I saw " Man Of Steel " at a midnight show last night/this ayem .

Briefly , I have sort of a liking for super-hero stuff that follows a litle bit more a " real ' science fiction approach - While , admittedly , basically still sticking to the structure of fights and conflict in the story .

MOS rather fulfilled that .

It explored how the Superman concept might've been set up , the whole Krypotn thing , and how it might work out down on Earth , pretty well .

Well , i thought so .

Views: 3179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm kind of embarrassed for the writers and director, in that they were creating a new Superman, and that's what they thought he is. But he fits pretty well into the New52 from what I've seen, so maybe that's how DC sees him, too.

True, they didn't do another sequel to Donner's Superman movies, they remade the first two without Lex. Ponderous Jor-El on dystopian Krypton, Kal comes to Earth, meets Lois, Zod and his cutie pie sidekick arrive, big fight, big fight, the end. Yeah, totally different from Donner's Superman.

Many people have pointed out how Superman's only goal was to take down Zod, when he needed to make it clearer that he had two goals--taking down Zod and minimizing damage and deaths. But Superman had had decades to get used to his powers, and he knew taking off their masks disoriented them. He took advantage of none of that.

Snapping Zod's neck seems the easy way out. Maybe he couldn't point Zod's head at the ground, or put his own hand over Zod's eyes, or fly up into the air with Zod. But what makes him Superman is that *he always finds a way*. Otherwise, as noted, he's just Really Strong Guy.

Smallville got that right. Several times, he was up against virtually unstoppable guys, and all his friends were saying, "Clark, you've got to stop this guy and there's only one way." And he'd say, "I don't have to do that." And he was always right. Sometimes it was implausible or really lucky, but the point was: he was right. He was a huge believer in finding the good in everyone and giving second chances, often to his disadvantage. But that's what makes him Superman and not Super-Batman.

-- MSA

...Do you mean the geneally considered " classic " first two Reeve flicks as well , not just the last two ?????????

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“Whenever anyone talks about making comic books more adult, they’re talking about taking the fun out of them.” It’s been said before, and although I’m aware Man of Steel is not a comics book (I am so aware of that!), the sentiment rings true for this movie as well. If ever there was an example of a character which has had the fun sucked out of it, this is it. Let’s tick off the list of adults’ complaints about Superman, shall we?

Superman is too much of a Boy Scout.
How can a pair of glasses disguise Superman’s identity?
If Lois is such a great reporter, how come she hasn’t figured it out?
Why does Superman wear his “briefs” outside his pants?
Why doesn’t Batman just kill the Joker?

One way or another, all of these complaints were addressed and laid to rest in the recent movie (even that last one, after a fashion). In many ways, I think the worst thing that ever happened to Superman was that string of Christopher Reeve movies in the ‘80s. Man of Steel is little more than a darker, “adult” version of the best bits of the first two. It’s ironic how many parents brought their little children to see MoS, at least to the showing I attended. My favorite moment occurred just after Superman snapped Zod’s neck and I overheard the little girl in front of me turn to her dad and ask, “What did he do?” Unfortunately, I didn’t hear her father’s answer.

And let’s talk about that 600 pound gorilla. You may think I’m going to complain about Superman’s use of lethal force, but I’m not really. It’s not that he used it, but rather the way he was forced to use it (i.e., by dint of writer’s fiat) that I object to. John Byrne depicted under what circumstances Superman might be forced to use lethal force, and he (arguably) did it right.

But the circumstance of this movie smacks of the second Spider-Man film in which the director had to set Spidey’s mask on fire in order to show Toby McGuire’s pretty face. Besides, snapping a man’s neck is more Wonder Woman’s schtick than Superman’s. :P

If Zack Snyder wanted to do Miracleman, he should have done Miracleman. I think he’s referencing comics, just not the right ones.

Ultimately, I find it hard to get too worked up about Man of Steel. It’s just a movie.

Yes. Especially those two.

'Kay . Than-Q . I & II ???

I just got back from seeing the film for the first time and having watched just two trailers and having read no spoilers.

And I generally found the film enjoyable and how I typically perceive Superman.

Namely, I found his unfettering benevolence to be typical of his character. He is respectful, patient and non-aggressive -- until someone forces his hand. His patience in particular really resonated with me.

I also liked how we get the impression that Superman cannot (despite his best intentions) save everyone and be everywhere.

I am not terribly troubled by what happened in the Museum. Still, you'd think he would just fly him away for the final beatdown.

Responding to ClarkKentDC's concern about Lois' initial story: I imagine it's the only way she could tell the story since she was so intimately involved in the incident. Perhaps what she was reading was a sidebar to another story. 

Further, I'm not too bothered by her endless budget for globetrotting. (I forget -- was she on "leave" at that point?) Anyway, she's a celebrity journalist (that is a journalist who is a celebrity), and they get perks no other journalist gets. I can imagine she probably has a really substantially funded P-Card. (do you get a cash award for a Pulitzer? Maybe that funded it).

I assumed he tricked a whole bunch of people to get the job at the Planet. Not the honest way to do it, but that's what I assumed and have no doubt he could falsify documents, articles and references if that's what he wanted to do.

The best character, after Superman, was Feora. She was amazing.

------------------------

I did find some things troubling/annoying:

-- Kansasians (is that a word?) hiding under a bridge to escape a tornado. It's well documented that they are a bad place to be. The twister was clearly heading for those cars, but running to an underpass is not what people do anymore.

-- Given the amount of destruction he caused -- either firsthand or secondhand -- I can't see how he wouldn't be ran off of  Earth! The talking heads on the news shows will have people HATING Superman in hours after it all clears up.

-- A ridiculous amount of product placement. Don't forget Sears, ClarkKentDC!

-- Why DID they want Lois Lane on the ship?

-- Why DID he offer advice to Zod about operating without his helmet?

-- Desperately wished Terrance Stamp was Zod again. He was so much more entertaining.

-- Didn't like the soundtrack either.

Lumbering Jack said:

I also liked how we get the impression that Superman cannot (despite his best intentions) save everyone and be everywhere.

I am not terribly troubled by what happened in the Museum. Still, you'd think he would just fly him away for the final beatdown.

That's EXACTLY the problem. If you saw that, and I saw that, and everybody here saw that, why didn't the scriptwriter and the director see that?

This week when I went to my friendly neighborhood comic shop, I saw this on the racks:

Now, would somebody explain to me why I should look at this, and think that the so-called "Superman" in Man of Steel did a good thing?

That's easy--the Cap one is bad, because Cap is a good guy who wouldn't hurt others, whereas the Superman one is good because Zod was trying to kill civilians.

IOW, the end justifies the means.

I find it interesting that Superman COULD snap Zod's neck. So much for invulnerability. Jor stated that the Earthlings couldn't kill his son, but obviously enough force applied to his neck, and probably a bullet given sufficient speed, seems to do the job. If he'd put his hand over Zod's eyes, would it have burned him? 

-- MSA

...MSA - ( Will . - Not . - Make . - " Jesuit " . - References - ! )

I have assumed that Kal and Zod , basically anyway , were on equal terms physically (Was Zod's satellite at least damping Kryptonian powers ? I don't think that was , actually , spelt out . ) , this was a rare case of " Superman fighting someone with , essentially , ABSOLUTELY EQUAL powers to him , so he did not have to hold back ( I am told that this " My world is made of cardboard " speech that Big Blue gave in the last episode of " Justice League Unlimited " is famous now - I never watched the series , and I never heard of said speech til' recently , here . )...Perhaps a disadvantage , then , in this fight ( And , MAYBE , at least a partial reason/justification that , instead of thinking of the usual Big Blue-clever Unca Mort/Julie-style way to fix bad Guy's wagon w-out actually KILLING , he had to resort to basic self-defense procedures against a homicidal maniac who is at this moment trying to kill him after having killed many others , being under such strain as this ? Not that there's anything right with that (the killing) , ha ha ha..)

Even before this , I noted Cyber-Soul Jor-El and Lois showing no great regret anyway at Zod's soldiers dying , I remember noticing that part in it....

Retreating into the mental memory-trick mansions of my mind...( Oops . A venial one ? )

Mr. Silver Age said:

That's easy--the Cap one is bad, because Cap is a good guy who wouldn't hurt others, whereas the Superman one is good because Zod was trying to kill civilians.

IOW, the end justifies the means.

I find it interesting that Superman COULD snap Zod's neck. So much for invulnerability. Jor stated that the Earthlings couldn't kill his son, but obviously enough force applied to his neck, and probably a bullet given sufficient speed, seems to do the job. If he'd put his hand over Zod's eyes, would it have burned him? 

-- MSA

...Would anybody like to see , in the sequel , a villian combination of the inevitable Lex with ----- a reworked version of Terra-Man , for a more phyical battle/" special effects-stuff "-enabling villian ?

For ethnicization of T-M , make him not Caucasian , but  some combination African-American/Latino/American Indian ---Oh , and what if the trilogy is expaned to three-and-a-half by a " World Of Krypton " movie mostly avoiding Superman but having a framing story adapting/taking off from the late Silver Age " 100 Years , Lost , Strayed Or Stolen " story ????????? With some appearance by Henry , making it a " third-and-a-half " movie in his contract .

I noted the distinct hints that in the movie's version of things Krypton's explosion may have in fact happened hundreds - or thousands - of Earth years back !!!!!!!!!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Would anybody like to see , in the sequel , a villian combination of the inevitable Lex with ----- a reworked version of Terra-Man , for a more phyical battle/" special effects-stuff "-enabling villian ?

No.

For ethnicization of T-M , make him not Caucasian , but  some combination African-American/Latino/American Indian ---Oh , and what if the trilogy is expaned to three-and-a-half by a " World Of Krypton " movie mostly avoiding Superman but having a framing story adapting/taking off from the late Silver Age " 100 Years , Lost , Strayed Or Stolen " story ????????? With some appearance by Henry , making it a " third-and-a-half " movie in his contract .

As far as Terra-Man or any other character, ethnicity is unimportant to me.  I thought Fishburne did well in his limited role as Perry White, and that's all that's important - did the actor fit the role.  I think you can have many better villains than Terra-Man though.

I think a "World of Krypton" movie, with just a Superman cameo, would be this century's Supergirl, as in I think it would bomb.

...Well , since the " ethnicization "of characters once shown as " white " is done so often these days , and there were more " persons of color " participants in the Wild West than older movies (were allowed to) show us.........

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

No.

As far as Terra-Man or any other character, ethnicity is unimportant to me.  I thought Fishburne did well in his limited role as Perry White, and that's all that's important - did the actor fit the role.  I think you can have many better villains than Terra-Man though.

I think a "World of Krypton" movie, with just a Superman cameo, would be this century's Supergirl, as in I think it would bomb.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"SCRIBBLY and SHELDON MAYER This is the first story that reveals how the editorial slant of the…"
55 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"I am usually not interested in “Greatest Stories” collections of comics (or movies).…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"Superman & Batman The Smithsonian collection starts out very much like the Feiffer collection,…"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"Another punctuation-related one was... "And 'seldom' is heard, a discouraging…"
6 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"While the TV series had several Dell Four Color Specials throughout its run this is the only one,…"
6 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"And, just in case you're thinking I'm only going to be a one-trick pony during the month…"
6 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The first appearance I can find of both of Superboy's foster parents appearing on a cover is…"
7 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J posted a discussion

A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics

My recent discussions of Seduction of the Innocent and All In Color For a Dime have drawn some…See More
8 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"When Generations Clash! "
10 hours ago
Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) posted a News post
11 hours ago
Doctor Hmmm? replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Inspired by Gwandanaland and tomorrow's celebrations, I've decided to take a break from…"
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service