Liefeld Quits DC

As I write this, Rob Liefeld is tweeting that he's quit DC's New 52 -- the 0 issues will be his last.

I don't read his comics, but I always like to hear what he has to say about the industry. His point of view is refreshing, in the sense that he sees a lot of the jobs he takes as just that: jobs. He approaches them like a craftsman, not an artist, and as such the complaints that he voices about the experience tend to be more down-to-earth than those of other creators. (That isn't to say he doesn't have ego -- he has it in spades -- but he also recognizes he's a hired gun in a way that other talent sometimes doesn't seem to.)

Some quotes:

Just finished sending my thank you's to DC personnel. Officially got off the DC52 treadmill this morning...

Scott Clark will be replacing me p. Deathstroke. Marat will continue the work on Grifter...I had a great time at DC.

I believe in what DC is doing, but had to preserve my sanity.

I walked off all 3 books. Can't wait to see any attempts to spin. I have every email.

The 0's are my last issues. Thanks for all the love.

This is the 4th time I quit in the last 4 months. This time it will stick.

I would put  on Deathstroke and Grifter. In a heartbeat.

Never thought the Image section of my book would be topped. This last year was a humdinger. The DC52 chapters will go top all of it.

Reasons are the same as everyone's that you hear. I lasted a few months longer than I thought possible.

Massive indecision, last minute and I mean LAST minute changes that alter everything. Editor pissing contests... No thxnjs

Last week my editor said " early on we had a lot of indie talent that weren't used to re-writes and changes..made it hard". Uh, no, it's you

No idea? Geoff Johns? Josh Fialkov? No idea.. RT  who's taking Hawkman?

I respect Dan Didio and Bob Harras and thank them for the opportunities. Again, I dig many DC 52 books.

Rich Johnston has also arrived on his feed. Rob was asked if his books would be canceled without him, and Rob said, "Why would they?" Rich said, "Because I was told by DC people that if you left, or your run didn't work out, the books would be dropped."

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Liefeld Quits DC"? Oh, no! My life is over!

Seriously, Rob, I think this might be the first time the words "Rob Liefeld" and "craftsman" were used in the same post.

(That was really snarky, wasn't it?)

• See I was interested in Grifter before he took over, but now I don't that he is leaving I don't know if I will be coming back.

• Ha, that's certainly true. 

Like I said, I'm not a fan. But his approach to work-for-hire seems to be with eyes wide open. He knows he's hired to do a job, and he does it. I don't care for how he does it, but the people that hire him aren't hiring him to draw in someone else's style -- they want the Liefeld Touch.

• But it does show how this new DCnU is not the most stable or nurturing creative enviroment.

• It certainly does. Few workplaces are, these days.

• "Bad touch! Bad touch!"

• I read someone else describe the new 52 as a marketing success and an editorial fiasco. 

• ...You know , the last few issues of HAWK & DOVE he did after the original writer departed , with him now credited as writer too , had him also credited ( on the covers ) as sole artist - but with less and less actual editorial input by him as an artist as the three or so issues went by ( Yes , I bought all of 'em . ) , when you read the credits , though I don't have those issues now to check them .

• I'm confused: Aren't there already solicits past the zero issues that still show him as writer and/or artist?

• There are, but they were solicited before they were completed. So they'll likely be made returnable.

This reply was deleted.