Okay, okay, okay...I was meaning to put up a post specific to one thing about MAD....and then, to-day, completely unexpectedly, I see the latest ish, #550,  in the local CVS...the " Landmark FINAL Issue " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-<> Okay, okay, okay...they're re-starting at a new #1, so says the bacover ) Haven't even it opened yet.

I had read of a " new direction " and editor, and a move to WB's LA offices before. Obviously they're " opening a new numbering sequence ". They're stopping at 55% of William M. Gaines' goal, actually, I recall that old Frank Jacobs biography saying that he was constantly asked by the Post Office when he was going to start a Volume 2...which would cost s little more money...and he said that he'd do it at after #1000. I wonder if Jacobs (still in recent issues) will be in the new MAD-SCHM~ uh, MAD????????????????????????? Stay tuned!!!!!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For those who are unaware, MAD is going to start over with a new #1 soon. I feel like I should be outraged, but I'm just too tired.

• I don't believe I've looked at a MAD in at least 25 years. Good luck to them, anyway.

• I think MAD is -- or was, when I was younger -- perfect education for the American adolescent. The subtext of every issue was "authority figures are idiots and they are lying to you." I think every American should learn that as early as possible.

After a certain point, though, it just gets repetitive.

• It is true that very few of the things that I enjoyed when I was 14 are still amusing  to me as an adult.

Captain Comics said:

I think MAD is -- or was, when I was younger -- perfect education for the American adolescent. The subtext of every issue was "authority figures are idiots and they are lying to you." I think every American should learn that as early as possible.

• Seems to me Mad's time has passed.  I wonder if they keep the magazine going for the sake of licensing purposes

• Captain Comics said:

I think MAD is -- or was, when I was younger -- perfect education for the American adolescent. The subtext of every issue was "authority figures are idiots and they are lying to you." I think every American should learn that as early as possible.

doc photo said:

Seems to me Mad's time has passed.  I wonder if they keep the magazine going for the sake of licensing purposes

I think you're both right. I used to read MAD a lot, but its way of reflexively declaring everything it satirized to be crap got tiresome. Plus it changed; it's a lot cruder and raunchier than it was. Maybe it had to go that route to keep up with the times or attract the small audience that it has, but it lost some of its charm doing so.

This reply was deleted.