You may have seen my thread stirring up interest for a movie discussion group. I said I would create the actual thread for the discussion on Friday. Well a day early, here it is!

The rules are simple. Those you have joined have picked a film. We take a week to watch the movie and a week to discuss. I'll post the list we have so far. Feel free join along. When you're film is up, you lead the discussion.

The list (which will be added to and/or updated)

The Mummy (1999 version)

Casablanca

Miller's Crossing

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Miracle at Morgan's Creek (Available on youtube)

Vertigo & Citizen Kane discussion

I went with the short list to begin with but it certainly can grow.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Mummy (1999) will be our first movie. We'll discuss it on Monday, July 18. That's a little more than a week but that'll give any later comers a chance to track down the movie. After this we'll take exactly a week to watch the film. So have fun watching!
  • Thanks for the time, Jason as I certainly don't want to do your idea an injustice by being first and doing a lousy job!

I have The Mummy on DVD (and The Mummy II, The Scorpion King and even The Mummy (1932)). I will only use the computer for cast info and I will not hear the commentary again. I will watch it and jot down good/bad points as they occur. Unless someone wants me to mention the commentary but that will take a second or third viewing!

• You can handle the discussion any whay you'd like, Phillip. I'm sure everyone will lead their discussion differently. I'm looking forward to seeing the film, it's been at least a decade since I've seen it.
  • Well, I thought the Mummy was at the top of my Netflix queue but apparently Country Strong was. Netflix has a quick turn around so hopefully I can get to it in time. I'll check the local library to see if they have it. If all else fails I saw that the Mummy will be on TNT next weekend.
  • I've been meaning to drop a line and say that I too would like to join in on the discussions. I think I should be able to see the Mummy pretty soon. It's a lot of fun, and it has some interesting connections to some of director Stephen Sommers other films.
  • I am a sucker for old movies, so I'm going to suggest a screwball comedy from the 1940s. Is that something you all can handle? And does Netflix have it available?

If so, I would like to add "The Miracle at Morgan's Creek," it's pretty funny -- I promise!

• Glad to have you, LJ. Suggest a movie and we'll add it to the list!
  • I just watched The Mummy for the first time in a long time today just for fun. I made some notes, mostly mental and will watch it again during the week for some attempt at a critical analysis.
  • Sorry LJ, I didn't see your other post when I posted. I'll check Netflix when I get home. I think I should be able to locate but I'll let you know. You might want to come up with a second option just in case it's not easy for any of us to find.
  • It's not exactly available on Netflix. You can find it on there but it's not available yet. However, it's available on Youtube!

Lumbering Jack said:

I am a sucker for old movies, so I'm going to suggest a screwball comedy from the 1940s. Is that something you all can handle? And does Netflix have it available?

If so, I would like to add "The Miracle at Morgan's Creek," it's pretty funny -- I promise!

This reply was deleted.