Replies

• Great article, Mr. Age, but I do feel obliged to point out that the image you use to set up the whole premise is, of course, from a post-Silver Age comic book... very post-SA, considering that the entire Sekowsky and Oksner eras had come and gone, along with the 52-Big-Pages format, and Supergirl had left ADVENTURE for her own eponymous title. Can't argue with the impact of brilliant Bob Oksner's heart-rending cover, though. Is that kitty supposed to be Streaky, by the way, or just some random cat?

On the topic of all-time worst Supergirl costumes, you did indeed find a ghastly one, but I would nominate either of these two as more worthy of the notoreity, especially since they were featured on the cover. I couldn't find a cover that included your pick for fashion disaster, so maybe it was just an interior thing. The Peter Pan slippers on ADVENTURE # 408 are a particularly nice touch, and the sleepwear she's sporting on ish # 412 anticipates a trend that wouldn't actually happen for another 40 years, if you believe the article in today's Wall Street Journal: "Why Not Wear Pajamas All Day?"

1936056948?profile=original

1936057273?profile=original

• Wasn't Supergirl's first kiss with Superman??? I know she was in disguise and it was some anti-Lois plot, I think?

Then there was the potential romance with Jimmy Olsen which included one imaginary story where the two married! Egads!

In Superboy and the Legion #204, we learned "Brainiac 5's Secret Weakness" and  guess who it was? And what he did about it?

Sorry to say, I enjoyed those 52 Page Adventure Comics more for the reprints than the Maid of Steel!

• It's true, Dave, that I strayed into the 1970s for that opening cover image, as the 20-cent tag makes clear. As Mark notes, it's just too classic of a cover summarizing my topic not to go out into that wasteland and drag it out for a few moments admiration.

I1936056576?profile=RESIZE_320x320t's pretty tough to pick an all-time worst Kara costume and certainly tastes will vary. The Peter Pan shoes are a nice touch, as is that solid-blue unitard. It's just amazing what they decided on as the best choices. I realize they were trying to get away from that short-skirt look, but c'mon man.1936056762?profile=RESIZE_320x320

Philip, you're thinking of Supergirl's faux adventure of Mighty Maid in Action #260 (Jan 60). I don't think it counts when you disguise yourself as someone else and kiss your cousin.

I did an extensive column on the Supergirl-Jimbo hookups in CBG #1371, way back in Feb. 2000. There was certainly a lot of smoke there, if not fire.

1936056903?profile=RESIZE_320x320The Kara-Jim Imaginary Story in SPJO #57 was a classic for bringing that relationship to its natural result, albeit in the usual Mopee-like way (even for an Imaginary Story). It was included in the Greatest Imaginary Stories TPB for which I wrote the introduction, which I was glad to see. You just can't beat the classics.

-- MSA

• "I realize they were trying to get away from that short-skirt look, but c'mon man."

The irony is, by the late 60's/early 70's, SHORT skirts were definitely "in"! (The more bare skin the better.)

• The irony is, by the late 60's/early 70's, SHORT skirts were definitely "in"! (The more bare skin the better.)

I dunno if it's irony in reverse, but by the end of her stay in ADVENTURE COMICS, the default costume for Supergirl included the hot pants. Or I should say, hot pants with Peter Pan slippers. I was going to say, as long as Bob Oksner was drawing her, she looked good in anything... but then I remembered the cover to ADVENTURE # 412 I posted above.

1936058656?profile=original

• Those hot pants became her default costume after the unitard and wackier stuff. They were the main costume on the later issues of Adventure and were still what she was wearing when the kitty licked her hand on the cover of Supergirl #3 in 1973.

I understand the problem of wearing traditional super-hero boots with those hot pants, but there HAD to be a better choice besides those slippers. Even the buccanneer boots on the Ugliest Costume Ever from #415 would've been better.

-- MSA

• Aren't buccaneer boots and hot pants generally a recommended combination?

: )

• Oh, I'm joining this discussion late...and I thought you were talking about Cap's boots and shorts... hahahaha!

• You got this deep into the thread and thought we were talking about Captain America? Now that's what I call skimming!

-- MSA

• Henry R. Kujawa said:

Aren't buccaneer boots and hot pants generally a recommended combination?

: )

Still a valid question for Cap, though.

This reply was deleted.