

Hey guys lets keep the discussion on movies. Not sure if this is just a humorous back and forth or something more. If you have a disagreement or misunderstanding, discuss it via personal messages. Thanks.

I noticed the pre-Hays Office movies first when I was in high school. 

I had a friend that loved W.C. Fields and he got me watching them.  There are several times in those movies in which the dialogue was more than a bit racy.  "My Little Chickadee" featured Mae West in all her hedonistic glory. 

Fields' expression, "Godfrey Daniels!" was his way of taking God's name in vain. 

...I meant " DO " , Figs , not " DPO "...........that was a finger-slip .

...That reminds me of how the Judge Dredd movie I saw dropped the " cute " substitute curse words that the comic is noted for " Frakking " , IIRC , and the like - I believe that whoever came up with them were rather educated , and based the JD fake curse words on Latin/whatever language versions of some of the same cusswords/blastthemies that the well-known " Anglo-Saxon curse words " developed from , so they more or less said the same thing !!! - Anyway , in the recent past , I saw them bing used in Legion Of Super-Heroes as well .

The JD movie...well , maybe I should add onto that thread instead !!!!!!!!! Frakk you ! :-)

Mike Parnell said:

I noticed the pre-Hays Office movies first when I was in high school. 

I had a friend that loved W.C. Fields and he got me watching them.  There are several times in those movies in which the dialogue was more than a bit racy.  "My Little Chickadee" featured Mae West in all her hedonistic glory. 

Fields' expression, "Godfrey Daniels!" was his way of taking God's name in vain. 

...I had a ****-up that didn't allow my correction of the above to go up , " blasphemies " , and the like , " being " used in LSH...Oh , and Mike , " MLC " was post-Code...but I guess the censor stood little chance against BOTH W.C. and Mae , and had to let some through !!!!!!!!!!!

Even some well-known movies from the pre-Code period that aren't really " Pre-Code " in the sense we're discussing here have their moments...The famed Busby Berkley musical 42d STREET has a bit at the beginning ( I assume this might have been censored from the film in the immediate post-Code years and only restored later ??? )...The Broadway show that the characters are putting on has started its very first rehersal , with the dances in street clothes , not costumes , making their first attempts at the moves that they'll perform in the show . A routine of the female dancers sitting upon the seated , male , dancer's laps is performed .

A male dancer protests at the female who sat on him , " Hey !!! Whaddaya think you're sittin' on ?!! "

She replies: " A flagpole " !!!!!!!!!!!

When I quoted that one to my late father , he winced and said , Oh !!! Those pre-Code films msure could be raunchy ! " !:-)...

Judge Dredd used the term 'Drokk' rather than 'Frak' which was from Battlestar Galactica, and has gained currency amongst the nerdy set.  And 'Grudd' instead of God.  Judge Dredd presented complex and sophisticated satire and commentary to very young readers, amongst all the mayhem, so I can't fault how they went about it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service