You may have seen my thread stirring up interest for a movie discussion group. I said I would create the actual thread for the discussion on Friday. Well a day early, here it is!

The rules are simple. Those you have joined have picked a film. We take a week to watch the movie and a week to discuss. I'll post the list we have so far. Feel free join along. When you're film is up, you lead the discussion.

The list (which will be added to and/or updated)

The Mummy (1999 version)

Casablanca

Miller's Crossing

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Miracle at Morgan's Creek (Available on youtube)

Vertigo & Citizen Kane discussion

I went with the short list to begin with but it certainly can grow.

Views: 1556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I've seen few , but , oddly , some years ago I saw the quite obscure/uncharacteristic for Hitch MR. AND MRS. SMITH !!!
Rob Staeger said:

Rear Window is definitely my favorite. I love the limited POV, I love Stewart and Kelly, and I love the tension when she's sneaking into the apartment. 

I haven't seen any of his silent films, and looking at his filmography, there's a lot I have left to see. But I've seen:

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

Rebecca

Saboteur

Lifeboat

Spellbound

Notorious

Rope

Dial M for Murder

Rear Window

The Trouble with Harry

Vertigo

North By Northwest

Psycho

The Birds

Marnie

Topaz

The one that I'm missing that I probably most need to see is Strangers on a Train, but I really want to see Notorious again, too.

I notice that one of my favorite Hitchcock films isn't on your list. If you really haven't seen it, I highly recommend Shadow of a Doubt.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I've seen few , but , oddly , some years ago I saw the quite obscure/uncharacteristic for Hitch MR. AND MRS. SMITH !!!
Rob Staeger said:

Rear Window is definitely my favorite. I love the limited POV, I love Stewart and Kelly, and I love the tension when she's sneaking into the apartment. 

I haven't seen any of his silent films, and looking at his filmography, there's a lot I have left to see. But I've seen:

The 39 Steps

The Lady Vanishes

Rebecca

Saboteur

Lifeboat

Spellbound

Notorious

Rope

Dial M for Murder

Rear Window

The Trouble with Harry

Vertigo

North By Northwest

Psycho

The Birds

Marnie

Topaz

The one that I'm missing that I probably most need to see is Strangers on a Train, but I really want to see Notorious again, too.

Thanks, Richard -- I'll definitely be checking that one out!

...I saw it , it's a good flick , but I missed the Jack Kirby appearance entirely although I saw that it was billed in the end credits , just as you wrote !!!!!

I did not see anybody introducing himself as " Jack Kirby " , or at a drawing board...or smoking a cigar while doing so  , FTM !!! :-)

Seriously , I missed it .

Where was it ?

There was an end-roll credit for " Art in the style of Jack Kirby drawn by..." , I guess to represent the (spoiler) art that we see all through the film representing the film they are planning to make ~ It gets left in Iran at the end , actually , but we see some of it in Ben Affleck's son's room later on  - Some that was not taken to Iran ?

I have sometimes thought that big-time movies , which sometimes get rushed to theaters in their final cut at hasty speed , might at times have slightly different cuts sent out by accident - But , now that many theaters show digital prints (and ours here that showed this do) , I'd think that was less common , for certain . (I have sometimes thought that big-time movies sometimes list , following the contract , actors in the end credits for roles that were close to or actually 100% cut out of the finished film , proverbial " cutting-room floor " victims .)

I thought there might be a scene-setting comment about " DC and Marvel don't appreciate him (Kirby) anymore "...:-)

I suppose Kirby's actual art madefofr the Argo project might have been long-since pulped , if not just lost by neglect . How much , if anything , did he know of the project's " special "-ness ?

The portrayal of there being a casting call - in costume - for the Argo movie held in Hollywood as part of building the fake up was interesting .

Has anybody here read the written pieces telling the story of the Argo project that the movie credits ?

Does the CIA still own the legal rights to the screenplay ?

Perhaps someone could make a graphic novel out of it !!!

George Poague said:

Comics fans might want to see the new movie "Argo," in which actor Michael Parks plays JACK KIRBY!

Kirby provided storyboard art for the real Argo project, which helped rescue several Americans from Iran after the embassy was seized. Ben Affleck (a comics fan) was probably happy to include this in the movie. I haven't seen "Argo" yet, but I plan to see it soon.

...BTW , I thought we saw , among the real movie posters hanging in the background , a Phyllis Diller movie poster .

...Thank you . Can you give me more detail , please :-) ?

George Poague said:

Parks appeared as Kirby in one brief scene, and no, there was no dialogue identifying him as the King (sadly).

So anyone see any great movies recently? I've seen some good films and some not so great films. None of which necessarily warrant much discussion here.

I did see Django Unchained which I really liked. So Tarantino, anyone have an opinion on him. Seems like he's more popular among my generation. I wasn't a huge fan to begin with but have grown to appreciate his movies. For me at least I have found they are better upon repeat viewings. The two that initially won me over were True Romance which he only wrote the screen play and Jackie Brown.

I haven't Django unchained, but I am a huge Tarantino fan. A few weeks back that did a special for the 20th anniversary of Reservoir Dogs and they show that on Tuesday, and Pulp Fiction on Thursday. That was a lot of fun. Some neat interviews before the movies started, and the trailers before them were for old movies picked out by Tarantino.

It wasn't until the third time that I saw Jackie Brown that I really grew to appreciate it.

I still think Kill Bill vol. 2 runs too long on the exposition, and the two movies would have worked better if they had released them as one long movie as was the original intention. The studio just didn't want to put out a 4 1/2 hour movie or whatever it would have been. Plus two movies means a lot more bucks for the studio (See stretching The Hobbit into a trilogy)

Well, I just saw ARGO on DVD (from Netflix). Even though I was watching for the Jack Kirby character I missed him. I should have stopped it and looked again. The scene was so brief I couldn't even find the scene when going back after finishing the movie.

Really enjoyed the movie, though I understand some of it (especially the police chase at the end) was tweaked for dramatic purposes.

I'm sure they didn't tell Kirby what was really going on. At the time he probably thought it was just another job.

I saw Argo right before it won the Oscar. I liked it a lot. The Jack Kirby seen is when they are getting the storyboard drawn for the film. Well not exactly storyboards but picture cards.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service