Starting with the first volume of Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Disk One:

Baseball Bugs (1945), Directed by I. Freleng.

Bugs plays singlehandedly against the thuggish Gas-House Gorillas.  Amusing enough, not an all-time favorite.  I always wonder how this cartoon goes over in countries where they don't play baseball. This one closes with Bugs saying "And that's the end", instead of the more common "That's all folks!"

Views: 2634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Water, Water Every Hare (1950), Directed by Charles M. Jones.

Bugs vs. an Evil Scientist and his monster Rudolph.  Always liked the design on Rudolph.  Bugs as a hairdresser is amusing, too.

Are you familiar with “Momo the Monster” (short for “Missouri Monster”)? Probably not if you’re not from the Show-Me state, but it’s a bigfoot-like creature, drawing of which bear a striking resemblance to Rudolf. (Do a Google search for “MO” information.) From the very first time I heard of it, I knew someone had simply described Rudolf from “Water, Water Every Hare.” Turns out, that is exactly what the little girl who first reported it had done. As I recall, she got herself caught up in a lie that quickly spiraled out of control. Years later, she admitted she made the whole thing up, yet “sightings” persist to this day.

Big House Bunny (1948), Directed by I. Freleng.

Bugs vs. prison guard Sam, here called "Sam Schultz". Not bad. there's a scene in this in which Sam accidentally hangs himself - I bet they wouldn't get away with that, today.

Big Top Bunny (1950), Directed by Robert McKimson.

Bugs vs, Bruno the circus bear. Not particularly memorable.

My Bunny Lies Over the Sea (1948), Directed by Charles M.Jones.

Bugs vs. an irate Scotsman.  OK, but not amazing. 

"Look at that horrible monster, attackting that poor old lady!"

The Baron said:

Another one of those references that probably meant something at the time, but which totally soars over my head: "you notice I didn't say 'Richard'?"

It was a popular song. My dad used to sing it, until we got a next-door neighbor named Richard.

You just don't meet too many people named "Pigmeat" anymore.

This week, I interviewed not one but two young ladies named Princess.  If I'd gotten a resume from someone named Pigmeat, I'd have hired him on the spot.

I've worked with two women named Queen and one named Precious.

PowerBook Pete (aka Tim Cousar) said:

The Baron said:

Another one of those references that probably meant something at the time, but which totally soars over my head: "you notice I didn't say 'Richard'?"

It was a popular song. My dad used to sing it, until we got a next-door neighbor named Richard.

Cool, thanks!

THAT''s what he says!!!

I don't know what it means either.

The Baron said:

High Diving Hare (1948), Directed by I. Freleng.

Bugs and Sam battle over a vaudeville high diving act - for some reason, Sam yelling "Bring on Fearless Freep!" just kills me. That, and "Ah hate you."

Love the look when the bull "eats" the rifle!!

The Baron said:

Bully for Bugs (1952), Directed by Charles M. Jones.

Bugs fighting a bull in a bullfighting arena. Not a huge favorite, but amusing enough.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service