Looney Tunes

Starting with the first volume of Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Disk One:

Baseball Bugs (1945), Directed by I. Freleng.

Bugs plays singlehandedly against the thuggish Gas-House Gorillas.  Amusing enough, not an all-time favorite.  I always wonder how this cartoon goes over in countries where they don't play baseball. This one closes with Bugs saying "And that's the end", instead of the more common "That's all folks!"

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rabbit Seasoning (1951), Directed by Charles M.Jones.

Daffy tries to sic Elmer on Bugs, with predictable results. I've seen this cartoon countless times over at least the last 45 years, and it still makes me laugh. Chuck Jones was a genius. "Pronoun trouble."  "Shoot him now!"   Genius.  On a side note, Elmer sure does fall for Bugs in drag pretty quickly, doesn't he?

• Long-Haired Hare (1948), Directed by Charles M. Jones

Bugs vs. uptight opera singer Giovanni Jones. Not a favorite, but still entertaining. Climaxes with Bugs compelling Jones to maintain an insanely long note.  I remember that when I was a kid, I totally didn't get the "Leopold!" joke, since at the time I hadn't heard of Leopold Stokowski. Also, I had no idea what "liquid alum" was. Bugs in drag again, this time as a bobby soxer.

• What’s the… I don’t know, “purpose”… of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection? It’s apparently not chronological, more does it seem to focus on a single director or creative vision. What makes these particular cartoons “golden”?

• Dunno. While the disks are vaguely "themed" - the first disk is titled "The Best of Bugs Bunny", there doesn't otherwise seem to be much "logic" to how they are presented.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

What makes these particular cartoons “golden”?

MSRP = $65. Ka-CHING!

• That’s pretty much what I had determined. I’ve always been a Warner Bros. man, but I married a Disney girl. We have several Disney shorts collections (mainly Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck) and the Popeyes, but the only collections of WB cartoons I are on VHS. I’ve considered buying this one in the past, but I’ve been holding out for something more comprehensive.

Have you guys ever seen Bugs Bunny: Superstar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugs_Bunny:_Superstar

I saw it at the theater (but never since) and it changed my life.

• ...As for the Loons , does anyone else here - The comics-shop owners ??? - even FOLLOW DC Entertainment's LOONEY TOONS title ~ I've been buying it for YEARS and it's over 200 issues now ~ SOMEONE must ?!?!!!!!!!!

• I've never read the comics - it's like the Sonic the Hedgehog book, it's gone on for ages, even though I don't know anyone that reads it.

• High Diving Hare (1948), Directed by I. Freleng.

Bugs and Sam battle over a vaudeville high diving act - for some reason, Sam yelling "Bring on Fearless Freep!" just kills me. That, and "Ah hate you."

Another one of those references that probably meant something at the time, but which totally soars over my head: "you notice I didn't say 'Richard'?"

• Bully for Bugs (1952), Directed by Charles M. Jones.

Bugs fighting a bull in a bullfighting arena. Not a huge favorite, but amusing enough.

This reply was deleted.