Replies

• I guess it's so.:-( I came here after reading the Chicago Sun-Times' version - which didn't mention the continued DM availability but said that the annu.issue will have new material! Why would DC bother with continued magazine publication at all?

• Glad it will be available still in the direct market--at least for now, I hate to say.

I literally learned to read by reading MAD and Garfield strip books.

• Maybe they should make MAD comic book size again?

• Tom Richmond post a lengthy essay about MAD's demise here: https://www.tomrichmond.com/the-end-of-the-madness/04/07/2019/
  • Tom Richmond's article gives me new information and reminds me of what I had forgotten. I think I knew that Gaines retained control. His death and the decision to move the operation across the country (think Agriculture Dept) were probably a one-two punch. 

It's hard to believe that a reprint version that's only available in comic shops will survive, even if some people still want it. If it's non-returnable that will probably be the coup de grâce.

• ...I think Mad has tended, briefly, to be an underperformer in comics shops all throughout the DM era. Would this reprint version concentrate on the personality names among the Mad cartoonists - Sergio, Don Martin, et Al?

• ...It looks like a 2nd part to this reply isn't going up. Sob!!!!!!!!!!!

• The end of MAD made Page 3 of both "The Daily News" and "The New York Post" with them having the same take on it, surprisingly. It may not mean much to millennials  but to those of my generation and prior ones, it was as risqué and thought-provoking as kids could get!

• MAD was virtually necessary in the pre-Internet days. How else were children supposed to learn to mistrust authority?

Anyway, Marvel is going to publish a CRAZY special and trade paperb...

• I see that the 1973 Marvel comic book title Crazy was all reprints from the earlier Not Brand Echh.

I wasn't aware that the magazine Crazy was a Marvel title.

Apparently they also had a 1953 comic book title of the same name that ran 7 issues.

This reply was deleted.