JMS is doing a complete timeline reboot/overhaul, as announced at The Source. There's a more in-depth interview at CBR.

I was planning to drop the book at 600, but I have to admit I'm intrigued.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A lot to be said for losing the 1970s Miss World Swimsuit, but that jacket is a bit 90s...

Don't comicbook artists follow women's fashions at all? I guess they are too busy imagining what women look like with virtually no clothes at all on, instead of looking at what they are actually wearing.

The reason I ask is that the only article of women's attire that I can point to as being currently in fashion in a big way, something that future decades will look back on and say "That is soooo 2010", is flaming GREEK SANDALS!

Like so

sandals.jpg

Not red superhero boots, not those sleek biker boots in that picture. Greek sandals that any Amazon princess would be proud to wear as a signifier of her Classical heritage.

I doubt this change is going to last long (just until the lunchbox and duvet cover licencers get wind of it), so wearing 2010 fashions isn't going to date her going forward in any case.

Rant over. I'll read that article now, and wish JMS and co good luck with their project...
  • Those posters at the DC source are hilarious.

One guy said of this:

"I actually just threw up…how dare you do this. THIS IS DISGRACEFUL. I hope you lose the rights to WW. I am now done collecting comics. GOOD JOB!"

Priceless.
  • I know.. whatever the costume's merits or lack of them, it's always fun to watch fanboy conniptions.
  • They would be nice.

I am giving this a gigantic shrug...the fact that it is part of alt.timeline means to me that they will eventually put her right back in the swimsuit. I much rather they simply added pants, just like they added the cape during Rucka's run and use it every once in a while like a actual woman does... Wearing a variety of looks depending on what is appropriate.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:
    Pants? Does she really need pants?

Mark
  • I'm tellin' ya, those folks posting comments at The Source sure make you proud to be a comics fan. [/sarcasm]

I think the new outfit is okay. I'd change the boots to sandals, but otherwise it's good. It won't last, and that's a shame, because I think Wondy could use a costume update. As for the story...I guess I'll be the anti-fanboy and read it first before I pass judgement.
  • It may be justifying an obviously sexist view but couldn't showing that much skin emphasize how tough she is, that she needs no protection much like Bryne's take on the Sub-Mariner? It is a proud representation of the female form. True, there is nothing wrong with variety but can she be Wonder Woman dressed like that, as Superman without his red shorts and blue tights or Batman without his cape and cowl? She has no inhabitions or forced modesty, she is Woman, hear her roar!

Besides everytime they try to update her image, she looks more like Wonder Girl than Wonder Woman!
  • I don't like the jacket or the choker or the Michael Jackson wristbands, but I do like the rest of it.
  • I always liked the Mrs. Peel look, so this intrigues me...
  • Y'know, I've always hated that white stripe down the front of the boots. I always thought the solid red boot looked so, so much better.

And yeah -- I see sandals everywhere I turn when I'm out and about. They missed a step on that one.
  • I have absolutely no problem losing the star-spangled swimsuit; it never made sense for Diana's character (in its sexual appeal to men), and writers have always had to jump through hoops to explain why it's based on the U.S. flag. And ages-old costumes can be amended and changed -- just look at Robin, who successfully switched to long pants and dark cloak after decades in what looked like chain mail panties and big yellow target on his back. Does anybody really miss the old suit, and has there been one iota of trademark problems? Nay, nay, nay I say, so yay for a change.

But I can't say I like this much. As others have noted, the jacket is too '90s (and Diana DID wear a jacket back then, or close to it when Artemis was Wonder Woman, so this has a been-there-done-that vibe). The tiara's construction looks like it'd dig into her forehead skin (and even if she's invulnerable, girls in costume contests aren't), there's not enough Greek going on (and, yes, sandals would be obvious, so where are they?), the wrist thingies are too busy and unattractive, and the pants aren't busy enough -- where do the pants stop and footwear begin? Are they Spandex? Leg warmers? Footie pyjamas? All in all, I think it's a poor design -- and not near iconic enough for the most iconic woman in comics.

But as Ana said, this too shall pass. And it may make more sense in context of the story. But I do look forward to the day when someone updates Diana's costume to something that's less strip-club and more authentic, warrior-like, iconic and attractive.

And the lack of any sort of chest thingie makes me ask -- does Diana no longer wear the Magic Girdle of Aphrodite or whatever? I know THIS one doesn't but I mean in general? Or was that her mother? I just realized I've kinda lost track of whatever version of Diana's powers/costuming has been in vogue for the last few years. Is there still a Divine Bustier of Olympus, or whatever it was?

Also: How many people noticed this thread's title was an allusion to a Rob Rodi novel? Well done, Mr. Staeger!
This reply was deleted.