You may have seen my thread stirring up interest for a movie discussion group. I said I would create the actual thread for the discussion on Friday. Well a day early, here it is!

The rules are simple. Those you have joined have picked a film. We take a week to watch the movie and a week to discuss. I'll post the list we have so far. Feel free join along. When you're film is up, you lead the discussion.

The list (which will be added to and/or updated)

The Mummy (1999 version)

Casablanca

Miller's Crossing

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Miracle at Morgan's Creek (Available on youtube)

Vertigo & Citizen Kane discussion

I went with the short list to begin with but it certainly can grow.

Views: 1559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Thank you , Figs , I even said " IIRC " , and presenting a " what I remember..." is meant as a " Is it ??? ' question (even if you do not Spell It Out???)...This was from the original , ABC-Lorne Greene , Battlestar Galactica ?

I suppose I'm right , essentially anyway , then about the Dredd-sters' modeling the cusswords after the " genuine article " .

I've never heard that before about why the JD guys chose the words they did.  Interesting.  I'll look into it.

I don't know if the foul-mouthed Fraking was in the original BG series.  I don't think so.  Geeks using the word took off with the new series anyway.

This reminds me of some Mark Twain short stories. Apparently at the time there were stories presented to young boys attempting to convince them that good boys always were rewarded and bad boys were always punished. Twain, having a wonderfully sick sense of humor, wrote a couple of stories in a similar style but with the result the the bad boys prospered and the good boys were luckless.

Figs said:

Female actors these days have an even shorter moment in the spotlight, it seems to me. Back when I used to read Empire, each month had a new lithesome starlet who'd just been involved in a blockbuster and was going to be the next big thing.

Yeah, but that happens with everything. Sports, politics, music, etc.

That looks good. I'll be seeing it.

George Poague said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7vYhtfNM9U

"Hitchcock" trailer: Anthony Hopkins as the Master of Suspense.

I plan to see this, but I doubt many other people will. Movies about movies are never big hits.

...More Hollywood , " Truman Capote/Earth-bound meteor-style , doubling...There's a TV movie about Hitch's making of " The Birds " and relationship with Tippi Hendren coming up on HBO , considerably less A.H.-favorable than Sir Anthony's one...

You can count me as a viewer of the new "Hitchcock" movie. 

Yeah, I'll definitely be watching that one, too, Mike.

So favorite Hitchcock film?

I haven't seen everything he's done but I do like Pyscho. It was shot so well and I can only imagine watching way back then what it must have been like to think the film is going in a particular direction then the leading lady is killed off! Anthony Perkins is very creepy in this and the black and white really added to the overall creepiness of the film. I did see the remake with Vince Vaughn and it pales in comparison, there's nothing new added to the remake and original did things so much better.

I also like Rear Window. I'm not a Jimmy Stewart fan regardless if he's playing a gruffer type or a kind hearted fellow. He works well here though. Disturbia which is a modern remake of Rear Window. While not as good as the original it's still a decent modern day teen thriller that will at least entertain you.

Maybe because it was the first one I remember seeing, but my favorite if probably To Catch a Thief. I haven't seen all of his movies either, Jason. Every once in a while I get on a Hitchcock kick and I figure I will power through them. I usually watch two and then move on.

You aren't a Jimmy Stewart fan? Man that is some breaking news I think. I generally like him.

Jason Marconnet said:

So favorite Hitchcock film?

I haven't seen everything he's done but I do like Pyscho. It was shot so well and I can only imagine watching way back then what it must have been like to think the film is going in a particular direction then the leading lady is killed off! Anthony Perkins is very creepy in this and the black and white really added to the overall creepiness of the film. I did see the remake with Vince Vaughn and it pales in comparison, there's nothing new added to the remake and original did things so much better.

I also like Rear Window. I'm not a Jimmy Stewart fan regardless if he's playing a gruffer type or a kind hearted fellow. He works well here though. Disturbia which is a modern remake of Rear Window. While not as good as the original it's still a decent modern day teen thriller that will at least entertain you.

Rear Window is definitely my favorite. I love the limited POV, I love Stewart and Kelly, and I love the tension when she's sneaking into the apartment. 

I haven't seen any of his silent films, and looking at his filmography, there's a lot I have left to see. But I've seen:

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

Rebecca

Saboteur

Lifeboat

Spellbound

Notorious

Rope

Dial M for Murder

Rear Window

The Trouble with Harry

Vertigo

North By Northwest

Psycho

The Birds

Marnie

Topaz

The one that I'm missing that I probably most need to see is Strangers on a Train, but I really want to see Notorious again, too.

My two favorites are "Rear Window" and "North by Northwest." 

Both of them play to the idea of a man who is caught up in something he can do little about.  Both Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart play these characters extremely well.  Hitchcock works with both in ways that we see how even in helpless situations they both have power to overcome their circumstances. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service