I saw " Man Of Steel " at a midnight show last night/this ayem .

Briefly , I have sort of a liking for super-hero stuff that follows a litle bit more a " real ' science fiction approach - While , admittedly , basically still sticking to the structure of fights and conflict in the story .

MOS rather fulfilled that .

It explored how the Superman concept might've been set up , the whole Krypotn thing , and how it might work out down on Earth , pretty well .

Well , i thought so .

Views: 3177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I ain't proper . Yo , homes . Back in the day .

Knowahtimsayin ? Word to your mutha . Ice ice baby . 

And (says the copy editor) one exclamation point per sentence is usually sufficient.

You have begun traveling a long and winding road that will lead nowhere. Trust me, I've tried it before. Best not to take up the space.

-- MSA

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I ain't proper . Yo , homes . Back in the day .

Knowahtimsayin ? Word to your mutha . Ice ice baby .

You know the difference. Use your knowledge and enlighten the rest of the world.

Mr. Silver Age said:

You have begun traveling a long and winding road that will lead nowhere. Trust me, I've tried it before. Best not to take up the space.

Thank you, Craig.

I've been sitting here for the past half-hour mentally drafting a post that would address what you and Pete and CK have been taking small bites of. I am, perhaps, one of the regulars here best suited to tackle such a thing, to go directly to the heart of the matter, yet preserve the dignity of all.

Gauging from the posts on the previous page and this, it appeared to be the time to finally point out the Elephant in the Room.

But if you advise from personal experience---and you're better at the art of written communication than I am---that it would be a futile effort, then it must be so.  I have no desire to accomplish little more than wetting down a perfectly good piece of rope.

Oh, man, I haven't laughed so hard in days!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Knowahtimsayin ?

Ummmm..... no.

(slow clap.)

sadako'sprison lovelessactor'slastname, gentlemen, sadako'sprison lovelessactor'slastname.

In the immortal words of Robert Heinlein, Never try to teach a pig to sing.

-- MSA

They had it on cable tonight and I don't think it was really horrible.  Violent as all get out, if there was a building left standing it was because I think that they simply forgot to smash it.  I could see the ending coming from the start with Zod but I'm amazed that after having to take out a drone to keep his privacy Clark doesn't think that they'll keep and eye on Lois and see him walking around the planet building.

On the whole though I found the movie to be very cynical and have very little faith in man.  From the start where Costner is worried about the government to the end where Superman has to down a drone to keep the government from following him, this after giving the government no reason not to trust him and every reason too trust him.  It sort of puts up a big sign saying 'man is bad'.  I've never been a big Superman fan but I've always thought of the concept as very optimistic.  Here's a guy who has the power to be the ultimate bully and he doesn't use it that way.  That's an example that I could follow and if the guy saved the planet at great risk I'd think we'd at least be a little grateful.  But the movie painted a very sad, cynical picture with a few flare spots of heroism against the backdrop of distrust and suspicion.

You say you don't think it was really horrible, but your comments depict a pretty horrible movie. I thought the Krypton part was pretty boring and overly elaborate, the plot was over complicated with its codex and spaceships hidden for thousands of years, and, as you say, the tone was fearful and suspicious.

Pa could have spent those early years teaching Clark ways to hide his identity, and Clark could've come home, excited that he'd found a new way to save the kids on the bus and couldn't wait to tell Pa his new trick. Instead, Clark was shamed for saving the kids and Pa virtually told him he should have let them die.

Pa could've died helping to protect Clark's identity (if that was his purpose), by jumping in front of a bullet that otherwise would have struck Clark and bounced off. Instead, he wouldn't let Clark save him, so Clark just stood helpless while his father died rather than expose himself to his fearful friends.

It was all pretty sad. I supposed his exile and travels to hide himself was considered a realistic approach to being a scared outsider afraid to reveal who he was. That's the latest style for his origin, but I don't know that it's the obvious response. It probably is if you grow up with Man-Is-Bad Pa.

I'm hoping the next one is more uplifting, now that Clark fits in with a group of workers and he has an ally in Lois (and the writers have read some of the universal criticism of how sad their version of Superman has been).

If nothing else, if Superman doesn't change, there won't be any contrast with Batman in the next movie.

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness'
"Nice observations, Cap.The movie was exciting, and yes, being a full horror entry was nice as…"
45 minutes ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness'
"Shuma-Gorath was named by Robert E. Howard, not Lovecraft.  Who knows whether there is even a…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"I forgot to mention that issues #71-76 are collected in a tpb titled "Spontaneous…"
9 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"As bad as these movies are, watching them is better than watching the news. ETERNAL EVIL (1985):…"
9 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
""Doc Samson" I'm gonna assume you meant "Doc Savage", Skipper."
11 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"My wife and just assembled 2 short bookshelves and a chair. I am feeling very stabby."
11 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I will have to see That Darn Cat. Coincidentally, I was watching the film noir Down Three Dark…"
12 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"I could, but it would wreck the video, and nearly everyone at the convention lives in Canada. If…"
12 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"At the time, it appeared that Roy Thomas was the only writer who acknowledged that Marvel had a…"
13 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"He has an interesting theory that the "Golden Age of Superheroes" coincides with World…"
13 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service